Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

massalsa
Posts: 461
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:37 pm

Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by massalsa » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:08 pm

Here you go...

Ms. Hockey (10 semi-finalists):

https://www.stateofhockey.com/news_article/show/990352

Senior Goalie of the Year (10 semi-finalists):

https://www.stateofhockey.com/news_article/show/990381

Let's talk about it...I will give you a couple of warm up questions if you like:

Dr. Pepper were neither a doctor, nor a pepper. Discuss.

Rhode Island is neither a road nor is it an island. Discuss.

MNHockeyFan
Posts: 6790
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:32 pm

massalsa wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:08 pm
Here you go...
Ms. Hockey (10 semi-finalists):
https://www.stateofhockey.com/news_article/show/990352
I vote for Mannon McMahon. Anyone who's good enough to have a school named after her should win it. :lol:

massalsa
Posts: 461
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:37 pm

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by massalsa » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:13 pm

Re: Senior Goalie

Strength of Schedule according to Mr KRACH for top 10 goalies:

47, 32, 22, 52, 35, 49, 11, 105, 58, 73

Biggest miss IMO...Mackenna Stoterau. 5-9-2 record for Centennial is (#29 according to KRACH)

Strength of Schedule for Centennial was KRACH #13

(she played in basically every game against difficult opponents)
- Lost to KRACH #7 Breck 3-4, .895 save percentage.
- Tied #41 Champlin Park 1-1, .960 save percentage.
- Lost to #12 Maple Grove 0-3, .900 save
- Lost to #5 Andover 2-6, .818 save
- Tied #18 Elk River 1-1, .979 save (only 48 sog)
- Beat #36 Blaine 2-1, .970 save (FIRST WIN!)
- Lost to #5 Andover 1-4, .882 save
- Lost to #3 Edina 0-2 (eng), .970 save (33 sog)
- Lost to #2 Blake 3-7, .825 (40 shots and 7 goals)
- Beat #43 SPU 4-2, .929
- Lost to #11 Hill-Murray 1-2, .931
- Lost to #18 Elk River 1-3, .889
- Beat #36 Blaine 3-1, .974 (gave up 1 goal on 38 shots)
- Beat #80 Totino-Grace 5-0, 1.000 save
- Beat #6 Wayzata 3-2, .951 (gave up 2 goals on 39 shots)

.890 save percentage in 6 games against KRACH top 7 teams with a hard working team around her and playing against teams with a minimum of 4-7 current D1 commits on them (most likely 9+ on each of those when all is said and done).

Nikki Harnett is another story for another time...it is what it is!

Lace'emUp
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:37 am

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by Lace'emUp » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:11 am

massalsa wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:13 pm
Re: Senior Goalie

Strength of Schedule according to Mr KRACH for top 10 goalies:

47, 32, 22, 52, 35, 49, 11, 105, 58, 73

Biggest miss IMO...Mackenna Stoterau. 5-9-2 record for Centennial is (#29 according to KRACH)

Strength of Schedule for Centennial was KRACH #13

(she played in basically every game against difficult opponents)
- Lost to KRACH #7 Breck 3-4, .895 save percentage.
- Tied #41 Champlin Park 1-1, .960 save percentage.
- Lost to #12 Maple Grove 0-3, .900 save
- Lost to #5 Andover 2-6, .818 save
- Tied #18 Elk River 1-1, .979 save (only 48 sog)
- Beat #36 Blaine 2-1, .970 save (FIRST WIN!)
- Lost to #5 Andover 1-4, .882 save
- Lost to #3 Edina 0-2 (eng), .970 save (33 sog)
- Lost to #2 Blake 3-7, .825 (40 shots and 7 goals)
- Beat #43 SPU 4-2, .929
- Lost to #11 Hill-Murray 1-2, .931
- Lost to #18 Elk River 1-3, .889
- Beat #36 Blaine 3-1, .974 (gave up 1 goal on 38 shots)
- Beat #80 Totino-Grace 5-0, 1.000 save
- Beat #6 Wayzata 3-2, .951 (gave up 2 goals on 39 shots)

.890 save percentage in 6 games against KRACH top 7 teams with a hard working team around her and playing against teams with a minimum of 4-7 current D1 commits on them (most likely 9+ on each of those when all is said and done).

