Week 7

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

j4241

Week 7

Post by j4241 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:25 am

Things are heating-up, and this week should start to provide more clarity - some good games:

Monday

Breck/Chisago - need to mention this one if only because it feels almost like a requiem for an earlier era.

Tuesday

Andover/Blake - may not be close, but Blake has an offense at the top end that looks very impressive. Will be interesting to see if they can generate more chances than Elk River against the young Andover D.

Edina/Wayzata - section match-up. Edina's is a systems driven team - no real stars emerging yet - and Wayzata is a one woman show. If they stay out of the box... maybe?

Hill-Murray/Cretin - this one is intriguing to me. Hill should handle Cretin on paper, but Cretin has been a tough out.

Lakeville South/Roseville - another upset opportunity for upstart Roseville. After this, Lakeville South's cupcake jamboree continues until the showdown with Rosemount.

Blaine/Rosemount - can Hansen curtail Tuttle? Did she save anything in the bank after her 8 point outburst?

Northfield/Maple Grove - two good teams looking for respect. Northfield hung with Rosemount - can they with MG? Can MG build on its rebound after getting handled by Gentry?

Eden Prairie/Benilde - Benilde hoping to get back to .500 - EP looking for more than moral victories.

Wednesday

Mound/New Ulm - undefeated New Ulm comes to the Metro (outskirts) for one of its few tests. Can they handle Leonard and crew?

Thursday

Blake/BSM - another section 6 grudgematch - with Wayzata beating BSM already, can Blake push for contention for the 2 seed? And how will their Tuesday opponents affect things - BSM confident/sluggish after EP? Blake buzzing/shell-shocked after pace of Andover?

Hill-Murray/Centennial - can Centennial regroup after getting handled by Rogers? How will Hill's test against Cretin prepare them for Centennial?

Lace'emUp

Re: Week 7

Post by Lace'emUp » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:31 am

j4241 wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:25 am
Things are heating-up, and this week should start to provide more clarity - some good games:

Monday

Breck/Chisago - need to mention this one if only because it feels almost like a requiem for an earlier era.

Tuesday

Andover/Blake - may not be close, but Blake has an offense at the top end that looks very impressive. Will be interesting to see if they can generate more chances than Elk River against the young Andover D.

Edina/Wayzata - section match-up. Edina's is a systems driven team - no real stars emerging yet - and Wayzata is a one woman show. If they stay out of the box... maybe?

Hill-Murray/Cretin - this one is intriguing to me. Hill should handle Cretin on paper, but Cretin has been a tough out.

Lakeville South/Roseville - another upset opportunity for upstart Roseville. After this, Lakeville South's cupcake jamboree continues until the showdown with Rosemount.

Blaine/Rosemount - can Hansen curtail Tuttle? Did she save anything in the bank after her 8 point outburst?

Northfield/Maple Grove - two good teams looking for respect. Northfield hung with Rosemount - can they with MG? Can MG build on its rebound after getting handled by Gentry?

Eden Prairie/Benilde - Benilde hoping to get back to .500 - EP looking for more than moral victories.

Wednesday

Mound/New Ulm - undefeated New Ulm comes to the Metro (outskirts) for one of its few tests. Can they handle Leonard and crew?

Thursday

Blake/BSM - another section 6 grudgematch - with Wayzata beating BSM already, can Blake push for contention for the 2 seed? And how will their Tuesday opponents affect things - BSM confident/sluggish after EP? Blake buzzing/shell-shocked after pace of Andover?

Hill-Murray/Centennial - can Centennial regroup after getting handled by Rogers? How will Hill's test against Cretin prepare them for Centennial?
If Centennial wants to prove anything significant against Hill Murray, they will need to fix their errors from the Rogers game and apply that to the Armstrong Cooper game on Tuesday. How they play in that game will go along way to the HM match up. Getting back to running 3 lines might be a good start.

moosepaw

Post by moosepaw » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:30 pm

Great review, looking forward to the Edina Wayzata game.

Great to hear Robert Morris will restart their team. Too bad they didn’t give that chance to IUND.

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:59 pm

I'm hearing of some girls and boys team cancelling either just the JV or both JV and varsity games due to kids being sick, etc. Is this true? I'm sure in covid times it's probably true; just don't remember this ever happening, say 5 years ago.

Sorry, this probably isn't the right spot to post this.

Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:39 pm

Rocketwrister wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:59 pm
I'm hearing of some girls and boys team cancelling either just the JV or both JV and varsity games due to kids being sick, etc. Is this true? I'm sure in covid times it's probably true; just don't remember this ever happening, say 5 years ago.

Sorry, this probably isn't the right spot to post this.
I have heard of some games being postponed with no COVID positives but some of the players are sick, so they postpone out of caution. In the old days (you know, 2019 :lol: ) if half the team came down with the flu, the players either toughed it out or they called up JV players and played the game. Now it gets postponed to another day, it's likely the new "normal" for the foreseeable future.

