Breck

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

jdh

Breck

Post by jdh »

I’m watching Breck and Lourdes right now. It’s time for them to follow Blake’s path and MOVE UP TO AA. Trophy hunting is all it is. Any thought?
jg2112

Re: Breck

Post by jg2112 »

jdh wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:28 pm I’m watching Breck and Lourdes right now. It’s time for them to follow Blake’s path and MOVE UP TO AA. Trophy hunting is all it is. Any thought?
Your second sentence shows the issue. Breck shouldn't get to choose whether to follow Blake to AA. Private schools should either be in their own tournament, or be forced to play AA.

For what it's worth, it's pretty cool the final four this year at AA, as well as the prior 2 years, are all public schools.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Yes, but the reason a private school should be AA in spite of being small is they recruit kids for their teams - punch way above their enrollment weight. If we are kicking Breck out of A, how about we kick Edina out of high school hockey and make them play Shattuck, since they are a huge school, recruit from privates, and also recruit nationally?
j4241

Post by j4241 »

At least Andover only recruits from Minnesota.
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

After they just scored, my wife shouted "DUMB: NOBODY even likes Breck!"

She doesnt know much about hockey but she has that part down lol
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

j4241 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:40 pm Yes, but the reason a private school should be AA in spite of being small is they recruit kids for their teams - punch way above their enrollment weight. If we are kicking Breck out of A, how about we kick Edina out of high school hockey and make them play Shattuck, since they are a huge school, recruit from privates, and also recruit nationally?
Edina is the 15th largest HS school in the state.
https://www.publicschoolreview.com/scho ... esota/high
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Was that supposed to be an argument against my point? I wasn’t saying they are the biggest, just that they are very big AND recruit nationally.
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

j4241 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:57 pm Was that supposed to be an argument against my point? I wasn’t saying they are the biggest, just that they are very big AND recruit nationally.
Any number of the stronger programs in MN have players whose families move into that district from elsewhere as Edina in not unique in that regard as kids (and their parents) want to play for best teams.

Open enrollment also changed the entire game with regard to HS sports in MN as did allowing the private schools to join the MSHSL in the 1970's.
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Name one team with previously D1 committed kids who moved in from out of state for their junior and senior year. Take your time.
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

j4241 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:59 pm Name one team with previously D1 committed kids who moved in from out of state for their junior and senior year. Take your time.
And you of course know they didn't choose to move here to provide a better opportunity for their kid and that someone directly associated with the program actively recruited these player(s)?

I have no special place in my heart for Edina but since the early 70's how the entire HS game works in hockey and some other sports (Hopkins basketball?) has all changed.

You can continue your campaign but this has been going on to some extent for quite a long time in a number of associations. How many kids from Coleraine had dads who found jobs at the paper mill in Grand Rapids and moved the family there in the 70's?
j4241

Post by j4241 »

My campaign? Ok.

The 70s? Huh?

Back on topic: Breck should be AA.
jdh

Post by jdh »

Gee, I’m s o o o o glad Breck won another trophy. Made my day.
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

If only the MSHSL let teams have the option of moving up to a higher class instead of letting them rout out-classed competition.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Please board members from Breck, move them up! Their first title I will admit was a lot of fun winning in OT, but now it's meaningless. Blake's 4 in 5 years, STA boys dominance etc, but my biggest venom goes to Hermantown's Plante who complained about losing to STA every year but after like 3 titles and about 9 or 10 finals....nope, we're staying.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

jdh wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:23 pm Gee, I’m s o o o o glad Breck won another trophy. Made my day.
Then you must be absolutely thrilled that Edina did not win another one. :roll:
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

If I can decipher all of the sarcasm in this thread, it appears there actually seems to be some defending Breck in here. Here is what Breck did in the last two weeks of the section playoffs and state tournament:

6-0
Goals for: 49 (8.2/game)
Goals against: 5 (0.8/game)
Shots for: 248 (41.3/game) *
Shots against: 90 (15.0/game)
5 of 6 games reached running time

* The shot differential would be way worse except for the fact in two of those games they patronized the other team and didn't register a shot on goal in the final two periods.

