Notable Performances

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Notable Performances

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Post unusually good individual game performances in this thread.

I'll start off with two:

Centennial's Gabbie Hughes scored the first four goals of the game - including two shorties in the second - and then added one more in the third in leading the Cougars to a 5-1 win over Andover.

Mallory Tidona was perfect in goal, stopping all 41 Red Wing shots, enabling Northfield to upset the Wingers 1-0.
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Re: Notable Performances

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Post unusually good individual game performances in this thread.

I'll start off with two:

Centennial's Gabbie Hughes scored the first four goals of the game - including two shorties in the second - and then added one more in the third in leading the Cougars to a 5-1 win over Andover.

Mallory Tidona was perfect in goal, stopping all 41 Red Wing shots, enabling Northfield to upset the Wingers 1-0.
St. Francis goalie Rachel Miller stopped 45 of 45 shots, to shut out Rogers. She is 5 and 0, with 4 shutouts and a 98% save percentage along with an impressive 0.60 GAA.

NWC's Mackenzie Bourgerie had 3G and 3A in an 8 to 2 win over Chisago.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Stillwater's Olivia Knox had an impressive 38 save shutout in a 3-0 win over Cretin-Derham Hall. 8)
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Jada Habisch's pure hat trick in the first period propelled Buffalo to a 5-0 win over Chisago Lakes. Habisch also added another goal in the second period, the 4th straight goal of the game.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

At the Holiday break Centennial's Gabbie Hughes ranks 3rd in the State for goals scored (25) and 4th in total points (39):

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/leaders

...despite her team having had the 3rd most difficult schedule of all teams in the State, according to KRACH:

http://www.mghca.com/page/show/427559-k ... e-rankings

In her last game she scored two of Centennial's three goals in the Cougars' 3-2 win over the then No. 1 ranked Edina Hornets. 8)
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Kudos to Hibbing/Chisholm's Abby Edstrom who made 38 saves and notched a save percentage of .974 to preserve her team's 1-1 tie against South St. Paul. But it must have been heartbreaking for Edstrom and her team when the Packers' Brooke Deering scored the tying goal with just one second left on the clock, sending the game into overtime. Although the game officially ended in a 1-1 tie, the Packers advanced to the Kaposia Classic semifinal after winning the shootout.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Kudos to Hibbing/Chisholm's Abby Edstrom who made 38 saves and notched a save percentage of .974 to preserve her team's 1-1 tie against South St. Paul. But it must have been heartbreaking for Edstrom and her team when the Packers' Brooke Deering scored the tying goal with just one second left on the clock, sending the game into overtime. Although the game officially ended in a 1-1 tie, the Packers advanced to the Kaposia Classic semifinal after winning the shootout.
Agreed and happy to see someone mention this in the thread.

PS that SSP team is very good this year from what I hear.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

Did anyone catch the score of the Warroad game today against some poor team from Minot ND? 20-rip. I suppose this is the type of notable performance no one wants to see. Would the MSHSL even count this game, or the stats that go with it? I know, Warroad cannot control who they get in a holiday tournament. But come on, they can certainly control the tournaments they play in. Their double-A neighbors made the trip down and beat a very good Eagan team today, 5-4.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

Lace'emUp wrote:Did anyone catch the score of the Warroad game today against some poor team from Minot ND? 20-rip. I suppose this is the type of notable performance no one wants to see. Would the MSHSL even count this game, or the stats that go with it? I know, Warroad cannot control who they get in a holiday tournament. But come on, they can certainly control the tournaments they play in. Their double-A neighbors made the trip down and beat a very good Eagan team today, 5-4.
It’s their own tournament! Of course they can control who they get. Although it seems no one wants to travel up there anymore. Only Dodge County and some random obviously week ND teams this year. Embarrassing for them to celebrate their 400th win on this kind of game. :roll:
IceHiker

Post by IceHiker »

