Section Winners and upsets

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Eagles93

Re: Section Winners and upsets

Post by Eagles93 »

Green and White Fan wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:58 pm Why are there not goal judges, especially for playoffs? We have goal judges for every boys and girls game all season long?
I don't think I've ever seen a goal judge at a regular season game. For playoffs, I believe they don't use them until the section semi-finals, which usually are at neutral rinks. I wonder if they'll be able to find enough judges this year, I know they're struggling just to find refs.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

jg2112 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:31 pm Yeah. The most important lesson any talented Princeton 8th grader took from last night's game was that, if she wants to win any Section games the next four years, she needs to open enroll to Andover.
She'll have to sort that out with her parents. They might like living in Princeton, and winning hockey section games might not top the list of priorities for the family.
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

jg2112 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:31 pm Yeah. The most important lesson any talented Princeton 8th grader took from last night's game was that, if she wants to win any Section games the next four years, she needs to open enroll to Andover.
If that talented player and her family chose to relocate, there would still be learning opportunities, just different ones. Just spit balling here, but for example, it's one lesson when you are the top player on a team, and quite another when you are not. Both are valuable opportunities for learning and growing. The mission of the MSHSL is becoming more and more widely accepted and practiced by the adults charged with this focus. Students learning through activities, this is "Why We Play". Does that satisfy the fan looking to be entertained? Often not, but math class wouldn't be very exciting for most spectators either.
LSQRANK

Post by LSQRANK »

jg2112 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:27 am
Sparlimb wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:38 am
jg2112 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:28 pm I just looked at the Hockey Hub. It's near the end of the second period.

Andover 11 - Princeton 0.

Shots on goal are 78-1.

Somebody tell me why this game had to happen, why Princeton needed to be humiliated like this. Tell me why the people in charge of things can't be flexible, seed the top 64 teams in the State into a serious state tourney, and figure out a consolation tournament for the rest.

Sorry - it's now 14-0, SOG 81-1 ninety seconds into the 3rd. And yes, I see Andover's first line players on the stat sheet in the 3rd period, so they're not calling em off.
So are you saying someone at the MSHSL should know years ahead of time this game is a mismatch? Or are you saying that this week, when they did seedings, that they should have denied Princeton a chance to play in the playoffs? Because those are both dumb. We saw seeding the top 64 teams in 1992 and it led to a 1 win Rosemount team making the Class A championship. That was worse.
I'm not saying either of those things.

School administrators have been agile enough to cancel and reschedule games on 24-48 hours' notice this season across all sports. Are we claiming the MSHSL isn't agile enough to download the KRACH rankings and create a postseason tournament that is potentially more competitive than the nonsense we saw last night, where 16 of the 43 games ended in running time?
The KRACH algorithm does not produce a rating profile scale that allows one to predict a score differential, it actually throws-out, i.e. doe not make use of a game score other than whether a game result was a win-lose or a tie game. To predict a game score differential, one needs to use a least-squares approach to produce a rating profile. And yes, you are absolutely correct that these administrators should be capable of looking at a end-of-regular-season rating profile to predict which match-ups are going to be blow outs. But a more important point that you alude to is that the present two class system (single A & double AA) needs to be recalibrated into perhaps 3 classes, or keep two classes but wait until the end of regular season to divide teams state wide into the two divisions based upon rating profiles. Yes, throw out the current system and use a more challenging approach. So if a team wants to be in the AA tournament bracket, then they have to earn it during the regular season by playing against quality opponents. This approach would also systematically get rid of human bias when selecting which teams get into the top 64 and which teams are in the bottom 64. A weaker team that may have a good WW-LL-TT record still might end up in the bottom 64 depending upon the quality of their opponents. Think about all the hype and excitement that an NCAA March-Madness type selection would generate. I performed an analysis on the HS boys side where the 149 teams where divided into three divisions (D1, D2 & D3) and eight sections per division. Theoretically, It all but eliminated any blow-out or even run-time events during the play-off match-ups.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

Alexandria 2, Brainerd 1. Alexandria scored an extra attacker goal with one second left to send the game to OT.
moosepaw

State Selection Saturday

Post by moosepaw »

1A Albert Lea
2A Mound Westonka
3A Mankato East
4A Gentry Academy
5A Chisago Lakes
6A Willmar
7A Proctor/Hermantown
8A Warroad

1AA Farmington
2AA Holy Family
3AA Eastview
4AA Hill Murray
5AA Maple Grove
6AA Edina
7AA Andover
8AA Roseau
Eagles93

Re: State Selection Saturday

Post by Eagles93 »

moosepaw wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:13 pm 1A Albert Lea
2A Mound Westonka
3A Mankato East
4A Gentry
5A Breck
6A Willmar
7A ProctorHermantown
8A Warroad

1AA Farmington
2AA Holy Family
3AA East View
4AA Hill Murray
5AA Centenial
6AA Edina
7AA Andover
8AA Roseau
moosepaw wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:45 pm 1A Albert Lea
2A Mound Westonka
3A Mankato East
4A Gentry Academy
5A Chisago Lakes
6A Willmar
7A Proctor/Hermantown
8A Warroad

1AA Farmington
2AA Holy Family
3AA Eastview
4AA Hill Murray
5AA Maple Grove
6AA Edina
7AA Andover
8AA Roseau
That's not how predictions work... :lol: :lol:
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

Alexandria 2, Roseau 1, FINAL!

Way to go, Cards!
girlshockey4ever

Post by girlshockey4ever »

Top 3 teams in state take care of business. Didn't see any of them. Anyone have anything?

Tonka 4, HF 1
Shots 33-12.

Edina 3, BSM 1
Shots 32- 23

Andover 6 GR 1
Shots 56-5
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

I watched a bit of the Tonka/HF stream. HF spent a lot of time in the penalty box it seemed. Ice was pretty slanted, Tonka controlled the play most of the time.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

What in the world happened to Grand Rapids? Only 5 shots on net for the entire game? And give up 56? :roll: