Ms. Hockey Finalists

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Eagles93

Ms. Hockey Finalists

Post by Eagles93 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:00 am

The 10 semi-finalists for Ms. Hockey have been announced:

Code: Select all

PLAYER                  TEAM	               POSITION	GP	G	A	PTS	COLLEGE COMMITTED
Mackenzie Bourgerie	North Wright County    F        27      22      23      45      St. Cloud State
Addie Burton            Blake                  F        26      25      29      54      Minnesota
Hannah Corneliusen	Warroad		       F	26	52	26	78	Merrimack
Lily Delianedis		Blake		       F	26	43	29	72	Cornell
Sydney Langseth		Eden Prairie	       F	26	31	38	69	MSU-Mankato
Olivia Mobley		Breck		       F	27	48	34	82	Quinnipiac
Jamie Nelson		Andover		       F	26	26	38	64	MSU-Mankato
Maggie Nicholson	Minnetonka     	       D	20	5	14	19	Minnesota
Kayla Santl		Roseau	 	       F	26	39	37	76	Bemidji State
Audrey Wethington	Blake		       F	23	24	28	52	Minnesota
https://www.stateofhockey.com/news_article/show/1086081

Thoughts? Favorites are probably Nicholson, Mobley, Delianedis? Langseth darkhorse? Can either of the Northern girls with the ridiculous stats crack the final 5?

jg2112

Re: Ms. Hockey Finalists

Post by jg2112 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:56 pm

If I picked the finalists, I would choose, in order:

Delianedis
Mobley
Nelson
Langseth
Corneliusen

I like Nicholson's game a lot; however, Minnetonka's results didn't change much when she and Guilday were gone. That speaks to Tonka's strength, but I do think these five players were more integral to team success this year.

Thinking ahead to 2021's potential finalists is quite intriguing as well. Perhaps a post for February 24th in this forum?

j4241

Post by j4241 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:46 pm

That's not a crazy ordering, by any means, but I think you (and Eagles93) are selling Langseth short. She has 63 points for a team that scored 86 goals. She had points on 73% of the goals for a third ranked team that still gives up almost 2 goals a game (unlike Andover, who wins on the back of domination at both ends). That is an absolutely bonkers number. No one else on the candidate list was even close to that (Delianedis at 60% was next, Mobley at 54%, Nelson at 42%, Corneliusen at 43%). She may not deserve to win, but she deserves to be in the final consideration for top two or three. She's definitely ahead of Nelson, in my opinion. Andover without Nelson would be ranked 1 or 2. EP without Langseth would be outside the top 15.

slowD

Post by slowD » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:38 pm

Why does everyone keep saying video game like points when they talk about Corneliusen? I am not sure where the stats above came from but according to the Hub she has 75, Santl and Mobley are tied at 73, Deliandes has 68, Van Batavia(9th grader) and Hendrickson(Corneliusen team mate) are tied at 67, and Langseth has 63. So where is the cut off to not be considered video game like points?

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:18 pm

j4241 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:46 pm
That's not a crazy ordering, by any means, but I think you (and Eagles93) are selling Langseth short. She has 63 points for a team that scored 86 goals. She had points on 73% of the goals for a third ranked team that still gives up almost 2 goals a game (unlike Andover, who wins on the back of domination at both ends). That is an absolutely bonkers number. No one else on the candidate list was even close to that (Delianedis at 60% was next, Mobley at 54%, Nelson at 42%, Corneliusen at 43%). She may not deserve to win, but she deserves to be in the final consideration for top two or three. She's definitely ahead of Nelson, in my opinion. Andover without Nelson would be ranked 1 or 2. EP without Langseth would be outside the top 15.
To be clear, I'm not selling any of these wonderful players short. We just have to choose. I think all 10 are worthy potential winners. I also have a skater in the house who has played with and against all these players, and she had a little bit of input in my analysis as well.

To think we'd get a top 10 this year without any Edina players, Hanzel, Steigauf, or Martin is quite a surprise.

Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:20 pm

j4241 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:46 pm
I agree, I was just trying to spark some debate. I said darkhorse because I think she's deserving but I don't feel like she gets the same recognition as some of the other names.

I think Langseth will be in final 5 and deserves consideration for winner.
Delianedis loses a little bit of luster with three teammates in final 10. But still a deserving winner.
Nelson has a lot of help around her.
I think Nicholson should make final 5 based on skill, does the "Gopher effect" push her to the top?
Would prefer to see Breck play an Edina/Tonka/Andover/EP schedule before I vote for Mobley.
Santl is a nice player, not best in state though.
Corneliusen plays a lot of cupcakes.
Burton and Wethington can't win, not the best senior on their team.
Not very familiar with Bourgerie.

All of these girls are phenomenal players, don't take any of the above as criticism of them individually.

I think 2021 is a one-horse race, Hemp wins it. We can wait for that discussion in a couple weeks.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:30 pm

Opinion alert!!!

Lots of great thoughts so far. Hard to argue with any of the candidates as all have had nice seasons and in some cases amazing HS careers.

Delianedis, Mobley, or Langseth should win imo. Fascinating point that all have made a select USA camp but NONE have made a USA team even for the Canada series.

Lily D has piles of points with a strong SOS. Also has had elite line mates most of the season.

