Week 4 Games of the week

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

moosepaw

Week 4 Games of the week

Post by moosepaw » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:59 am

Looking over this weeks games way to0 many good games so I picked a few more. I did 2-0 last week.

Metro

Edina VS Hill Murray pick Edina by 1

Wayzata VS Blake- tie Blake is moving up.

Outstate

Gran Rapids VS Roseau This should be a great game, going with Roseau battle of 1 line teams.

Moorhead VS Brainerd-Little Falls Moorhead up and coming program, section game, going with Moorhead in the upset.

With about 6 weeks left AA top 10 is starting to take shape with Hill Murray, Blake and Stillwater moving up in the top teams.

Class A looks like Mound Westonka was underrated, Gentry is for real, when did they get moved to section 5A, not good news for Breck, CL, Orono, with all these good teams did Niccum and company play in their last state tourney?

IM liking Hill Murray more and more, Cant wait for the Stillwater vs Hill Murray game. Maple Grove moving down the top 10 not sure if they will get by Blaine. Impressed with Edina, Minnetonka what they did to Willmar is the outstate teams that uncompetitive? Hope to get a better read on Eden Prairie and Wayzata after this week. Roseau thrashing they took from Warroad they are my favorite to win Class A.

PhunnsieMcHockeyDad

Re: Week 4 Games of the week

Post by PhunnsieMcHockeyDad » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:46 am

Moosepaw you overlooked the only one that matters this week....

Minnetonka @ Edina Tuesday night. The Skippers might be the only team in the state that can hang with Edina and/or Andover. The top 2 look to be too good for the rest of the field. If the home team runs away with it on Tuesday night, everyone else is playing for fun.

Hill might stay within 5 of Edina, but only because it's night 2 of back to backs.

Prediction - The Hornets smoke both of those teams and we all hope COVID stays in check and we get Andover v Edina part 2 in March.

Warroad makes the long drive to Vadnais Heights for game with Gentry on Saturday night - they'll both be there in March too. Warroad might be the only outstate team that can hang with a Metro squad in either class (Chisago is pretty much a metro team at this point).

Blake at Benilde Saturday night - who wants the #2 seed in Section 6? Unless....

Stillwater at CDH on Tuesday. Are the 4-0 Raiders for real under Coach Scheid? Beating the East Side's Big Red Machine could throw them into the mix at #2 or #3 in Section 6 as well (although strength of schedule will favor the teams in the west). The Ponies top group is really good, hard to stop them.

Fun games this week, looking forward to some quality hockey!

girlshockey4ever

Post by girlshockey4ever » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:07 pm

It kills me to agree, but MChockeydad is right. The Edina Tonka game will tell us a great deal. Is this a 2 horse race or could it be a 3 horse race.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:30 pm

PhunnsieMcHockeyDad wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:46 am
Moosepaw you overlooked the only one that matters this week....

Minnetonka @ Edina Tuesday night. The Skippers might be the only team in the state that can hang with Edina and/or Andover. The top 2 look to be too good for the rest of the field. If the home team runs away with it on Tuesday night, everyone else is playing for fun.

Hill might stay within 5 of Edina, but only because it's night 2 of back to backs.

Prediction - The Hornets smoke both of those teams and we all hope COVID stays in check and we get Andover v Edina part 2 in March.

Warroad makes the long drive to Vadnais Heights for game with Gentry on Saturday night - they'll both be there in March too. Warroad might be the only outstate team that can hang with a Metro squad in either class (Chisago is pretty much a metro team at this point).

Blake at Benilde Saturday night - who wants the #2 seed in Section 6? Unless....

Stillwater at CDH on Tuesday. Are the 4-0 Raiders for real under Coach Scheid? Beating the East Side's Big Red Machine could throw them into the mix at #2 or #3 in Section 6 as well (although strength of schedule will favor the teams in the west). The Ponies top group is really good, hard to stop them.

Fun games this week, looking forward to some quality hockey!
I'll take that bet. HM does not have the scoring punch Edina has, but they will play them close.

Hill went undefeated up to the semis of state 5 or so years ago scoring at a high rate. And they ran into a hot Maple Grove goalie and lost 1-0... It can happen.

moosepaw

Post by moosepaw » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:10 am

I did see that game between Minnetonka and Edina, this will be one of the best games for sure this week. I think I’m just getting a little burnt out in Edina.

I will go with Minnetonka 4-2. I did not have one prediction wrong last week. Will see if I can keep my streak going.

girlshockey4ever

Post by girlshockey4ever » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:02 pm

"It's a bold move Cotton. Let's see if it pays off." :D

On another note, when do qrf scores begin to get calculated?

Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:16 pm

QRF is posted: http://www.minnesota-scores.net/classqr ... 0&class=-2

I'm going to post KRACH rankings shortly.

Cookster

Post by Cookster » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:18 pm

HF 0 BSM 0. Very entertaining game. HF a penalty shot with 45 seconds remaining in OT. Goalies played well.

