Centennial - COVID Victim

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Eagles93

Centennial - COVID Victim

Post by Eagles93 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:53 pm

Centennial is out due to a positive COVID test on the team. They aren't the first team to fall victim to COVID this playoff season but this one really makes me feel bad, just 3 days before the tourney starts.

According to this Tweet, Edina gets a bye in round 1:

https://twitter.com/David_LaVaque/statu ... 5352001539

j4241

Re: Centennial - COVID Victim

Post by j4241 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:23 pm

I hope they let maple grove fill in. Seems silly not to let the next one up enjoy the experience.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:27 pm

I feel horribly for them, this is terrible.

Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:27 pm

Agreed, Maple Grove should go. I wonder if Centennial is considering sending their JV? It would be a bloodbath against Edina, but great experience for those girls.

Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:32 pm

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:59 pm

Eagles93 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:27 pm
Agreed, Maple Grove should go. I wonder if Centennial is considering sending their JV? It would be a bloodbath against Edina, but great experience for those girls.
NO. Our JV team only has 9 skaters and 1 goalie left due to section call-ups. There are people unhappy on another string about Andover having to play a first round section game against Princeton. This would be twice as bad, and no, not a great experience.

IMO, a 2nd place section team should not be allowed into the state tournament unless the 1st place team was found in serious violation of a MSHSL rule. Is this case, Centennial beat Maple Grove fair and square. A pandemic removed Centennial from the tournament, and for them to see Maple Grove take their place would be awful.
Last edited by Lace'emUp on Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:15 pm

Understood about the JV numbers. I doubt it would be worse than Princeton, however, at least if they had a full JV squad.

As for Maple Grove, that seems spiteful. It's not happening so really no point in discussing it but if I were in their shoes, I'd want Maple Grove to take the spot and root for them to do well.

jdh

Post by jdh » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:27 am

The right thing to do is have MG take Centennials place, but knowing the High School League, it won’t happen. Nobody ever accused them of being smart.

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:28 am

This claim could be utter nonsense, but one reply on Twitter to announcing this by John Milea (sp?) claimed Edina covered up 2 positive tests during sections. I don't know how anyone could know that without it actually having an impact on their situation.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:56 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:28 am
This claim could be utter nonsense, but one reply on Twitter to announcing this by John Milea (sp?) claimed Edina covered up 2 positive tests during sections. I don't know how anyone could know that without it actually having an impact on their situation.
I'd love to hear why the HSL doesn't / didn't mandate COVID testing for players for the postseason. It's free, it's quick, and had this policy been in place, Centennial could have tested Sunday, quarantined the positive player, and the rest of the team could play on Saturday.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:43 am

jg2112 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:56 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:28 am
I'd love to hear why the HSL doesn't / didn't mandate COVID testing for players for the postseason. It's free, it's quick, and had this policy been in place, Centennial could have tested Sunday, quarantined the positive player, and the rest of the team could play on Saturday.
That would make too much sense. NCAA does it all the way down to the D3 level. Several local D3 hockey and basketball teams were shutdown several times over the winter due to positives. If the MSHSL were to test all the state tournament teams today (but they won't), I'm willing to bet a lot of money that half the teams have at least one positive. And since they follow the MDH guidelines, they are then shutdown for 7-10 days, just like the other schools that reported positives this year. It's just the nature of the bug and that most are back to school now, or partially. But if the MSHSL did this, they would have to shutdown the tournament, and they cannot have that. Their schedule and timing is more important than testing. I dare the MSHSL do to this, but they won't.

jdh

Post by jdh » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:09 pm

j4241 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:23 pm
I hope they let maple grove fill in. Seems silly not to let the next one up enjoy the experience.
Knowing how the MSHSL operates it won’t happen. Total idiots.

jdh

Post by jdh » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:13 am

Lace'emUp wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:59 pm
Eagles93 wrote:
NO. Our JV team only has 9 skaters and 1 goalie left due to section call-ups. There are people unhappy on another string about Andover having to play a first round section game against Princeton. This would be twice as bad, and no, not a great experience.

IMO, a 2nd place section team should not be allowed into the state tournament unless the 1st place team was found in serious violation of a MSHSL rule. Is this case, Centennial beat Maple Grove fair and square. A pandemic removed Centennial from the tournament, and for them to see Maple Grove take their place would be awful.
Why the hell would it be awful? If I were a Centennial kid I’d be happy as hell for them. Beating them “fair and square” has nothing to do with it. It’s a better solution than just giving Edina a free pass to the semis.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:39 am

jdh wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:13 am
Lace'emUp wrote:
Eagles93 wrote:

Why the hell would it be awful? If I were a Centennial kid I’d be happy as hell for them. Beating them “fair and square” has nothing to do with it. It’s a better solution than just giving Edina a free pass to the semis.
I guess I'm missing something here.

Is there some reason the rest of the Centennial program can't get COVID tests today, show they're COVID negative, and play tomorrow? This is what every other sports team on the planet has been doing the past 12 months. Get a COVID test, isolate the positive tests, confirm the negatives, and play the games.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:05 am

jdh wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:
Eagles93 wrote:

Just my opinion. Go as them yourself. Maybe my opinion is not their opinion.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:15 am

jg2112 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:39 am
jdh wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:

I guess I'm missing something here.

Is there some reason the rest of the Centennial program can't get COVID tests today, show they're COVID negative, and play tomorrow? This is what every other sports team on the planet has been doing the past 12 months. Get a COVID test, isolate the positive tests, confirm the negatives, and play the games.
MDH rules. If this player was Zach Parise, and we were in the NHL, we would playing tomorrow. I suppose MDH believes that from the time of the first positive, everyone would be "incubated". MDH believes this can be up to 7 days (I could be off by a day). Thus, if any of them take a test during this time, it could show as negative, but still a "spreader" since they are asymptomatic and in the incubation period. But on that "magic" day #8 (or whatever it is), they could show positive. This would fall within the game period. One solution would be to move the game to a day or two before the semis. That might put them out of MDH's danger zone. Play the game at Edina or anywhere. There's a lot of empty rinks in the state right now. Like I said above, if you test every team right now, there would be positives (MSHSL is covering their eyes and ears right now).

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:05 am

Has it become more a matter of Don't ask, don't tell at this point with covid?
I can splash in the rink puddles!

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:39 am

Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:05 am
Exactly. In Centennial's case, it would've been hard to avoid. I cannot talk about specifics, but there was little way around the situation. The funny part of about this illogical schedule the MSHSL has set up, is that if they kept the tournament to a 3-day run, there would be very little chance someone or a team would have to deal with the pitfalls of Covid (for the remaining teams). With a 5-day break after round one, it leaves the door wide open for another team to have an unfortunate situation.

jdh

Post by jdh » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:35 am

Lace'emUp wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:39 am
Nostalgic Nerd wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:05 am
Exactly. In Centennial's case, it would've been hard to avoid. I cannot talk about specifics, but there was little way around the situation. The funny part of about this illogical schedule the MSHSL has set up, is that if they kept the tournament to a 3-day run, there would be very little chance someone or a team would have to deal with the pitfalls of Covid (for the remaining teams). With a 5-day break after round one, it leaves the door wide open for another team to have an unfortunate situation.
Good point. Five days is too much time for more cases to come up. It should have been run like in the past. Also, there should been a rule in place for a section runner up to replace any team DQd by Covid. Piss poor planning by the League.