State Tournament Seeding

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

jg2112

Re: State Tournament Seeding

Post by jg2112 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:04 pm

There's absolutely nothing stopping the High School League from forcing Breck to move up to fill in one of the two open 5AA spots.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:54 pm

Agree with bodyup. Move Breck to 6AA this year and you would have had 5 teams that are definite favorites against seeds 5-8 in this years tourney.

Lots of blowout games and at mostly every tourney on the girls side with quarterfinal games other than the 4-5 and occasional 3-6 game. Especially at the A level but also AA.

I believe that some schools have boys AA teams and choose to play A but often both teams move up or down at the same time. Clearly it made sense for Blake (the most notable school to do it recently) and their boys team has flourished and is the #1 seed in the toughest boys section in the state. There are 5 teams that could win the AA championship in that section if they made it out alive and played well in St Paul. Breck's boys team was pretty elite in A for number of years but are not close to the top 10 on the boys side. Holy Angels is the team that plays AA in both boys and girls hockey and had elite teams years ago but are now average to below average metro hockey teams.

Its complicated for sure but as I have stated here before there is NO team in A that Breck should lose to. They have to be 5-1 favorites against even the best of the rest in A. They will ROLL this year and should until the last of the Lindsay girls graduate. I predict at least 5 in a row for the Mustangs.

Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:01 am

Great state tournament. Glad to see the Rams proved my earlier point that they should have been seeded instead of Hill Murray!
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:21 am

Green and White Fan wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:01 am
Great state tournament. Glad to see the Rams proved my earlier point that they should have been seeded instead of Hill Murray!
Having won two out of three and taking home the Consolation trophy, they were the "surprise team" of the AA tourney, at least for me.

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:31 am

Congrats to the Rams on a great tournament and to Anika Stoskopf on winning the Herb Brooks award for Class AA.

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:31 am

Congrats to the Rams on a great tournament and to Anika Stoskopf on winning the Herb Brooks award for Class AA.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:10 pm

Green and White Fan wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:01 am
Roseau took it to them. They definitely were the better team this year. Good luck next year...