Section Seeding

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Section Seeding

Post by MNHockeyFan »

All the sections have been seeded except for 8AA, which is scheduled for tomorrow, February 6th. Any surprises?

https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/bracke ... son=587205
Lace'emUp

Re: Section Seeding

Post by Lace'emUp »

MNHockeyFan wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:08 pm All the sections have been seeded except for 8AA, which is scheduled for tomorrow, February 6th. Any surprises?

https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/bracke ... son=587205
I don't see any huge surprises. I took a look at the seeds and compared them with KRACH, QRF, SOS, and head-to-head where needed. Here's what I saw:

1AA: Farmington gets the nod over LN due to their two wins over LN. Farm had a slightly tougher SOS. LN could’ve posed an argument with their road wins over Tonka, Burnsville, and Eagan. Farmington played both Burnsville and Eagan twice, losing 3 of 4. Unless something crazy happens, both should see each other in the section final anyways.

2AA: C/C seeded over Shakopee was a slight “upset” since Shakopee beat them twice during the season (one was a SO in the holiday tournament). Shakopee also had wins over Eagan in that tournament, and over Farmington at the end of the season.

5AA: Centennial’s SOS and quality win over Wayzata probably pushed them past CP/CR for the 2-seed. If you look at both CP/CR and Rogers, both have similar records, KRACH, QRF, and SOS. But CP/CR’s 2-0 win over Rogers earlier in the year probably gives them the 3-seed. If Rogers wins that game, they get the 3-seed and push CP/CR to the 6-seed. One game made that big of a difference in seeded. One could say “why is Rogers seeded lower than Blaine”. Good question. The only answer is SOS (Blaine = 9th, Rogers = 50th).

7AA: I think many would say that Andover should be the #1 seed. But they couldn’t get the job done against FL back on Dec 13. FL’s SOS is not super strong, but they do have wins over Tonka, Andover, ER, and GR. IMO, Andover should’ve received the 1-seed due to wins over Breck, MG (2), ER (2), Cent (2), and GR. But more so, because of their win over Edina and two very close losses to Blake. Two teams that destroyed FL.

8AA: Roseau might try to stake a claim to the #1 seed with a late season tie against Warroad. But their two head-to-head losses to Brainerd will keep from getting the 1-seed. That will go to Brainerd – unless they lose tonight to Willmar tonight. As this goes to print, the Hub is saying the game is tied 2-2 at the end of 2. Losing 3 of 4 going into sections cannot be a good thing, and could keep them from getting the 1-seed.

3AA, 4AA, 6AA: Everyone seeded accordingly.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Great analysis, Lace'emUp. I was shocked to see Flake getting the nod over Andover also, but it probably won't matter 'cause in all likelihood they'll meet one another in the final. I was wondering too if the seeding was done before Flake lost so badly to Blake yesterday?
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

MNHockeyFan wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:06 pm Great analysis, Lace'emUp. I was shocked to see Flake getting the nod over Andover also, but it probably won't matter 'cause in all likelihood they'll meet one another in the final. I was wondering too if the seeding was done before Flake lost so badly to Blake yesterday?
Yes, I wondered that too (about when they seeded). But as you mentioned, it probably won't matter since the odds favor a rematch in the section final. However, the section final is a neutral ice game. Anything can happen, but no home ice advantage for FLake this time around.

Talking about neutral ice, I think the possible semi-final match-ups in 7AA could be more interesting if played on neutral ice too. But from the looks of it, we'll have ER playing at Andover, and GR or CIMPC at FLake. I get it, its a travel thing for the outstate sections and you never know how long the drive will be. Metro area section 4AA, 5AA, and 6AA are all neutral ice. Well, I guess not section 4AA - makes no sense to play at HM's home rink every year. It doesn't really matter this year as HM should breeze through. But maybe rotate the location every year?
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

The 7AA seeds look a little more legit after last weekend's quarter and semi-finals games. Should be a great game at Fogerty on Thursday.
Can Forest Lake repeat the December result? Imagine it will be another physical, entertaining game to watch. 22 penalty minutes in the first match-up this season.