That's not dominance, that's a disgrace that they're playing in class A. They ruined what would have otherwise been a great tournament. Again. Talk about Hermantown or "boo hoo, we'd have to play in Section 6AA" or anything else is simply deflection from the fact that Breck absolutely needs to do the right thing and opt up to AA next year.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

The west side paper and the HUB has questions about it too:

https://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/news_a ... ow/1089479
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

Well stated Eagles. Agree.

Breck has had zero stress in any games since Warroad OT 2 years ago.
massalsa wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:09 pm The west side paper and the HUB has questions about it too:
West side paper IS the Hub....duh.

Breck is gonna be GOOD next year...really good. They would be the favorite in any section they go to other than 6AA and they very well might negotiate with the MSHSL that they will move to AA. If and ONLY IF they dont get moved into 6AA. I predict a move to the Maple Grove section but really Osseo should move to that section. (more complaining about the way the state tourney is set up with 3 nuts sections and the rest not so much).
hockey21

Post by hockey21 »

The MSHSL does not make deals of what section you get to be in period! Breck should move up, not expect special treatment, and compete where they are placed. Remember the girls hockey is one of like 40 things they over see, what is important to the girls hockey community is not at the top of their list every sport/activity has things they feel are the most important and placing Breck somewhere else next year because they don’t want section 6AA or we stay A is not something they care as much about as the girls hockey community might! More of their concern is how all of the community’s that are represented at Andover and Breck will get to spend time with the state championship trophy’s there will be lots of stops to cover all of the on their victory tour’s. #comingtoacitynearyou :D :D
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

j4241 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:40 pm Yes, but the reason a private school should be AA in spite of being small is they recruit kids for their teams - punch way above their enrollment weight. If we are kicking Breck out of A, how about we kick Edina out of high school hockey and make them play Shattuck, since they are a huge school, recruit from privates, and also recruit nationally?
How many kids on the Edina roster didn't play the majority of their youth for EHA?
j4241

Post by j4241 »

Since you asked, I believe three of the 15 skaters that played regularly (so 20%), though there could be others I'm not aware of. Two are from Selects Academy (out of state) and one from Andover, and not to mention the goaltender who left then came back. The flip side for Edina is that a high school all-star team of EHA kids this year would have been unstoppable - Wethington and Delianedis from Blake alone would have been ridiculous additions. There are probably others that would have made the team at other schools - Peschel from BSM maybe?
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

j4241 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:01 am Since you asked, I believe three of the 15 skaters that played regularly (so 20%), though there could be others I'm not aware of. Two are from Selects Academy (out of state) and one from Andover, and not to mention the goaltender who left then came back. The flip side for Edina is that a high school all-star team of EHA kids this year would have been unstoppable - Wethington and Delianedis from Blake alone would have been ridiculous additions. There are probably others that would have made the team at other schools - Peschel from BSM maybe?
Blum and Pettygrove (defenders) at Blake. Not to mention the freshman Wethington defender, and the even younger one who will be there soon.
Morgan (top 4 defender) at Holy Family.
The goalie who replaced Courneia at Breck (Peterson) is an EHA alum as well.
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

I think that the Halverson sisters (8th & 12th and 57 regular season points) from Breck are EHA alumni as well. Also fairly sure that Pettygrove was a Hopkins school kid who played most or all of her youth for EHA so most likely was not gonna be able to play for EHS.
jdh

Post by jdh »

MNHockeyFan wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:16 pm
jdh wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:23 pm Gee, I’m s o o o o glad Breck won another trophy. Made my day.
Then you must be absolutely thrilled that Edina did not win another one. :roll:
You got that right.
SS729

Post by SS729 »

Not sure why the crying about Breck. Look at Warroad who makes it every yr. 2yrs ago they recruited a goalie at Christmas to make it out of sections. That yr and every yr their roster is filled with new names from across Canada and Minnesota. They had a goalie lined up to move in this yr but that fell through so he had to go to Grand Forks and invite a goalie up just to have a chance to compete at state. They are a private school that parents get jobs for 3yrs and housing , but they don't have to pay the high fees. Get over it. All the top team seem to recruit so who cares what class they are. Do you move them up because they recruit better?