Tournament on tv

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MNHockeyFan

Re: Tournament on tv

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:09 pm Proctor 3, Warroad 1 final. They seem perfectly comfortable in their own zone for long stretches. For all the play and passes through the crease, Warroad really didn't have much to show for it. I'd say Warroad controlled most of puck possession, and though Proctor didn't have many rushes, they probably still had more quality chances than Warroad.
Yep, the Warriors controlled the puck for long stretches in the offensive zone, especially early on, but could only find the back of the net once, and it came early on. When P/H scored to tie it up it looked like a huge confidence builder and they were able to maintain that confidence the rest of the way. If you count lone breakaways as "quality chances" then yes, they probably did have more quality chances than Warroad from that point on.

Not always well played, with tons of turnovers, but both teams gave it their all which made it an exciting game to watch.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

An utterly dominant show by Edina, but will have to wait and see on Andover..... I'm guessing Tonka goalie will nab Ms Goalie.

Gentry 6-0. They're waaaaaay faster than anyone else, but I'm still surprised by the amount of penalties they take. I counted eight by the end of the 2nd. They played more like a team today too.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

My skater tells me Hannah Skavnak has posted videos online where she is training with a junior hockey team in the past few days.

I guess that’s why she isn’t in the net for Andover?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

jg2112 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:09 pm My skater tells me Hannah Skavnak has posted videos online where she is training with a junior hockey team in the past few days.

I guess that’s why she isn’t in the net for Andover?
Other than being angry about not starting in their tournament games I have no clue why she couldn't wait a bit to see what develops in terms of possible playing time and potentially celebrate a championship with her teammates. Andover's starter, Sophomore Courtney Stagman, with a season long SV% of .954, looks to be fully up to the task.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

If the Hockey Hub is to be believed, Skavnak hasn't been with Andover since the end of February.

That's quick - she transferred in (as a senior?) this school year.
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

jg2112, since you appear to like to share intel from "your skater", what does she have to say about why her teammates Salscheider and Prater were missing the game vs Chisago Lakes yesterday?
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Win or lose all the credit to Proctor. I don't know how they do it?! They can't even get the puck outta there own end. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite that tilted in a final. 2-2 in 2nd OT.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Proctor did win. They were undefeated ironically. Funny how for as much territorially they get dominated they really don't give up many quality chances. They had 31 blocks.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:51 pm Proctor did win. They were undefeated ironically. Funny how for as much territorially they get dominated they really don't give up many quality chances. They had 31 blocks.
That triangle set-up and bullet slapshot by Watkins was awesome. Glad the game winner wasn't a fluke. Would've put a huge damper on an otherwise great game.
Getitright

Post by Getitright »

There was some banter in the “seedlings” topic that proctor/Hermantown had played nobody and did not deserve a top 3 seed.
If you win all the games on your schedule you’ve done all you can. They clearly proved to be at the level of the 1 & 2 seeds and clearly better than the 4 seed.
As was agreed on at the end of that blog, “it will all shake out in the end”. They won. Under the radar is often a good thing.
Gentry likely wins a series with them. However, I don’t see this as a game of gentry domination. I see it as one where they threw the puck around the perimeter a lot but had trouble penetrating the high end scoring areas. Scoring chances were close . In the end a high end shooter got an opportunity and ended it. Congrats mirage on an undefeated season. Nobody can now argue you didn’t play anyone after those final two wins.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Getitright wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:18 pm There was some banter in the “seedlings” topic that proctor/Hermantown had played nobody and did not deserve a top 3 seed.
If you win all the games on your schedule you’ve done all you can. They clearly proved to be at the level of the 1 & 2 seeds and clearly better than the 4 seed.
As was agreed on at the end of that blog, “it will all shake out in the end”. They won. Under the radar is often a good thing.
Gentry likely wins a series with them. However, I don’t see this as a game of gentry domination. I see it as one where they threw the puck around the perimeter a lot but had trouble penetrating the high end scoring areas. Scoring chances were close . In the end a high end shooter got an opportunity and ended it. Congrats mirage on an undefeated season. Nobody can now argue you didn’t play anyone after those final two wins.
They have a fantastic box D but weirdly two feet from the blue line can't get it out. As the game went along they did get stronger and created more offense for themselves. During the penalty kill it wasn't any real surprise they didn't get it out the entire possession but didn't allow much either LOL. I think it was smart to solo rush the puck because passes on tape would often fall off.