Preseason Rankings AA

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

moosepaw

Preseason Rankings AA

Post by moosepaw » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:19 am

Minnetonka
Holy Family
Edina
Lake South
Stillwater
Hill Murray
Andover
Blake
Apple Valley
Gentry

j4241

Re: Preseason Rankings AA

Post by j4241 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:29 am

My thoughts (expanding on my elite-league centered take):

Minnetonka (super team too strong at the top and too deep. already leading in a few categories including team most cheered against and bull-dozeriest parents. only risk to undefeated season is in their own locker room)
Edina (down a lot offensively from last year, but very deep, and outstanding 1D and G)
Holy Family (big pick-up from the JV team to complement everyone else coming back - history of poor penalty discipline. if they avoid penalty issues, capable of beating Tonka in a section final)
Andover (losses as big as anyones from last year, but a junior top line that will be top notch and an endless sea of good young players)
Gentry (one of the section 4 contenders - top 4 D as good as anyone's in Minnesota. some losses up front - can they score enough to beat top teams?)
Blake (may have the best top 5 in Minnesota, and experienced goaltending, but questions about depth. is this the group that can climb Mt. Edina in section 6?)
Hill Murray (some key losses, but two excellent D and an outstanding young goaltender - certainly capable of coming out of the section 4 trio)
BSM (lost an outstanding goaltender and three of their 4 top D, but a veteran top line returns and one of the best D in MN - tough for any team to beat)
Stillwater (young team - a large and talented sophomore class - fighting to return to state through the section 4 gauntlet)
Lakeville South (top senior line that is outstanding - but very little experience after them - is that enough? Cupcake all southern schedule - they could be 25-0 going into post-season if they can beat Apple Valley and Burnsville, but unclear if they can contend)

Others under consideration:
Centennial, Maple Grove, Wayzata, Elk River, Burnsville, Apple Valley

girlshockey4ever

Post by girlshockey4ever » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:48 pm

Interesting take on the rankings. I agree with most of it. Eastview also has a good bit of scoring coming back and will be well coached by a seasoned Herb Harvey. I find it interesting that top teams are often accused of having crazy parents. (They do, ref. Lakeville South, Duluth East) But i don't think it's exclusive to the high end programs. I think the middle of the road teams can have insane parents as well. Parents that believe their program should be great because they were very successful at U-12. What they fail to realize is that they are successful because they were bigger stronger faster. Then when they get to high school and haven't developed skills while everyone else has caught up in size they are furious. Just a hot take from the South Suburban.

Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:17 pm

It is curious to me why the guy who recruited and built the Andover dynasty would leave for Tonka? Especially when his daughter is already committed to the Gophers?

Just seems weird but maybe there is a good reason?

j4241

Post by j4241 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:01 am

Funny how your post word for word would have worked with Breck in place of Andover… not sure what either situation says.

Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:11 am

j4241 wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:01 am
Funny how your post word for word would have worked with Breck in place of Andover… not sure what either situation says.
That is a great point. I can see Breck a little as that program has seemed to dipped here plus a move from A to AA for the player. But still very interesting that both have moved to Tonka.

Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:28 pm

Gotothenetman wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:11 am
j4241 wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:01 am
That is a great point. I can see Breck a little as that program has seemed to dipped here plus a move from A to AA for the player. But still very interesting that both have moved to Tonka.
Well I guess maybe should have stayed in Andover and Breck