Recruiting experience after rule change

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

j4241

Recruiting experience after rule change

Post by j4241 »

Current announced division 1 college verbal commitments from Minnesota high schools by class (I think, on all of these. Taken from collegecommitments.com, which I know is pretty good, but no doubt misses some, and has some errors. I added two that I'm aware of that are not on this list, one each from '22 and '23):

2020 - 39
2021 - 31
2022 - 17
2023 - 3

(Beau, is this something you can query on EliteProspects.com?)

From this it looks like there might be a handful+ spots left in the '21 class, and that the '22s are maybe a bit less than halfway done. I'm curious to discuss how the recruiting experience will change for the remainder of the '22 class, and especially with the '23 class (and beyond).

If a typical recruiting class is 6 or 7 kids (implying a roster of 24 to 28 prior to attrition), only one school has a majority of their '23 class filled, and only 5 have more than 1. Focused on the '23 class, commits so far are:

Wisconsin - 4 (0 from MN)
Colgate - 3 (0)
Cornell - 3 (0)
Minnesota - 2 (2)
BC - 2 (0)
and 1 each from Vermont, Merrimack, Penn State, and Princeton (1 from MN)

The '21 class has 31 commits from Minnesota. Those 31 happened over roughtly 2+ years. If the '23 class gets to 31 by the start of junior year, that means the sales process for schools to those hypothetical 28 kids will be 2 1/2 months, and schools will go from 3 total committed to 31 in one month. If you're a coach, I would be worried about having my time frame to make my pitch to my picks so compressed, and about missing out. How will this change the experience for kids? Higher pressure sales tactics by coaches? More time pressure on responding to interest? Thoughts?
BeauKnowsHockey

Re: Recruiting experience after rule change

Post by BeauKnowsHockey »

j4241 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:56 am2020 - 39
2021 - 31
2022 - 17
2023 - 3

(Beau, is this something you can query on EliteProspects.com?)
We *should* have all college commitments listed on each individual profile. As well as on each NCAA (W) team’s page. But to my knowledge it is not easily queried. You would probably have to visit each team’s page individually and tally everyone up.

I could look in to adding something like this as a feature.
Minnesota based volunteer for EliteProspects.com
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Having college commitments available in one spot is very valuable information for families that are going through the recruiting process. If you could add and assemble that, and make it searchable and sortable (by college, year, perhaps position) would be very cool.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

I think that a combo of 4 websites can get you the best feel for what is spoken for spot wise. It is a really tough to figure any of this stuff out unless you are the most elite of elite players (or parents). So much unknown in the process and constantly wondering if your kid should be reaching out or Winny or your HS coach or kid you know who is playing there or already committed to play at that school. Its generally a yucky, stressful process for any kid (and parents for sure!) that is not a USA development camper (select 66 or 3 timer...15/16/17).

https://www.collegecommitments.com/Comm ... cq9=FEMALE
https://login.sportngin.com/check_login ... recruiting
https://www.eliteprospects.com/
https://www.neutralzone.net/womens/ (subscription...not worth it for me as it is totally out of touch imo...I have done 1/month 2x over the years)

Good luck!!!

Here is a little of our experience and thoughts in a random stream of consciousness approach:

My kid first got looks/calls in the fall of 9th grade. We were sort of shell shocked and did not know what to do so we put things off until the next summer to make some visits (so she could concentrate on 9th grade and hockey in season than trying to figure out if an IVY is better for her than a WCHA or Hockey East from a culture/academic standpoint or whatever might be best for her at 15...lol) We had friends from the neighborhood who were already playing for a powerhouse (a perennial top 4 team) so were able to get some help with occasional questions from them. But then you have other friends kids who are being recruited by the same schools either at your school or off your summer team or whatever. Making up numbers but Winny is trying to juggle the 100+ girls per class from 9th grade and then 80 in 10th grade and then funneling down to the kids that are still left in 11th and 12th grade trying to fulfill their dream of playing college hockey and going to their dream school. Winny is dealing with at least 200+ kids at different ages and coaches from probably 40+ schools (D1 & top end D3) every single year trying to play matchmaker. Unless you are in the top 40 of those kids each year it is tough. Some HS coaches are better/worse than others on the recruiting side. I have heard all kinds of crazy stories from parents/coaches/kids about HS coaches doing a horrible job of communicating with all parties involved. From not telling a kid that a coach from their dream school called about them until AFTER they commit somewhere else to flat out telling coaches that a kid is not as good as the college coach might think they are. Kids play with different skill level kids in the school year/fall/spring/prospects/camps/etc and can look like completely different players in all those places.