Mobley very well could be the biggest game changer in MNHS hockey. She and her teammates should roll thru the rest of the A tourney. Great line mates as well.

I agree with all who have mentioned Langseth and her accolades. She is special and I am excited to see what she along with Nelson, Mashuga, King, and the others committed to MSU over the next bunch of years. Probably the weakest line mates of maybe the 10 finalists.

Nicholson has all of the outside accolades available and will be in the final 5 because of all of those. Team USA for 3 years and was a Captain this past year. Minnesota commit. (clearly the best place to be committed to in this contest...WCHA is next). May have been the best player in this class the 3 prior years. Might have the biggest impact on the game beyond college if she chooses to continue to play that long. (many do not) Unfortunately less that 1 point a game vs 1.96 ppg for last years winner Madeline Wethington who also was a D.

I am going with Audrey Wethington as the dark horse #5 finalist. Family history/tree second to none. Team USA 2 years. Tenacious defensive forechecker and back checker. Heading to Minnesota (that helps!). Plenty of points compared with others.

I am resigned to the fact that MN Hockey will want some outstate/northern representation in the final 5. In that case I vote for Kayla Santl. Roseau beat Warroad 2x. Points against each other were 5 for Santl and 3 for Corneliusen. Warroad plays a weaker schedule in my opinion than Roseau.

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:24 am

Actually, Warroad and Roseau split their games; Warroad won 9-5 in Roseau and the Rams returned the favor at the Gardens 9-6. Surprisingly, despite 29 total goals scored in those two games, Santl had 5 points and Corneliusen had three. The Hendrickson girls and Phaneuf had 19 combined points in that first game.
With respect to Lily D I think you have to take a hard look at the games over the WWC18 when Wethington was gone. Blake lost twice to Rogers and Holy Family where Lily scored 1 goal in those two losses. I would be shocked if Wethington is not a finalist and based on her college choice and name. I believe that the award should go to either Mobley or Langseth. We'll see if they can swim upstream enough to overcome where they elected to attend college - an absolutely ridiculous, but real, factor.

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:34 am

BTW, Hanzel from Roch is just a junior in 2020.

j4241

Post by j4241 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:15 pm

Pretty hard to argue about Delianedis' consistency. She had three points in the two losses over the holidays. She has had 3 games in the last two seasons (now spanning 54 games) in which she's been held without a point. Langseth (just to pick one example) has had 8.

Yogi17

Post by Yogi17 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:46 pm

Delianedis
Langseth
Nicholson
Mobley
Corneliusen

Hockeymaven1

Post by Hockeymaven1 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:57 pm

Mobley by comparison has 5 games with zero points just this year with Breck playing a softer schedule than Blake

Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:16 pm

The 5 finalists have been announced:

Corneliusen
Delianedis
Langseth
Mobley
Nicholson

https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news_a ... ow/1087485

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:30 pm

All Metro Teams:

https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news_a ... ow/1087654

Mobley Player of the year...really no argument here with that choice...

Also feel like the 1st thru 3rd teams is generally pretty good...

ZERO commits to the hometown Gophers on 1st team. When was the last time that happened?!?

Mobley or Delianedis for Ms Hockey. No way will it be a Gopher this year with the only finalist being 2nd team all metro.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:14 am

Metro Player of the Year correlation to Ms Hockey:

2019 Wethington wins both attends U of Minn
2018 Gabbie Hughes wins Metro Player of the Year attends UMD (orig. committed to UND).Heise wins Ms Hockey (Red Wing not very metro) U of Minn
2017 Zumwinkle wins both attends U of Minn
2016 Norby wins both attends U of Wisconsin
2015 Williamson wins both attends U of Minn
2014 Baldwin wins both attends U of Minn
2013 Cameranisi wins both attends U of Minn
2012 Brandt wins both attends U of Minn
2011 Meghan Lorence of Irondale wins Metro attends U of Minn. Karley Sylvester wins Ms Hockey (Warroad aint metro) attends U of Wisconsin (bonus points for marrying HS sweetheart Brock Nelson of UND and now NHL fame).
2010 Brausen wins both attends U of Minn

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:35 am

I have thought more and more about this...

sotagirlshockey.com had some excellent ideas and thoughts without names. This is a great read and very worthwhile to read prior to the award. Side note: I miss that human's writing about girls hockey. It was so great.

https://sotagirlshockey.com/2020/02/11/ ... ommentary/

I am changing my prediction. I know that the votes are done BEFORE the state tourney but after watching Nicholson, Corneliuson, & Mobley and looking at the data and resume's of all players including those who have did not play in the state tourney I have a new prediction. Note I am not saying at all WHO I think SHOULD win but who I think WILL win.

I believe that Nicholson wins. She was so good in the tourney (again I think that vote was prior). Body of work over last 4 years is second to none. Game winning assist in OT of the U18 World Championships. The best 2020 D in the state & country for all of her HS years.

It is actually interesting that there is some intrigue this year for the first time since 2016. Congrats to all.

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Mobley a very deserving winner.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:29 pm

bodyup88 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:41 pm
Mobley a very deserving winner.
From the little I saw of her (tournament - all three Breck games) I would agree. High school players aren't supposed to have that kind of talent. In particular, her stickhandling ability in traffic was especially tremendous.