Lace'emUp wrote:Did anyone catch the score of the Warroad game today against some poor team from Minot ND? 20-rip. I suppose this is the type of notable performance no one wants to see. Would the MSHSL even count this game, or the stats that go with it? I know, Warroad cannot control who they get in a holiday tournament. But come on, they can certainly control the tournaments they play in. Their double-A neighbors made the trip down and beat a very good Eagan team today, 5-4.
Warroad has always been a class act like this. For years we have noticed every goal has 2 assists (when turned into the Hub) to increase player points and they run the score up on every team they can. I will say that this year they have more actual Warroad players than in the past years. Very hard for (out of town) players to turn down a $10,000 Marvin scholarship for college.

https://www.twincities.com/2007/04/05/m ... l-grads-2/
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

IceHiker wrote:
Warroad has always been a class act like this. For years we have noticed every goal has 2 assists (when turned into the Hub) to increase player points and they run the score up on every team they can. I will say that this year they have more actual Warroad players than in the past years. Very hard for (out of town) players to turn down a $10,000 Marvin scholarship for college.

https://www.twincities.com/2007/04/05/m ... l-grads-2/
The story does not indicated the scholarship is directly related to sports activities. However, from most of us who have been on this forum long enough know that several players from our metro area (or close enough) have made the move up to Warroad in the past.

I do have a problem with the MSHSL allowing a varsity hockey team to basically sanction it's own tournament. Shouldn't there be some check-and-balance? And WHY would Warroad ever want to play a team they damn well know they'll beat this badly? I wonder if Minot had to pay any tournament fees to get their a$$ kicked so badly. They would've been better off having a fun pick-up game with their 12A team. One would hope that no one had to pay to get into the building to watch.
highgloveside

Post by highgloveside »

Only way to cure is for Warroad to come down and play a few teams in the metro top 10. Not the top 5 but the bottom half. Can't fault girls for putting up gaudy numbers, They have had plenty of Gals prove their worth on a National level from up there. Problem is you can't give full kudos to those numbers either. Anyone have that Marvin #?
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

Lace'emUp wrote:
I do have a problem with the MSHSL allowing a varsity hockey team to basically sanction it's own tournament. Shouldn't there be some check-and-balance? And WHY would Warroad ever want to play a team they damn well know they'll beat this badly? I wonder if Minot had to pay any tournament fees to get their a$$ kicked so badly. They would've been better off having a fun pick-up game with their 12A team. One would hope that no one had to pay to get into the building to watch.
I am not an AD so purely speculating on some of this. Don't most varsity coaches along with the AD schedule all games? Obviously any conference affiliation has something to do with part of a schedule. What is the difference in scheduling a tourney or the regular season schedule?

A creampuff or punching bag is what it is whether playing in a tourney or a regular season game. It seems to be similar with some Wisconsin and other ND/SD teams that come play in the holiday tourneys in metro. WBL v someone today was 10-0. 20-0 is excessive for sure. There are a handful of teams that consistently pound opponents with multiple goals in the 3rd after having 5-8 goal leads after 2 periods. There are also several teams that could but do not.

It is unfortunate that Warroad along with several other really good hockey teams are far away from the metro. I feel bad for teams (and families/fans) that have to travel several hours each way a bunch of times each year for competitive games. I would like to see Warroad, Brainerd, Roseau, and others more often in the metro but that costs $$$. That is something that the girls side of the game does not have tons of for solving these types of problems. Let alone the wear and tear on the kids, staff, and families for making multiple trips a year.
Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar »

Warroad, is a wonderful community and they have a great hockey tradition. These tournaments are scheduled two years out. The Ad’s and coaches are trying to project where their programs are and where they will be at the time they are scheduling these tournaments. Before you judge to quickly take into consideration that Minot might have been short handed ...injury, sickness, holiday trips etc. The people of Warroad have always been the most gracious hosts and great ambassadors of the game. They have the means to fully fund both boys and girls hockey and keep it affordable so all kids can play. Yes it is sad that a team lost by that large of a margin but it is hard to judge how things played out without being there first hand.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Mnnstar wrote:Warroad, is a wonderful community and they have a great hockey tradition. These tournaments are scheduled two years out. The Ad’s and coaches are trying to project where their programs are and where they will be at the time they are scheduling these tournaments. Before you judge to quickly take into consideration that Minot might have been short handed ...injury, sickness, holiday trips etc. The people of Warroad have always been the most gracious hosts and great ambassadors of the game. They have the means to fully fund both boys and girls hockey and keep it affordable so all kids can play. Yes it is sad that a team lost by that large of a margin but it is hard to judge how things played out without being there first hand.
Can’t roll my eyes any harder at this. Literally no one outside of your own town thinks this is the truth about Warroad’s reputation anymore. No one on this board is trying to take away from your legacy and the history of “hockeytown, usa”; what’s taking away from it are the current and recent players, coaches, and parents who are successfully eroding what has come before and replacing it with a culture that is pretty much the polar opposite of the proud old school traditions.
Side note - it is always hard to tell how good Warroad is until state tourney time as they generally have such a weak SOS. That’s partly location and conference, that’s partly the growing list of ADs who refuse to schedule them.
Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
Mnnstar wrote:Warroad, is a wonderful community and they have a great hockey tradition. These tournaments are scheduled two years out. The Ad’s and coaches are trying to project where their programs are and where they will be at the time they are scheduling these tournaments. Before you judge to quickly take into consideration that Minot might have been short handed ...injury, sickness, holiday trips etc. The people of Warroad have always been the most gracious hosts and great ambassadors of the game. They have the means to fully fund both boys and girls hockey and keep it affordable so all kids can play. Yes it is sad that a team lost by that large of a margin but it is hard to judge how things played out without being there first hand.
Can’t roll my eyes any harder at this. Literally no one outside of your own town thinks this is the truth about Warroad’s reputation anymore. No one on this board is trying to take away from your legacy and the history of “hockeytown, usa”; what’s taking away from it are the current and recent players, coaches, and parents who are successfully eroding what has come before and replacing it with a culture that is pretty much the polar opposite of the proud old school traditions.
Side note - it is always hard to tell how good Warroad is until state tourney time as they generally have such a weak SOS. That’s partly location and conference, that’s partly the growing list of ADs who refuse to schedule them.
They have played Breck, Minnetonka, Lakeville North, Brainerd, Mounds View, All pretty good teams they play Roseau twice, I am not from Warroad though as someone who has dealt with their head coach and AD I can tell you that they are gracious hosts and are embarrassed as much about the score as the Minot team is.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Agree to disagree. As someone who also knows and has often spoken with the coach and AD, I can tell you they are proud to run up the score like this and have their top line players scoring their 5th goals in the third period.

You act as if they were helpless to not score 20 goals. Play your 4th line or jv, stop shooting, show an ounce of class.

They are not embarrassed. Come on. Just like they weren’t embarrassed playing D1 commits at the end of the 3rd period with 18, 13, 10 goal leads earlier in the season.

I like that you want to stay positive and give them the benefit of the doubt. You just won’t find many/any to take that side with you.
HockeyStorm

Post by HockeyStorm »

This is the same team that put up 13 and 18 against other teams prior to the tournament.
Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar »

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Agree to disagree. As someone who also knows and has often spoken with the coach and AD, I can tell you they are proud to run up the score like this and have their top line players scoring their 5th goals in the third period.

You act as if they were helpless to not score 20 goals. Play your 4th line or jv, stop shooting, show an ounce of class.

They are not embarrassed. Come on. Just like they weren’t embarrassed playing D1 commits at the end of the 3rd period with 18, 13, 10 goal leads earlier in the season.

I like that you want to stay positive and give them the benefit of the doubt. You just won’t find many/any to take that side with you.
After doing a little research. So far this season there have been 32 games in which a team has scored more 10 or more. I did not count the games where the margin was 6 or more which would have meant investing a day. Needless to say if we are going to point the finger at Warroad we need to look at the metro also.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

Mnnstar wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Agree to disagree. As someone who also knows and has often spoken with the coach and AD, I can tell you they are proud to run up the score like this and have their top line players scoring their 5th goals in the third period.

After doing a little research. So far this season there have been 32 games in which a team has scored more 10 or more. I did not count the games where the margin was 6 or more which would have meant investing a day. Needless to say if we are going to point the finger at Warroad we need to look at the metro also.
In those 32 games, how many were conference match-ups where the teams involved are forced to play each other and how many were non-conference? Just curious, but if you already threw away the game list, not a big deal (don't look up again for my sake).
Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar »

Lace'emUp wrote:
Mnnstar wrote:

In those 32 games, how many were conference match-ups where the teams involved are forced to play each other and how many were non-conference? Just curious, but if you already threw away the game list, not a big deal (don't look up again for my sake).
about 1/2
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY »

Mnnstar wrote:

4 programs have had 10 or more goals scored on them in 14 of the 32 games you refer to above.

Warroad has scored 10 or more in 4 of their games, along with 9 in one and 8 in another. In those 6 games, they have out scored their opponents 78 to 2. Add in Ft Francis and it is 91 to 4 (that is almost half their games). Anyone can go look and add up the points their top two line tallied in the 3rd.

Some teams they have to play and some they play out of convenience. I don't think that is what the issue is. I think the issue is running up the score.

If you look at their history, it shows this happens a lot, in almost half their games. I don't think anyone would really go after them if their 1st and 2nd lines tallied a majority of the points in the 1st and 2nd and then their 3rd and 4th lines added scoring in the 3rd, but that is not what is happening. Their top two lines continue to add points in the 3rd, and a lot.

In one of their blow outs, when a D1 commit scored her 5th goal in the 3rd, you could see the coach mouth something to the affect, "1 point closer to 300".

He may not love to run up the score, but he certainly doesn't mind doing it - especially when it can move his players up the ranks in the history books. For crying out loud, he openly bragged about it in an interview just this past fall.

It is hard to defend the indefensible - but keep trying.
IceHiker

Post by IceHiker »

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote: 4 programs have had 10 or more goals scored on them in 14 of the 32 games you refer to above.

Warroad has scored 10 or more in 4 of their games, along with 9 in one and 8 in another. In those 6 games, they have out scored their opponents 78 to 2. Add in Ft Francis and it is 91 to 4 (that is almost half their games). Anyone can go look and add up the points their top two line tallied in the 3rd.

Some teams they have to play and some they play out of convenience. I don't think that is what the issue is. I think the issue is running up the score.

If you look at their history, it shows this happens a lot, in almost half their games. I don't think anyone would really go after them if their 1st and 2nd lines tallied a majority of the points in the 1st and 2nd and then their 3rd and 4th lines added scoring in the 3rd, but that is not what is happening. Their top two lines continue to add points in the 3rd, and a lot.

In one of their blow outs, when a D1 commit scored her 5th goal in the 3rd, you could see the coach mouth something to the affect, "1 point closer to 300".

He may not love to run up the score, but he certainly doesn't mind doing it - especially when it can move his players up the ranks in the history books. For crying out loud, he openly bragged about it in an interview just this past fall.

I will agree with you 100%. Warroad has never been the team to back down while playing a weak team. AND they are the team that will give the hit after the game to a teams top player. History repeats itself in the little hockey town of the north. Not too many years ago their girls HS team had only 5 Warroad born players on it.

Back to the topic at hand. Tell me, does this deserves 'Player of the Week'?

Player of the Week candidates

Genevieve Hendrickson, Warroad: The freshman leads the state with 38
assists on the season, and she proved her mettle in 20-0 win over Minot
(N.D.), scoring twice and tallying six assists for an eight-point outing.

Many more quality players putting up great games that week. But I understand, share the wealth. Hockey Hub is a sham.
Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar »

IceHiker wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote: 4 programs have had 10 or more goals scored on them in 14 of the 32 games you refer to above.

I will agree with you 100%. Warroad has never been the team to back down while playing a weak team. AND they are the team that will give the hit after the game to a teams top player. History repeats its self in the little hockey town of the north. Not too many years ago their girls HS team had only 5 Warroad born players on it.

Back to the topic at hand. Tell me, does this deserves 'Player of the Week'?

Player of the Week candidates

Genevieve Hendrickson, Warroad: The freshman leads the state with 38
assists on the season, and she proved her mettle in 20-0 win over Minot
(N.D.), scoring twice and tallying six assists for an eight-point outing.

Many more quality players putting up great games that week. But I understand, share the wealth. Hockey Hub is a sham.
Totally agree I can't see where they get their nominees. To put a period on the discussion to date 121 games have ended up in running time but under double digits. The trend is outstate in the north and south parts of the states. Though there has been a fair share in the Metro.
ghshockeyfan

Score DIF over 10 this season

Post by ghshockeyfan »