Nikki Harnett is another story for another time...it is what it is!
100% agree. She should've at least made the list with your above data. Not bad considering she is playing with a whole new defensive core in front of her (4 seniors last year compared to underclassman + previous JV + youth level players this year). Doing a quick tally of her career:
19W - 15L - 3T, 1031 sog, 961 sv, 70 ga, 1925 mins, 1.85 gaa, 0.932 sv%
And in the playoffs last year she was:
4W - 1L, 125 sog, 121 sv, 4 ga, 253 mins, 0.81 gaa, 0.968 sv% (and named to the state tournament all-tournament team)

I'm going out on a limb and I'm going to say she will keep Centennial in the game tomorrow night against Blake. 1 goal game this time around (like she did 2 years ago against them). Plus, Blake will be coming in from playing Andover tonight. That has to help her odds a little bit.

bodyup88
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:58 am

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by bodyup88 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:34 pm

I agree with both of you, Stoterau is a very good goalie. I'm wondering how much the 21 goals allowed in the 4 games vs. Andover, Blake and Breck affected her, given that she only played in 16 games. Certainly a very challenging schedule for her and the Cougars. Also curious how much the award is senior year numbers vs. lifetime achievement. Not sure of the criteria there.

Here are 2 other senior goalie candidates IMO that might have been worth a look.

Riley Pester, Burnsville. 15-7, 1.29 GAA and .935 save % with 7 shutouts

Highlights: * In addition to the 7 shutouts, also had 7 games in which she only allowed 1 goal.
* 3 of her 7 losses came by scores of 1-0,1-0 and 2-1.
* Came out of the gate to start the season extremely fast, allowing only 3g in first 8 games.
* Posted shutout wins over both Champlin/CR and Bloomington Jefferson and their Sr. Goalie candidates
* While team's SOS was not extraordinarily high at 39, it was higher than 6 of the teams with Sr Goalie candidates
* In games vs. top two teams in the South Suburban Conference, posted 0-1 loss and 4-1 win over Eagan and 0-1 and 1-2 losses vs
Shakopee
* Allowed only 29 g in 22 games for state's third best GAA.
* Save % of .935 was seventh best among senior goalies

Cassidy Stumo, Andover. 17-2, 1.37 GAA and .925 save % with 5 shutouts.

Highlights: * Beat Edina to start the season 4-3 on 34 saves on 37 shots
* Swept Maple Grove, allowing only 1 g in the two games
* Unbeaten in 2019, allowing only 6 goals in 8 games, including all 5 shutouts
* Only losses this season came: 1-0 at Forest Lake on a power play goal. Finished with game 25 saves on 26 shots (.961) and staved off 6
Ranger power plays Second loss was 4-3 to Blake in the finals of the Schwan's Cup at Ridder. Finished with 31 saves in a game in
which Blake outshot Andover 35-19.
* Andover's SOS KRACH rating is 8 so Huskies playing a challenging schedule.
* Posted a 3-0 shutout win over Forest Lake in last year's 7AA final. Allowed one goal (Hengler) on 30 shots in quarterfinal
2-0 (empty net) loss to Eden Prairie in first round of last year's state tourney.

tarasov
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:28 am

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by tarasov » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:01 am

I think the Ms Hockey winner has already been determined...Frosty could probably let the cat out of the bag!