Our process was one that was longer than most super elite kids with several ups and downs. I think that it puts a lot of undue pressure on these girls while parents try to be encouraging, realistic, and patient for all of the moving parts hockey wise. We had some help at times from HS coaches, Winny, friends, and even players who are done with college. We made some requested visits, some "we are in the area" visits (NAHA, family trips, funerals in the area, summer camps, etc), and some trips that were something else. All helped with the final decision of narrowing down what my kid wanted academically, athletically, size wise, coaching styles, etc. The time spent on great visits and not so great visits to campuses with or without coaches was all helpful in the final process and decision to this point. Kid sent out bunches of emails before and after Prospects, HP stuff (from 15s to 17s and districts to 54's and National camp), HS season, Christmas tournaments, and also video. Who knows what might be the magic touch for your kid!

Regarding the Gophers - The leftover kids that are perennial 3rd liners or worse for the hometown squad would be elite at 80% of the other D1 schools but nearly every girl dreams of playing for Frosty & Joel. Parents want that too. Great guys (especially Joel...mad props for him in the way he gives of time and interest at prospects and other places) and a great rink with great fans and they win. A way ABOVE average school where you can see 1/2 your kids games?!? Sign me up! Look at the recruits they get year in and year out. Wow. Where are they all going to play??? Not enough spots on the ice or roster for all of them to get significant time on the ice all 4 years. They are stacked now and every year going forward with elite girls.

The new frontier of recruiting might be different and I hope that it is better for all with slightly later recruiting and pressure and other potential collateral damage. I am guessing that there will be offers that cant be announced until a certain time and still be a fair amount of end run type stuff. I think waiting until after a kids freshman year of HS (like June 15) would be great for contact and visits to campuses. Waiting until September 1st or whenever of a Jr year is too long and finances and school and fall sports can get in the way of a family making a visit if you wait much longer.

I cant recall all of the new rules but hope that if at least 1 family or kid gets something from this it will be worth while.
skatez

Post by skatez »

If your daughter received calls in 9th grade the school calling her violated NCAA rules.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

skatez wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:32 pm If your daughter received calls in 9th grade the school calling her violated NCAA rules.
Of course. We did not receive any calls from coaches in 9th or 10th grade. All calls were made by my kid after requests were made for her to call.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Thank you for sharing your experience! What mistakes did you make? What do you wish you’d done differently?
Unpaidscout

Post by Unpaidscout »

massalsa wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:40 pm I think that a combo of 4 websites can get you the best feel for what is spoken for spot wise. It is a really tough to figure any of this stuff out unless you are the most elite of elite players (or parents). So much unknown in the process and constantly wondering if your kid should be reaching out or Winny or your HS coach or kid you know who is playing there or already committed to play at that school. Its generally a yucky, stressful process for any kid (and parents for sure!) that is not a USA development camper (select 66 or 3 timer...15/16/17).

https://www.collegecommitments.com/Comm ... cq9=FEMALE
https://login.sportngin.com/check_login ... recruiting
https://www.eliteprospects.com/
https://www.neutralzone.net/womens/ (subscription...not worth it for me as it is totally out of touch imo...I have done 1/month 2x over the years)

Good luck!!!

Here is a little of our experience and thoughts in a random stream of consciousness approach:

My kid first got looks/calls in the fall of 9th grade. We were sort of shell shocked and did not know what to do so we put things off until the next summer to make some visits (so she could concentrate on 9th grade and hockey in season than trying to figure out if an IVY is better for her than a WCHA or Hockey East from a culture/academic standpoint or whatever might be best for her at 15...lol) We had friends from the neighborhood who were already playing for a powerhouse (a perennial top 4 team) so were able to get some help with occasional questions from them. But then you have other friends kids who are being recruited by the same schools either at your school or off your summer team or whatever. Making up numbers but Winny is trying to juggle the 100+ girls per class from 9th grade and then 80 in 10th grade and then funneling down to the kids that are still left in 11th and 12th grade trying to fulfill their dream of playing college hockey and going to their dream school. Winny is dealing with at least 200+ kids at different ages and coaches from probably 40+ schools (D1 & top end D3) every single year trying to play matchmaker. Unless you are in the top 40 of those kids each year it is tough. Some HS coaches are better/worse than others on the recruiting side. I have heard all kinds of crazy stories from parents/coaches/kids about HS coaches doing a horrible job of communicating with all parties involved. From not telling a kid that a coach from their dream school called about them until AFTER they commit somewhere else to flat out telling coaches that a kid is not as good as the college coach might think they are. Kids play with different skill level kids in the school year/fall/spring/prospects/camps/etc and can look like completely different players in all those places.

Our process was one that was longer than most super elite kids with several ups and downs. I think that it puts a lot of undue pressure on these girls while parents try to be encouraging, realistic, and patient for all of the moving parts hockey wise. We had some help at times from HS coaches, Winny, friends, and even players who are done with college. We made some requested visits, some "we are in the area" visits (NAHA, family trips, funerals in the area, summer camps, etc), and some trips that were something else. All helped with the final decision of narrowing down what my kid wanted academically, athletically, size wise, coaching styles, etc. The time spent on great visits and not so great visits to campuses with or without coaches was all helpful in the final process and decision to this point. Kid sent out bunches of emails before and after Prospects, HP stuff (from 15s to 17s and districts to 54's and National camp), HS season, Christmas tournaments, and also video. Who knows what might be the magic touch for your kid!

Regarding the Gophers - The leftover kids that are perennial 3rd liners or worse for the hometown squad would be elite at 80% of the other D1 schools but nearly every girl dreams of playing for Frosty & Joel. Parents want that too. Great guys (especially Joel...mad props for him in the way he gives of time and interest at prospects and other places) and a great rink with great fans and they win. A way ABOVE average school where you can see 1/2 your kids games?!? Sign me up! Look at the recruits they get year in and year out. Wow. Where are they all going to play??? Not enough spots on the ice or roster for all of them to get significant time on the ice all 4 years. They are stacked now and every year going forward with elite girls.

The new frontier of recruiting might be different and I hope that it is better for all with slightly later recruiting and pressure and other potential collateral damage. I am guessing that there will be offers that cant be announced until a certain time and still be a fair amount of end run type stuff. I think waiting until after a kids freshman year of HS (like June 15) would be great for contact and visits to campuses. Waiting until September 1st or whenever of a Jr year is too long and finances and school and fall sports can get in the way of a family making a visit if you wait much longer.

I cant recall all of the new rules but hope that if at least 1 family or kid gets something from this it will be worth while.
Thanks for all the good information! In the mist of the process now. Is your kid in college now?
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

j4241 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:39 am Thank you for sharing your experience! What mistakes did you make? What do you wish you’d done differently?
You and unpaidscout are welcome.

Kid is a Sr now and is heading to college next year. I still do not have it all or even most of it figured out but here are some thoughts and answers to your questions

My kid is not in the super elite category. Their path was and is most likely different (probably easier too) than what I would consider an "elite" player. My kid has never been considered to be on an Olympic or national team path (hence ZERO interest from the Gophers/Badgers/BC) but made National Camp as a 15 and 54's 1/2 possible years.

Things on the recruiting front appear to be a little different now then when my kid was 8th-10th grade. I wish that we had been more proactive in between 8th-9th grade in visiting and contacting schools and realized that for some schools they would be virtually done with recruiting for a specific class by 10th grade. We started to visit schools when it was convenient for family on vacation or on the way to hockey events spring break of 9th grade. That was very helpful in my daughter being able to make a decision when the time came to act.

We visited 20+ schools over 4 trips east for NAHA, a hockey camp, and a showcase event. Several schools we saw more than once. Sometimes we were invited by coach, others we emailed to let coaches know we were interested and visiting their school, some we just swung by the coaching office while visiting (hit or miss on that...mostly miss), and others were simply just hit and run visits (after seeing enough schools my kid sometimes knew right away that the way the campus looked or the location or other reasons made it a no go). This was extremely helpful on a variety of fronts. We took campus tours at about 1/2 the schools and as she narrowed down her list we did both the standard campus tour + a coach led tour. Always tried to see the rink and athletic facilities in general. With hockey being essentially a part time job up to 20 hours a week most of the school year along with college full time we thought it would be wise to try to approach the process looking at school and hockey separate and then collectively. Would my daughter choose to attend this school without hockey? Would she choose to play hockey for this school and staff without school? The final decision was one that had the largest overlap of both.

Prospects with OS was a great experience overall. There were a couple of coaches that my kid LOVED and others that she said she absolutely would not choose to play for as a result of their bench behavior or disinterest or style. USA/Minnesota hockey is a necessary evil and unfortunately there are a lot of coaches out east that place a heavy emphasis on how far your kid progressed. USA/MN does an ok job overall but there are many parts of that process that do not make sense to my obviously biased point of view regarding my own kid and not quite as biased point of view regarding other kids that did/did not progress how I think that they should have. Regarding USA hockey it is shocking how bad some of the players are in St Cloud from other parts of the country compared to MN kids that did not make it there. I am guessing that MN could easily add another 4 D and 9 F each birth year that would be better than the lowest 25% of kids at those camps. It is too bad but it is what it is and your kid (and you) can only control what you can control.

Having an advocate for your kid is great if/when they think that your kid is good enough to advocate for (note that they may NOT think your kid is good enough and might not advocate at all). Your HS coach might simply field calls/emails/inquiries about your kid and they might be active in other ways. Your summer/fall/AAA coach may or not advocate for you. Try to figure that out and dont hesitate to have your kid send emails to coaches and programs that she is interested in. Some responded back directly and others did not at all. Some will get back thru your HS coach or summer/other coach (especially if the kid is underage according to the current or future rules). I would recommend that she put their contact info in email or cc them on emails.

The financial piece is a whole other conversation. Some kids get full rides, some get some other % of athletic help, and others get zero. Also have heard that there are some schools with all 17(I think) scholarships and others that have some # smaller or none at all. It is my understanding that athletic aid can change over the course of a kids time at the institution. Do your best to find out how that could change in her time there. Academic or financial aid that is also a part of a calculation on what schools and programs might be in the mix.