2018 fall Elite League

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mnnstar

Re: 2018 fall Elite League

Post by Mnnstar » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:50 am

So why should the people pay the money and keep track of standings if the games don't mean anything? From the scores I saw they were pretty comparable. Black 5-5, 6-1, 6-4,
White 8-0, 7-2, 4-4, 7-3, Interesting to see who showed up for white on those games you see. White beat black head to head in their only game it only makes sense that those two should have played at least one more time. Throw out the first Shattuck game and you have a goals allowed differential of 1 goal between the two teams Black 17 White 18. Who's to say if Black plays Shattuck again they don't get smoked. So I guess I don't understand your logic. I guess it goes back to the question I started with. If the Standings don't mean anything and the tournament doesn't mean anything why pay the money and and invest the time :?: IMO it seems sketchy.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:56 am

Mnnstar wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:33 am
Looking up the standings I see black played Shattuck one less time than white did. White also beat black head to head kind of a head scratch-er that black played Shattuck. When white was the better team overall.
Was that over the course of the season or the Nit? That would seem pretty sketchy without public stats to back that conclusion up

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:45 am

OK genius, Black had a -9 goal differential in the 4 g against Shattuck White had a -17 goal differential which includes, like I posted before a 4-4 tie in which 3 of the goals were scored by players from the Black team. The 4-4 tie is the game you should throw out, which happens to be your best game. Why would you just arbitrarily throw out the first game because you want to for your own math purposes? By the way I looked and Black lost that final game to Shattuck 5-3 which means your "who's to say if Black plays Shattuck again they don't get smoked" comment doesn't hold up either. 5-3 is not smoked, However 8-0 and 7-2 and 7-3 are. If you combined the best of Black and White then you would really have something but that would mean you would probably watching Red or Grey games :P

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:02 pm

LSQ numbers guy here is your time to shine. Which team has the better probability vs Shattuck :?:

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:10 pm

I still don't get your logic so they lost 5-3 then in 4 games so they gave up five so 4 goals less than White against Shattuck. so according to my math that is 26 vs 22. Maybe to quote you the right kids were not there in the 8-0 game and they were there for the 4-4 game. "Elite league is all about who shows up for that particular game." I guess my question still hasn't been answered why play the games and keep score and keep wins and losses if the standings don't matter? Are you from Wisconsin? Which brings up my second question regarding Woody's post. Why does Shattuck have a say in who plays in the Elite league Playoffs. I thought they got to go Nationals automatically?

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:00 pm

If I was from Wisconsin I would understand what the heck your trying to say #-o . I'm just trying to use the math and games that have been played to justify my position. Even if it's hard for you to understand you can at least tell yourself that Black fared better against Shattuck no matter if you use my math or yours. Obviously you know by now they don't go completely off standings. By they way how would the standings look if you gave White a loss instead of the tie they earned using Black team players? Surely Massalsa can weigh in on this

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:05 pm

The high school season has started. Let's all focus on the most important time of year for these girls. None of these girls will remember if Elite [insert color here] won or lost a game because half their team was missing because of Homecoming. They will remember being at State.

woody

Post by woody » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:44 pm

Mnnstar wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:10 pm
I still don't get your logic so they lost 5-3 then in 4 games so they gave up five so 4 goals less than White against Shattuck. so according to my math that is 26 vs 22. Maybe to quote you the right kids were not there in the 8-0 game and they were there for the 4-4 game. "Elite league is all about who shows up for that particular game." I guess my question still hasn't been answered why play the games and keep score and keep wins and losses if the standings don't matter? Are you from Wisconsin? Which brings up my second question regarding Woody's post. Why does Shattuck have a say in who plays in the Elite league Playoffs. I thought they got to go Nationals automatically?
Because the Elite League staff, Shattuck, and Minnesota Hockey all decide who they feel is the best team to compete for the state title. Shattuck doesn't go to nationals automatically, that is the point of that game. If they lose they need to have an at large bid based off their regular season performance. The decision to play Black was to make sure they had the most competitive game as possible for the state title. They felt Black played Shattuck better over the course of the Elite League season, and they felt Black had better goaltending to keep the game respectable. There is no written rule that the team in Elite League with the best record plays Shattuck. The final game has been hand picked the last 3 years they have done this format. Not sure why you haven't been complaining about this the last 3 years. Must have a daughter on the White team? Don't worry maybe next year your daughter will get a shot at the big state title. :roll:

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:55 pm

highgloveside wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:00 pm
If I was from Wisconsin I would understand what the heck your trying to say #-o . I'm just trying to use the math and games that have been played to justify my position. Even if it's hard for you to understand you can at least tell yourself that Black fared better against Shattuck no matter if you use my math or yours. Obviously you know by now they don't go completely off standings. By they way how would the standings look if you gave White a loss instead of the tie they earned using Black team players? Surely Massalsa can weigh in on this
The fog is beginning to lift but what about the games Black won using grey players so what you are saying is Shattuck hand picks who they want to play to go to nationals, I know I am an idiot but I think that's what I just read. Oh the light bulb #-o :idea: just came on this is hockey so common sense gets thrown right out the window. Now to totally crew things up from the standings I also see that grey beat both black and white and almost beat Shattuck u-19 how come they didn't play up? They were obviously better than both Black and White. You know this how. Better Goaltending how no stats rumor was that Black had sub goalies for two of the three games against Shattuck. R-A/C goalie rumor has it she isn't the starter. WBL the Rumor is up at Mankato she won't play because of Levy before her and Skavanah after. So I doubt that your info is right.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:56 pm

woody wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:44 pm
Mnnstar wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:10 pm
Because the Elite League staff, Shattuck, and Minnesota Hockey all decide who they feel is the best team to compete for the state title. Shattuck doesn't go to nationals automatically, that is the point of that game. If they lose they need to have an at large bid based off their regular season performance. The decision to play Black was to make sure they had the most competitive game as possible for the state title. They felt Black played Shattuck better over the course of the Elite League season, and they felt Black had better goaltending to keep the game respectable. There is no written rule that the team in Elite League with the best record plays Shattuck. The final game has been hand picked the last 3 years they have done this format. Not sure why you haven't been complaining about this the last 3 years. Must have a daughter on the White team? Don't worry maybe next year your daughter will get a shot at the big state title. :roll:don't have a daughter playing anymore just a fan who watches from afar haven't seen an elite league game in two years.

woody

Post by woody » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:37 pm

Mnnstar wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:55 pm
highgloveside wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:00 pm
The fog is beginning to lift but what about the games Black won using grey players so what you are saying is Shattuck hand picks who they want to play to go to nationals, I know I am an idiot but I think that's what I just read. Oh the light bulb #-o :idea: just came on this is hockey so common sense gets thrown right out the window. Now to totally crew things up from the standings I also see that grey beat both black and white and almost beat Shattuck u-19 how come they didn't play up? They were obviously better than both Black and White. You know this how. Better Goaltending how no stats rumor was that Black had sub goalies for two of the three games against Shattuck. R-A/C goalie rumor has it she isn't the starter. WBL the Rumor is up at Mankato she won't play because of Levy before her and Skavanah after. So I doubt that your info is right.
Hey don't shoot the messenger. Just letting you know how it was picked and determined. Truth hurts sometimes I understand.
Last edited by woody on Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:36 pm

Grey and Sky are probably the only 2 legit teams in Elite league as they are 2002 (grey) and 2003 (sky) birth years. Grey was dominant against almost everyone despite not having many of the select 66 kids playing for them (nicholson, skelton, martin, wethington).

Royal appeared to be leftover 2002 & 2003's with other occasional other kids.

Red was a combo of Seniors & Juniors that were not good enough to be placed on Black or White originally. There were kids on Red that did not play a single game with them and played a bunch of games for Black & White. They had like 12 D on their roster and 12 F and nearly every game had a minimum of 8 D so at least 1/2/more played F for at least a period or two.

Black/White are semi interchangeable and I heard thru my kid that there were a few kids on the roster of Black/White that did not show up and more than 2 games other than the NIT. Too bad it is just not as important to those "elite" kids when there are bunches of kids that were on E-train and other teams that would have given up snapchat for at least 2 hours to be able to play on those teams.

The attendance piece of Elite league was the most frustrating for most kids I talk to. Too few or too many at different games and kids changing or not changing their attendance and then making the numbers wacky for the games.

Elite league is a gift and I am grateful for my kid to be able to play in it but it is what it is...

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:55 am

Well said massalsa. That's the point I was trying to make that Mnstar didn't understand. There is no point in complaining about who get's to play the last game of the year because it's impossible to define what team is truly best due to attendance issues. There is however a difference in attendance with age. The Freshman and Sophomore girls simply have less on their plate and can make it to more games which is how Grey is more consistent. It's hard to read MNstar posts, it's like they are typing while riding a roller coaster. I'm not a genius but you have to be somewhat grammatically correct to get your point across. I hope Mnstar is not a teacher because the kids would have no hope :shock:

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:19 pm

Why do we even call this Elite League anymore. Why don't we just call it what it is, the Fall OS League?

Mavskie

Post by Mavskie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:24 am

Because the Elite have WB on speed dial and use PayPal.