On the other hand, the Ms Goalie winner is definitely up for grabs! Bville goalie plays for the team with lowest GA in MSHSL. Definitely should of been considered...my vote would be for the WBL tender!

bodyup88
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:58 am

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by bodyup88 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:11 pm

Is Quinn Kuntz going to win the Sr. Goalie of the Year or has she not satisfied the "residence requirement" yet? Unbelievable numbers but not playing a real challenging schedule. (SOS is 57 of the 117 total girls hockey programs, 8th among the 10 Sr Goalie semi-finalists) Still, with last night's 1-1 tie at the Ram Center, where she stopped 40 Roseau shots, she now has allowed only 15 g in 25 games. Save % of .965 on 420 shots with 14 shutouts. The fact that the Warriors only played 14 games vs AA teams will probably hurt her although they did come down to Golden Valley and shut out Breck 3-0 on 30 shots last fall in one of their 11 Class A wins. In her three toughest games she stopped 80 of 85 shots against Brainerd and the two Roseau games for a 94% save percentage in 3-2 and 4-2 wins and the 1-1 tie last night.

massalsa
Posts: 461
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:37 pm

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by massalsa » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:22 pm

Tarasov, thanks for contributing to the discussion. I agree with you that Ms.Hockey is determined. However...

I have seen every one of the players on the list play at least 3x in the last 6 months. This being a combination of elite league, NAHA, MNHS, & HP related stuff. There is no doubt in my mind who is the most dynamic & game changing player on the list. EVERY player on the list is a great player and has made an impact in virtually every game they have played but Wethington is on another level.

1. On a National level she has 3 Gold medals from U18 World championships. I do not think that another of the current candidates made the team in their career other than Uihlein this winter. This should NOT be the only consideration but put in the "body of work" section of her resume of sorts. She was the only HS player in the country (including Shattuck) that was invited to the USA Hockey Women's Winter Training Camp.

2. Her statistics as a D are significant this season. 20 goals & 29 assists for 49 points in 25 games. 11 points in 6 games vs top 5 teams in the state (Edina x2, Andover x2, Wayzata, and Forest Lake). Points over her 6 year HS career are significant. 54 goals & 92 assists for 146 points in 154 career HS games. She has played for one of the best teams in the state for all 6 years of her HS career but she averages almost a point a game for 6 years.

3. She is going to a school in the WCHA and that school is the U of MN. It probably would not matter in her case but it certainly may have helped past winners. Chute and Thurnstrom are the last 2 non WCHA kids to win. Side note: is it the first time ever with 10 kids committed to 10 different schools?

Here is my guess (not necessarily my picks) for the final 5 (picking 6):

Wethington (winner), Kelsey King, Mannon McMahon, Kaitlyn Kotlowski, Izzy Daniel.

What do others think the final 5 will look like?

massalsa
Posts: 461
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:37 pm

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by massalsa » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:51 pm

bodyup88 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:11 pm
Is Quinn Kuntz going to win the Sr. Goalie of the Year or has she not satisfied the "residence requirement" yet? Unbelievable numbers but not playing a real challenging schedule. (SOS is 57 of the 117 total girls hockey programs, 8th among the 10 Sr Goalie semi-finalists) Still, with last night's 1-1 tie at the Ram Center, where she stopped 40 Roseau shots, she now has allowed only 15 g in 25 games. Save % of .965 on 420 shots with 14 shutouts. The fact that the Warriors only played 14 games vs AA teams will probably hurt her although they did come down to Golden Valley and shut out Breck 3-0 on 30 shots last fall in one of their 11 Class A wins. In her three toughest games she stopped 80 of 85 shots against Brainerd and the two Roseau games for a 94% save percentage in 3-2 and 4-2 wins and the 1-1 tie last night.
She made some great saves last night...at least from my vantage point on the couch (thanks to YHH for the live feed). Looked like a great game. How did Kiana Flag not make it to the top 10?!? She made some great saves too. Who knows...put her on the most likely snubbed list with Stoterau, Pester, & Stumo. All feel like they could/should have made it. Maybe those that made it had more of this - "In addition to on-ice talent, criteria for the Let’s Play Hockey Senior Goalie of the Year Award include academics, community/extracurricular activities, citizenship and coachability." than the ones mentioned by posters here?

LEGI0 M0RTIS
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:58 pm

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by LEGI0 M0RTIS » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:38 pm

Hey guys, it looks like the group of goalies are all good kids. As far as Stoterau she does fill the rest of the requirements, 4.106 GPA with honors level classes. She will have around 20 college credits when she graduates high school. National merit letter of commendation recipient. Peer leader, honor society, feed my starving children, very coachable as she was the bottom JV goalie her sophmore year and finished the starting varsity goalie that same year.

