Elite league

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Iceburg

Re: Elite league

Post by Iceburg » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:38 pm

Looks like the local teams may have pulled out of the NAHA tournament.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:33 am

My source tells me they “didn’t follow the rules” and were disqualified. If true, what a bummer to find out after traveling.

moosepaw

Elite league

Post by moosepaw » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 am

Rosters have been released this weekend.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:46 am

moosepaw wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 am
Where are they posted?

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:07 am

It looks like the boys have limited attendance and the option to purchase a live feed. Does anyone know if there are attendance limitations other than what the individual rinks allow and if there will be a streaming option for the girls?

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:20 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:46 am
moosepaw wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 am
Where are they posted?
Not public yet but the girls now know what team they are on.

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:23 pm

goaliedad31 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:07 am
It looks like the boys have limited attendance and the option to purchase a live feed. Does anyone know if there are attendance limitations other than what the individual rinks allow and if there will be a streaming option for the girls?
No information sent yet. Games appear to be at Fogerty, Shattuck, St. Croix Rec, Super Rink, Eagan as of now so I'm sure it will be whatever those rinks allow.

Iceburg

Post by Iceburg » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:43 pm

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:36 am

looks like elite league will be extended with girls HS being postponed until Nov 30

slowD

Post by slowD » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:41 am

Any word if the elite league will be extended or will players change over to the XPL to bridge the gap?

Iceburg

Post by Iceburg » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:53 pm

NIT tournament starts tomorrow morning (Friday). Several games will be streamed.

http://www.hselitehockey.com/nit-live-stream

Thoen88

Post by Thoen88 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:52 am

To the surprise of probably very few, the out of state teams are really really struggling against the locals. Philly has managed a 2-2 tie against Tradition White (U19). The three games at the U16 level for MSP teams have gone 7-1, 8-1, and 12-1.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:35 pm

Thoen88 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:52 am
To the surprise of probably very few, the out of state teams are really really struggling against the locals. Philly has managed a 2-2 tie against Tradition White (U19). The three games at the U16 level for MSP teams have gone 7-1, 8-1, and 12-1.
Thanks for the update 88.

Anyone seeing any MN girls or girls from elsewhere dominating the competition?

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:36 pm

Anyone see that Guilday was invited to the USA Womens National Team Evaluation Camp (obv along with many other awesome MNHS alumni)? What an honor...also nice to see some different local kids on the roster than in past years...

https://teamusa.usahockey.com/2020wntev ... camproster

Iceburg

Post by Iceburg » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:49 pm

massalsa wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:35 pm
Anyone seeing any MN girls or girls from elsewhere dominating the competition?
Watched a fair number of games. Three that stood out for me were Joy Dunne (St. Louis U19), Grace Dwyer (Philadelphia U19) and Sydney Morrow (Shattuck Prep).

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:38 pm

How did the MN teams do vs whomever came to town in this years NIT tourney?

I know one of my kid's coaches missed 1 of 2 games this weekend because she was recruiting the tourney...

Iceburg

Post by Iceburg » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:17 pm

massalsa wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:38 pm

I know one of my kid's coaches missed 1 of 2 games this weekend because she was recruiting the tourney...
https://www.hselitehockey.com/scores-standings-stats

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:24 pm

Iceburg wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:17 pm
massalsa wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:38 pm

https://www.hselitehockey.com/scores-standings-stats
I have seen this and continue to be disappointed YEARS later on the completely lame job whomever runs girls elite league to not post stats (like they do on the boys side). Even if one chooses to post those stats for the NIT and not elite league if it is going to be a few teams beating up on the weaker teams.

Was really hoping to hear some thoughts from y'all that have kids that played the NIT and how our teams LOOKED vs the better teams that came to town to play against the best players (generally) in MN. No problem if no thoughts or observations.

j4241

Post by j4241 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:17 pm

I’m probably not the best person to answer - I wasn’t able to watch as much as I wanted to, but here are a few thoughts/observations. If you are really motivated I think all of the games are available on demand on LiveBarn.

I beleive Minnesota teams won three of the four divisions - Tradition Black was tied for second in the upper 19s, Tradition Vegas rolled through the lower 19s (with one caveat), MSP Grey rolled through the upper 16s and MSP Red won the lower 16s. All our top teams (with talent somewhat spread out) were very strong against the best in the country.

MSP Grey is an interesting experiment for Winny - a legitimate collection of more or less the best U16 eligible players (maybe a couple passengers). She didn’t do that last year with Vegas - that was a ’22 group only (other than goalies) and not really the single best U16 group - but Grey this year includes 6 of the top ‘24s to complement the 12 core '05 '23s. I would expect them to win the national championship relatively easily. Their only competition would be the best 05s and 06s from SSM, but that group doesn’t play together since several of those are on the prep team (with the rest on SSM 16).

