2020 MS Goalie

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

jg2112

Re: 2020 MS Goalie

Post by jg2112 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:37 am

The fact these girls might not have gotten any games yet is a bummer.

How long before D1 committed girls goalies just skip the winter season entirely and play the Elite League, Spring League, and summer circuit? Use the winter to make athletic gains, and avoid hip injuries and concussions.

Any goalie in the JWC program and Elite League is going to play at least 50 games from March until October. That's exclusive of the last-second call ins that happen almost every weekend due to low numbers. Maybe that's enough games for a top level goalie?

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:38 pm

Facts about girl goalies playing boys HS.
1. girls are usually done growing by 10th grade. Most boys are just hitting their growth spurts.
Kids who you never thought would play any varsity growing up are now skating a regular shift and are successful.(all positions)
2. In boys hockey especially with goalies all things being equal the boy is going to play. The girl will have to earn her time. (which is how it should be.)
3. In Boys hockey more so than girls movement between varsity and JV is much more common so lineups are fluid. In the case of our teams the coaches institute a two week plan a basically stick to it except in case of injury. The lineups are very fluid until after the holidays. (I am only speaking to our team).
4. Injury is a huge factor.
5. Most JV teams will beat the best girls varsity teams easily.
6. The only reason for playing boys should be the quality of practice and the shots they see every day. all varsity game time should be considered icing on the cake.
My daughter played boys last year because there was no one else ready to step in. She decided to stay with the boys fully knowing that the JV goalie from last year was ready to move to the varsity and play. Which he has done for the first 3 games this year and played well. She gets her first start on Saturday. Though she wants to play more she understands what comes with the territory and is willing to take reduced playing time for quality practice to get ready for next year and to allow for the development of the other goalies in the program.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:16 pm

Good to hear, glad she is healthy and good luck Saturday.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:42 pm

Who's in running for winning it by the end of the year? I don't get to see most of these girls play, but names currently at/near the top for both SV% and GAA%:

Goehner
Bohner
Blair
Melancha
Dulac
Cassibo
Allen

Someone else?

kwjm

Post by kwjm » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:27 pm

zambonidriver wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:38 pm
1. girls are usually done growing by 10th grade. Most boys are just hitting their growth spurts.
Kids who you never thought would play any varsity growing up are now skating a regular shift and are successful.(all positions)
2. In boys hockey especially with goalies all things being equal the boy is going to play. The girl will have to earn her time. (which is how it should be.)
3. In Boys hockey more so than girls movement between varsity and JV is much more common so lineups are fluid. In the case of our teams the coaches institute a two week plan a basically stick to it except in case of injury. The lineups are very fluid until after the holidays. (I am only speaking to our team).
6. The only reason for playing boys should be the quality of practice and the shots they see every day. all varsity game time should be considered icing on the cake.
My daughter played boys last year because there was no one else ready to step in. She decided to stay with the boys fully knowing that the JV goalie from last year was ready to move to the varsity and play. Which he has done for the first 3 games this year and played well. She gets her first start on Saturday. Though she wants to play more she understands what comes with the territory and is willing to take reduced playing time for quality practice to get ready for next year and to allow for the development of the other goalies in the program.
If #6 is true and the "only reason for playing boys should be the quality of practice", then why not use a hybrid approach and practice with the boys varsity team but play games with the girls varsity team? Seems like a win-win situation for all involved.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:25 pm

kwjm wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:27 pm
zambonidriver wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:38 pm
If #6 is true and the "only reason for playing boys should be the quality of practice", then why not use a hybrid approach and practice with the boys varsity team but play games with the girls varsity team? Seems like a win-win situation for all involved.
MSHSL rules don't allow practice with anyone but your team you are rostered on...aka the player doing this will be declared ineligible..

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:27 am

Besides it being against the rules here is why.
1. The speed difference between boys and girls is close. For my daughter it is very hard to idle down when she moves back to playing girls hockey. She trains with the boys all summer then when she plays either elite league or in a tournament it takes a couple of games to adjust to the shots coming so much slower. Kind of like a Frank Viola change up. (Twins reference) so practing with the boys and playing with the girls would do nobody any good.

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:12 am

So what you're saying is that playing boys hockey doesn't really prepare you for going back to play on girls teams? Then why do it? I think you are also saying that the Forest Lake girls team isn't much for quality practice or shooters? IMO I think a top 5 girls team would have plenty of challenges for a goalie in practice.

Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:21 pm

I think the Lake Conference posses plenty of challenges for the future D1 girl goalies. Great one tonight with NWC and Brainerd. If a boys team looks at their goalie situation and thinks their best girl goalie in town will help then I have no problem with the challenges they face.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:42 pm

Looks like the list of 10 finalists is out, what are your thoughts?

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:42 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:42 pm
Looks like the list of 10 finalists is out, what are your thoughts?
Goehner, Pelkey or LaRose.

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:45 pm

I wouldn't imagine Goehner's 5 goals allowed to Stillwater at home on senior day Saturday will help her cause much.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:27 pm

bodyup88 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:45 pm
I wouldn't imagine Goehner's 5 goals allowed to Stillwater at home on senior day Saturday will help her cause much.
She will probably be forgiven if she beats NWC and Andover in the next week and a half.

j4241

Post by j4241 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:13 am

Becca Macklin from Lakeville South looks like she's had a very good year statistically - was that a surprising omission from the 10?

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:15 pm

Yes, and look closely at the semi-finalists. Which one of these is not like the others?

Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:04 am

Play the Lake Conference....

To have the stats Larose has playing Lake conferance is pretty amazing. Not to mention shes has more career wins and saves than All others..

Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:22 am

None of the others play near the schedule as NWC. I bet Larose is licking her chops to go head to head with Forest Lake Saturday.

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:48 am

That will be a good game, made more interesting by the fact they haven't faced each other this year. I think FL has a little more depth and I expect the Rangers to advance to face Andover again in the section final 3.0

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:33 pm

Duckguy13, were you at the FL vs NWC game on Saturday night? looked like a good one. Anybody else have any feedback on this one?