The best she has is she spends around 2-3 hours every Sunday from October till April helping mentally and physically handicapped children play hockey at Coon Rapids Ice rink for the Minnesota Wild Sled Hockey program. #Hockeychangeslives! :D She really brings joy to the kids she interacts with there. Alot of time is put into the group especially when you consider the class load she has having to stay up commonly past midnight to study. It stinks she did not make the group.

Still, it is good to see so many of these girls growing up so well rounded. I am sure their parents and their communties are proud of them and look forward to seeing what they can do for those communities in the future.

Nice to see support for the mystery goalie though, You guys are awesome.

Lace'emUp
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:37 am

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by Lace'emUp » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:56 pm

LEGI0 M0RTIS wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:38 pm
Hey guys, it looks like the group of goalies are all good kids. As far as Stoterau she does fill the rest of the requirements, 4.106 GPA with honors level classes. She will have around 20 college credits when she graduates high school. National merit letter of commendation recipient. Peer leader, honor society, feed my starving children, very coachable as she was the bottom JV goalie her sophmore year and finished the starting varsity goalie that same year.

The best she has is she spends around 2-3 hours every Sunday from October till April helping mentally and physically handicapped children play hockey at Coon Rapids Ice rink for the Minnesota Wild Sled Hockey program. #Hockeychangeslives! :D She really brings joy to the kids she interacts with there. Alot of time is put into the group especially when you consider the class load she has having to stay up commonly past midnight to study. It stinks she did not make the group.

Still, it is good to see so many of these girls growing up so well rounded. I am sure their parents and their communties are proud of them and look forward to seeing what they can do for those communities in the future.

Nice to see support for the mystery goalie though, You guys are awesome.
Welcome to the forum! I hope the LPH people are reading this and see how big of a miss they made with not having Ms. Stoterau on their list. But like you said, I'm sure all the goalies are great kids and have similar positive attributes. The great thing is college admittance offices see all the above extra circular info on her applications. From that, I hope she's accepted into her #1 ranked college, and hopefully that will involve hockey too! Good luck to her and all the seniors on their next journey.

Mnnstar
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:11 am

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by Mnnstar » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:14 am

Going to go out on Limb
1. Frank
2. The two North Dakota recruits 2 and 3.

Puckwatch
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by Puckwatch » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:26 pm

Hi second Frank she’s a great goalie and has a bright future !

alcloseshaver
Posts: 1462
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 am
Location: Met Center Press Box

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by alcloseshaver » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:15 pm

Give it to the Elk River goalie just for the 85 saves v Andover.

highgloveside
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:34 pm

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by highgloveside » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:33 pm

Should be Frank! Has to be Frank :D To see that many shots in a season and still be on two legs is remarkable. Which begs the question how is it possible that a team from the metro gives up that many shots?

WBLPuck99
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:46 am

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by WBLPuck99 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:59 am

I have to favor Frank as well (a little bias in there).

But honestly, 2.17 GAA when taking an average of 36 shots a game? Against some very talented teams this year as well.

Anyone who watches the way she moves and tracks pucks, especially the way she steers pucks to corners and low traffic areas can see she is an extremely special player.

The game last night v. Stillwater I was lucky enough to catch (where she posted a shutout to the tune of 37 saves) watched her make some incredible saves, especially with Stillwater really pressing and having several Grade A opportunities in the slot.

I've seen about 50% of the WBL games and I can't even count the number of times I have heard amazed parents or fans of opponents marvel at how, as I like to say, smooth she is. Even if she doesn't win, she's been a joy to watch the last 4 years.

bodyup88
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:58 am

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by bodyup88 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:07 am

Calla Frank had another outstanding game last night, as WBL shut out Stillwater 3-0. Goaltending was the difference in this game as Frank stopped all 37 shots she faced, including 18 in the third period, when the Ponies outshot the Bears 18-4.