Didn't see Kaiser in JV game. Injured?

girlshockey4ever

Post by girlshockey4ever » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:27 pm

Was able to watch the Edina Tonka game. It did not disappoint. Great game by both teams. Edina has lots of top end speed through the NZ. Uma had to make some great saves. However, if anyone thought that Tonka would be down after losing 10 seniors including Nicholson they would be mistaken. Great young team that just kept coming at the hornets. HM plays Edina tomorrow. That will tell us if things are up for grabs. After tonight, it's pretty obvious that it's for sure a 3 horse race for the state title.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:20 am

HM and Edina was scoreless with 6 minutes to play. Edina was the better team and deserved the win, so congrats to them. But there was no doubt from watching the game that Hill could beat them. I wouldn't count HM out yet...

j4241

Post by j4241 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:58 am

Hill had some chances, but not many. Edina was a much better team. Edina certainly has some holes in their line-up - some kids (including D1 commits) creating very little offense, and some D that are mistake prone against a strong forecheck. But their holes are a lot smaller than Hill's. Hill is getting by with stout defense and a good goaltender - a great starting point for a championship team. But their forward group is relatively ho-hum at that tippy top level of competition. Given their ability to keep good offensive teams from scoring, they are certainly capable of an upset of a top team like Edina, but I wouldn't bet that way. I'd also point out that Edina looked a little sluggish - which I attribute to physical and mental fatigue after a big emotional win the night before.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:27 am

j4241 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:58 am
Hill had some chances, but not many. Edina was a much better team. Edina certainly has some holes in their line-up - some kids (including D1 commits) creating very little offense, and some D that are mistake prone against a strong forecheck. But their holes are a lot smaller than Hill's. Hill is getting by with stout defense and a good goaltender - a great starting point for a championship team. But their forward group is relatively ho-hum at that tippy top level of competition. Given their ability to keep good offensive teams from scoring, they are certainly capable of an upset of a top team like Edina, but I wouldn't bet that way. I'd also point out that Edina looked a little sluggish - which I attribute to physical and mental fatigue after a big emotional win the night before.
well, I'd agree with all that. I'd still expect Edina to win a second matchup. And since there is another very good team in the state (Andover), I wouldn't expect a low scoring team like HM to be able to upset both on back to back nights, which is likely what someone else is going to have to do to win state.

But I still scoff at anyone that thought HM would be lucky to stay within 5. That is underselling a good HM team.

PhunnsieMcHockeyDad

Post by PhunnsieMcHockeyDad » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:22 pm

I stand corrected, but the ice was pretty tilted most of the game (isn't Live Barn a great tool?) & Edina was on the 2nd night of B2B games against top teams so they seemed a little gassed. Hill's goalie is fantastic, she was on our Tier 1 team in D2 this Fall. Just a freshman and a great kid too. No doubt HM is a top 10 team.

Also saw Stillwater last week up close, HM won't walk over them in Sections. Another really, really good young goalie, tons of speed and they play hard. I hope the gates are open for spectators by the time we get to that point because that will be a good one.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:38 pm

PhunnsieMcHockeyDad wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:22 pm
I stand corrected, but the ice was pretty tilted most of the game (isn't Live Barn a great tool?) & Edina was on the 2nd night of B2B games against top teams so they seemed a little gassed. Hill's goalie is fantastic, she was on our Tier 1 team in D2 this Fall. Just a freshman and a great kid too. No doubt HM is a top 10 team.

Also saw Stillwater last week up close, HM won't walk over them in Sections. Another really, really good young goalie, tons of speed and they play hard. I hope the gates are open for spectators by the time we get to that point because that will be a good one.
Was waiting to see you post here. I stand corrected about my "best night of the hockey season" lineup. As things stand now I would expect CDH to take part in that Section 6 semi-final showdown. They've been a very good team so far this season.

PhunnsieMcHockeyDad

Post by PhunnsieMcHockeyDad » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:34 pm

It's all good fun!

CDH is improved, Stillwater is probably a goal better than the Raiders but we(*) missed some good opportunities and hit some pipes. The Ponies second goal was a little fluky from the point, our(*) goalie lost in in the mess....still counts though! I would say the balance of the offensive zone time was about 60-40 Stillwater and the shots on goal reflect that. Really good, competitive game.

Looking forward to the rematch at the end of the season!

I think they key to Section 6 is getting a 2 or 3 seed, 4/5 will be a tough game and the payoff in the semi's is a matchup with the Hornets. Really brutal section....imagine if the MSHSL had stuck to their guns and left Minnetonka in there last year!

(*)Full disclosure - my daughter is on the team.

j4241

Post by j4241 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:12 pm

I think the key to section 6 is attending Edina. Maybe, maybe, maybe BSM, if they get crazy lucky. But Blake, Wayzata and CDH are looking a long way uphill as a team. And CDH - they are 1-1 against good teams. The remainder of their wins (including two close ones) are against teams that have collectively 1 win. They are clearly up - which is awesome! - but how much we'll know more in the next two weeks.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:12 am

The first "massive" upset of the season:

Based on Let's Play Hockey rankings, #16 Gentry Academy 3 - #1 Warroad 1.