COVID now affecting summer hockey / showcases

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

jg2112

COVID now affecting summer hockey / showcases

Post by jg2112 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:43 pm

If the news is true that the stay at home order will be extended to May 18? Assuming Gov. Walz follows the CDC guidelines for re-opening sectors of the economy:

Spring hockey is probably shut down for good;
The first O/S showcase weekend must be moved from the first weekend of June;
The second O/S showcase weekend will likely need to be rescheduled as well (mid-June);
The beginning of summer high school training camps for all sports will likely be pushed back 2-3 weeks.

There's no way to sugarcoat how bad this stinks for the athletes.

PhunnsieMcHockeyDad

Re: COVID now affecting summer hockey / showcases

Post by PhunnsieMcHockeyDad » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:30 pm

I've had a few conversations with my rink-manager friends about the timeline. I think everyone has been resigned to a June 1 start date as a best-case scenario. They've already worked up a set of protocols for getting the kids back on the ice. Get ready for home dressing, no locker rooms, and parents doing the drop and drive routine (I don't think - at least initially - parents will be allowed in the rinks)....if that's what it takes to get them back on the ice then that's what it takes.

HS Camps can't start until June 1, Os camps start June 8 and got an email yesterday telling us to be ready....I'm guessing Winny will push everything (Prospects/Futures) back and load up Fall League so everyone gets their ice time in.

Also, many of the rinks have taken ice out to save $$….they'll need a couple of weeks to get it back in.

So ultimately - if they go back on June 1- I guess (hockey-wise) they miss out on Spring League, and some crappy/unbalanced AAA tournaments.

Not ideal, but it is what it is I guess....if it goes past June 1 then I think it starts to get ugly. We're gonna find out how many of the 2022's already had college offers in hand when they commit on June 16 and the coaches haven't seen them since March....

moosepaw

Post by moosepaw » Fri May 01, 2020 10:39 am

I’m guessing earliest for anyone to be on the ice will be August 1st. Minnesota won’t come out of peak for two weeks yet. Rinks are perfect conditions for virus.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri May 01, 2020 12:25 pm

moosepaw wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:39 am
I’m guessing earliest for anyone to be on the ice will be August 1st. Minnesota won’t come out of peak for two weeks yet. Rinks are perfect conditions for virus.
Not in Minnesota, but I find it quite unfortunate that Beantown hasn't cancelled yet, given all the logistics needed to put on that tournament.

moosepaw

Post by moosepaw » Fri May 01, 2020 2:02 pm

Bean town is not a good tourney, to many rinks to many below average players, very few colleges that go there. Look at the list of coaches that are on the sign in list. 11 last year?

It’s a Hail Mary for division 1.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue May 26, 2020 2:27 pm

Just heard about the recruiting blackout being extended to July 31st. Hope that I am wrong.

diablo26

Elite League for Fall

Post by diablo26 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:50 pm

Will there be elite this fall for 16u, 19u?

jg2112

Re: Elite League for Fall

Post by jg2112 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:24 pm

diablo26 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:50 pm
Will there be elite this fall for 16u, 19u?
Undoubtedly. July to October is going to be overloaded with practices, camps, showcases, and games.