Mnnstar
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:11 am

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by Mnnstar » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:17 am

Frank gives WBL a chance to win every night. Legit chance to beat HM in a really weak section.

nu2hockey
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by nu2hockey » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:40 pm

Calla is a good goalie...should win ms goalie....but, I wouldn't be surprised if this game goes to running time
..

massalsa
Posts: 461
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:37 pm

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by massalsa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:03 pm

In the semi's and finals for sections the majority of goalies are talented and so are most of the teams. Most very good goalies can make many if not all of the saves they can see in front of them. The difference in many of these games are going to be rebound control, keeping goalies vision clear and then them making one or two really big saves to keep games close.

Looking at Fridays scheduled games (including the tbd from section 6AA) along with Andover/Forest Lake Thursday there will potentially 6 pretty competitive games with tenders on underdog teams that COULD steal a game with some timely scoring from their offenses.

Frank (MN State) for WBL vs Hill
LaRose (U of Maine) for NWC vs the nerd
Dulac (Cornell) for Tonka vs EP
Stoterau (see resume in some of her past big games) for Centennial vs Maple Grove

Who is the underdog in the Andover vs Forest Lake game?!? Both tenders are rock solid...

Should be a fun next 11 days!!!

Puckwatch
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by Puckwatch » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:02 pm

Yes, that Forest Lake goalie is outstanding. I’ve seen her play a couple of times this year. I think she’s a junior should be a up for ms goalie next year.

Slap Shot
Posts: 690
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:40 am

Stoterau was 71st for GAA and 29th for SV% results against top opponents notwithstanding.

WBLPuck99
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:46 am

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by WBLPuck99 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:53 am

massalsa wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:03 pm
In the semi's and finals for sections the majority of goalies are talented and so are most of the teams. Most very good goalies can make many if not all of the saves they can see in front of them. The difference in many of these games are going to be rebound control, keeping goalies vision clear and then them making one or two really big saves to keep games close.

Looking at Fridays scheduled games (including the tbd from section 6AA) along with Andover/Forest Lake Thursday there will potentially 6 pretty competitive games with tenders on underdog teams that COULD steal a game with some timely scoring from their offenses.

Frank (MN State) for WBL vs Hill
LaRose (U of Maine) for NWC vs the nerd
Dulac (Cornell) for Tonka vs EP
Stoterau (see resume in some of her past big games) for Centennial vs Maple Grove

Who is the underdog in the Andover vs Forest Lake game?!? Both tenders are rock solid...

Should be a fun next 11 days!!!
There is going to be a certain amount of saves that no goalie is going to make, regardless of how incredible they are. In those cases it comes down to the underdog teams really finding a way to limit chances that create that problem.

The WBL/Hill game specifically will be interesting because it's not that WBL lacks girls that can score (shearan, reif, maclean, delarossa) it's that they struggle to get the pucks on those sticks in scoring position. When they do, they will need to make every opportunity count.

The last game was 3-2 in favor of Hill Murray, and the shots were 43-15. Both teams appear to be very different from when that game was played, but can WBL bridge the gap and can Calla hold out?

WBL has played arguably their two best games this season going into the final.

bodyup88
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:58 am

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by bodyup88 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:07 am

Well, except for maybe the Breck and East Ridge wins. Interestingly, the Bears beat the Raptors when Shearen was still in Japan.

Goaltending clearly favors WBL tomorrow. Can they limit the high danger scoring chances of Hill, especially of Kate Kaufman, Blinkhorn and Steigauf? Playing Shearen at D will help in that regard but how many minutes can she play and still stay effective?

Lace'emUp
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:37 am

Re: Lets Play Hockey - Ms. Hockey + Senior Goalie of the Year. Discuss.

Post by Lace'emUp » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:17 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:40 am
Stoterau was 71st for GAA and 29th for SV% results against top opponents notwithstanding.
Can you provide the whole list of your rankings so we can all take a look? Please provide the threshold for consideration of being a top opponent (was it top 10 coaches ranking at the time they played, current rankings, top 20 KRACH, etc).

Post Reply