Usually she spreads the best out a bit. Tradition White (set up with roughly equal billing to Black with half the best seniors) has not been as strong as Black this fall at the 19 level, and lost to NAHA. Tradition Black didn't play the NAHA team that won that level, but lost to Mission (who lost to NAHA). NAHA also won the NAHA labor day tourney (I think) - good team, even with only one really standout offensive player - Tessa Janecke ('22 Penn State commit) - but they have been very hard to score against - gave up only 3 goals on the weekend, and I think only 3 goals at the NAHA labor day tourney, too. Black is a good team, and Roberts has stood out to me as consistently the best forward.

A slightly short-handed Vegas team was untested in four games against middling 19 teams, and had a 6-2 exhibition loss against Philly. That Philly team is good, but lost to Tradition Black and Mission - not standout good, in spite of having recruited a few players from last year’s u16 Penguins and Caesars teams, including commits to Wisconsin, Princeton and Penn State. Philly's win against Vegas was an ugly, dirty game. Gia Mancy (another Penn State commit) had one of the dirtiest plays I've ever seen in a girls game - direct shoulder to the jaw of a player in an open ice hit with no attempt to play the puck - a clear intent to injure clearly visible at the time (and on video - 5+ game suspension if done in the NHL - and was assessed a 2 minute minor in the game). I understand there is supposed to be follow-up about it by USA Hockey - we will see. Just astonishing to see that, and only rivaled in its ugliness by the roars of approval from the inebriated (for a Saturday morning game) Philly parents. Charming group.

On the stats, the challenge is getting them right, and also how useless they can be when half the games are 10-0 wins against terrible teams. The top teams with the top kids are good consistently, but there were girls on Black, White and Vegas (and Grey) who scored against weak teams but were invisible in games against good teams (or, worse, visible in all the wrong ways). What do scoring totals tell you with scoring patterns like that? The boys deal with lopsided games, too, but I think it's a different level. The boys also have funding and staffing that allows them to get goals and assists right. The girls games have refs that turn in score sheets made up of the right goal scorer 50% of the time, and assists assigned to whichever kid has a dad that’s told them to chase down the ref and tell them they got the assist - and those are the points. High school points work because the coaches generally care about getting it right, and use video to confirm and correct. The girls elite league isn’t there. But I hate the optics - makes it seem like they are second class citizens compared to the boys.

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:34 pm

Well, that's how Winny runs it. It should be separated out and not called Elite League.

PhunnsieMcHockeyDad

Post by PhunnsieMcHockeyDad » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:57 pm

Stats - I know they kept stats all season using the new ipad driven process (I don't know what it's called, but it was also used for the Girls' Tier 1 league). My daughter was on one of the MSP teams and they had the ipad in the scorer's box for every game during the season and I saw it in use for the NIT too. The stats are there - they're just not being shared with the public.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:13 pm

Thank you j4241! Great info. I appreciate your thoughts, the details on the teams and players for other teams that played the Minnesota kids. I am guessing/hoping that Winny has some rhyme/reason to how and why she does what she does but I often wondered if that was the case when my kid was younger. Charge more and pay for more official scorers...at least for the NIT. I guess that the NIT is more of a showcase than an actual tourney but if it was run like NAHA with brackets and playoffs it might be even more successful.

One of many interesting things that I have found in developing relationships with parents of my kids college teammates is how different the hockey experience was for those NOT in MN. Some of the kids from Canada only practiced on weekends as they had 4 hour drives to and from practice and would have 4 practices per weekend while others had huge programs in their city in Quebec. Some girls played for NAHA and de-enrolled from their HS in October each year and re-enrolled back in March/April while others went to prep school and others had different experiences. The MN system with all of its flaws still is absolutely in my mind the best thing going with HS and community based hockey and also with the great and not so great parts of OS and other organizations. We are blessed and also have a ton more $$$ that we are NOT being required to pay for our girls to play an incredible game with girls from all over the metro/state/country.

diablo26

Elite league- Great Season

Post by diablo26 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:12 am

MN 19u Black had a great season. Good luck to all the girls in HS and beyond- so many talented players. Congrats too to Shattuck on their 4-1 win in the championship game.

Iceburg

Re: Elite league- Great Season

Post by Iceburg » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:14 am

diablo26 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:12 am
Congrats too to Shattuck on their 4-1 win in the championship game.
Damn, forgot all about the district playoff games last night ](*,)

Iceburg

Post by Iceburg » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:06 am

MSP Grey over Shattuck in the 16u game 2-1