Dead period extended....again

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Thoen88

Dead period extended....again

Post by Thoen88 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:29 am

As many probably already have heard/read, the NCAA announced this week the recruiting dead period for all Division 1 sports has been extended until at least May 31. The NCAA stated it would provide an update no later than April 15.

j4241

Re: Dead period extended....again

Post by j4241 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:19 pm

I don’t know exactly what to make of this. People are buying and selling gajillions of dollars of goods and services, companies, stock, etc without being able to evaluate them in person because of covid. Is this really that big of a deal? Is this a bigger deal because kids can’t visit a campus? Or because coaches can’t evaluate talent in person?

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:40 pm

Kids can still visit campuses. Whether they can visit with coaches, I'm unsure.

I don't think this affects 2022 and 2023 grads in Minnesota as much as the grad transfer market, or the fact a number of girls deferred for a year due to COVID.

In fact, this might be a net positive. Girls get April and May to recover from the late winter season and prepare for the summer showcases that start in early June.

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:44 am

jg2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:40 pm

I don't think this affects 2022 and 2023 grads in Minnesota as much as the grad transfer market, or the fact a number of girls deferred for a year due to COVID.

In fact, this might be a net positive. Girls get April and May to recover from the late winter season and prepare for the summer showcases that start in early June.
They can not visit with coaches during the dead period. They may visit campus on their own. And they can facetime with the coaches during their visit. But no in person visits. This is the NCAA trying to be ultra safe, but its getting frustrating.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:49 am

Sparlimb wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:44 am
jg2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:40 pm

They can not visit with coaches during the dead period. They may visit campus on their own. And they can facetime with the coaches during their visit. But no in person visits. This is the NCAA trying to be ultra safe, but its getting frustrating.
Specific to girls' hockey, this is the NCAA maintaining the status quo (the quiet period) during April and May.

Nobody should be frustrated. Prospects is in June and July, communication can continue, and upperclass players will find their spots in due course.

j4241

Post by j4241 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:56 am

I think people should be frustrated, but not about this. The window for upperclass players has almost entirely closed. Extra eligibility means the normal number of roughly 45 kids playing D1 from Minnesota each year should likely be more like 35 for the next several years because of COVID and extra eligiblity, and the '22 class already has more than 40. There is no doubt there are currently committed kids who will be told there's not room for them, and there will be a cascade effect - strong but not strong enough kids will be decommitted from top programs, and they will slide down and take spots from less strong kids at weaker programs. The next year+ could be tense and ugly.