Johnny Pohl quote from last night...

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

j4241

Johnny Pohl quote from last night...

Post by j4241 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:08 pm

“As soon as you become a role player, it’s over.”

Edina is a very good hockey team, but it’s amazing how many D1 commits/prospects have become role players for them. Is it her coaching? Kids who aren’t as talented as they once looked? Or kids just mailing it in once they get committed? Conundrum.

InThePipes

Re: Johnny Pohl quote from last night...

Post by InThePipes » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:27 am

j4241 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:08 pm

Edina is a very good hockey team, but it’s amazing how many D1 commits/prospects have become role players for them. Is it her coaching? Kids who aren’t as talented as they once looked? Or kids just mailing it in once they get committed? Conundrum.
I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but that was a great quote.

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:39 am

j4241 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:08 pm

Well of course it's her coaching! She's been in four straight finals.
I can splash in the rink puddles!

j4241

Post by j4241 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:42 am

I think she’s an exceptional coach in terms of crafting winning teams (although the degree of difficulty isn’t very high with the roster she’s given). That said, it’s possible to be a coach that wins but also coaches creativity and risk taking out of kids which can take them away from individual progress and success. Or coaching the offense through a small number of kids so others become role players. I am not saying I believe that to be true about her in general. Her top lines are generally creative and scoring at a high level, but it is consistent with the contributions from the rest of the roster this year.

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:29 pm

j4241 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:42 am
I think she’s an exceptional coach in terms of crafting winning teams (although the degree of difficulty isn’t very high with the roster she’s given). That said, it’s possible to be a coach that wins but also coaches creativity and risk taking out of kids which can take them away from individual progress and success. Or coaching the offense through a small number of kids so others become role players. I am not saying I believe that to be true about her in general. Her top lines are generally creative and scoring at a high level, but it is consistent with the contributions from the rest of the roster this year.
Edina didn't even win a title for the first 20 years of existence. She took them above being a tournament team.
I can splash in the rink puddles!

j4241

Post by j4241 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:56 pm

The year before she arrived Edina lost in the state semis 1-0 to eventual champion Eden Prairie, outshooting them 25-20, with their top scorers all sophomores, juniors and freshman. A remarkable turnaround to win it the following year.

But again, I think she’s a great coach, I was just observing that more than a few of her committed kids seem unpromising in terms of next-level potential.