I just hope it isn't an issue in February/March for playoff/state tourney games.

j4241

Post by j4241 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:34 am

j4241 wrote:

Monday

Tuesday

Unexpectedly, perhaps the best game of the night was showcased by Malecha at Northfield, with a 48 save performance to cement a 1-1 tie against Maple Grove - very impressive!

At the other end, and in answer to the earlier question - yes games have been postponed for illness, including Blaine/Rosemount last night!

Breck Chisago was a snoozer with key ingredients missing for Chisago (Burgen and Winters). Sarah Peterson nevertheless with another valiant effort in the 2-1 loss.

Edina handled Wayzata the same way Hill handled Cretin - in 3-0 fashion. Not many will shut down Matthews this year, but Edina managed to (and only 4 shots registered by her in the game, and 11 by the team). Edina doesn't seem to be scoring a ton this year, but that doesn't matter when you don't get scored on. Cretin put up 27 shots on Zhang, but she was equal to them all.

Benilde and EP played a relatively close game - 4-2. Two goals by Peschel were the difference.

Andover handled Blake. Blake's top trio managed two goals, but Andover managed 6, including 3 by Andover's top trio. Andover's young D are frightening. They looked so-so in game 1 against Benilde, and VERY good against Blake. What will they look like in late February?!?

j4241

Post by j4241 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:38 pm

j4241 wrote:

Wednesday

Answer: No

j4241

Post by j4241 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:07 pm

j4241 wrote:

Blake with a statement win over a strong BSM team (albeit one slightly depleted with the absence of its #2 D). A goal on the first shift set the tone for their top line who generated a number of strong scoring chances and finished with four goals, the first time BSM has surrendered forur this year. A snipe by Hoen in the third was too little too late, as the BSM team managed to forecheck and extend shifts in the offensive zone, but continues to struggle to put the puck in the net.

Hill and Centennial have good coverage on the hub. A defensive battle - only 34 shots total - but Anderson managed to secure the victory over Groess.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:19 pm

j4241 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:07 pm
Hill and Centennial have good coverage on the hub. A defensive battle - only 34 shots total - but Anderson managed to secure the victory over Groess.
I thought the Hill / Centennial game was similar to Centennial / Rogers. You used the phrase "Rogers seemed to comfortably handle Centennial". I think Hill comfortably handled Centennial. It was similar for Blake yesterday. Unless Centennial answers the bell today against Hill again, they're probably not ready to be a top 10 team. Its somewhat surprising when comparing how well the team played in its games leading up to the Rogers match-up. During this current 3-game run, there's been numerous line changes. Players getting flipped around between 1st/2nd/3rd lines, some being moved between forward and defense. Overall, it doesn't seem to be working well.

In general, and understandably, if someone is playing well, keep playing them wherever you can fit them in. But if they're not playing well, maybe they need to watch for a period or two for motivation while someone else is given a chance on a different line (instead of shuffling everyone else around to shoe-horn in an underperformer). Plus/minus rating can sort some of that out quickly too.

For most teams, holiday tournaments don't really mean much of anything unless you're going up against a section opponent. It's a good time to try different looks, and get all your players some playing time so mom, dad, and the grandparents can watch while off of work, or in-town for the holidays. I'm guessing that Centennial will go back to their pre-Rogers line-ups after the tournament is over.

moosepaw

Post by moosepaw » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:25 pm

This week man good games. The top 10 will be vastly different than before:

1 Andover
2 Minnetonka
3 Edina
4 Holy Family
5- Centennial
6-Blake
7-Lakeville South
8-Risemount
9-Rogers
10-Maple Grove

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:02 pm

moosepaw wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:25 pm
This week man good games. The top 10 will be vastly different than before:

1 Andover
2 Minnetonka
3 Edina
4 Holy Family
5- Centennial
6-Blake
7-Lakeville South
8-Risemount
9-Rogers
10-Maple Grove
I would agree with the top 4, but then my shuffle would go:
5. Rosemount
6. Blake
7. Centennial (nice 2-0 win over Hill today; would slip further if they stumble against Stillwater tomorrow)
8. Gentry
9. Rogers
10. Lakeville South

j4241

Post by j4241 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:28 pm

Glad this thing is back online - someone put coins in the meter? I haven't been able to access for about a week.

The big news of the week is the sorting of the big three. Andover>Minnetonka>Edina - but all 1 goal games! What a pair of hockey games! Could Edina beat Andover or Tonka? I think they could - Corniea is a good enough goalie to keep them in any game. Could Tonka beat Andover? No doubt about it. Still pretty run and gun over there compared to the discipline of Andover. But very talented. Andover's young D impress more and more with every viewing. Tonka is a little bit Laker Showtime in how they play. Lot of swagger. Maybe a bit more disciplined defense would be a better formula to actually win games against top teams, though.

I think Rosemount and Lakeville South are real conundrums. They play absolute cupcake schedules - other than playing eachother, the only top ten team either has played is Rosemount vs. Gentry, in which Gentry outshot them 43-19, but must have had goaltending issues (their #2, who has not played much this year, was in net for those 5 goals on 19 shots). Are Lakeville South and Rosemount top 10? They will finish with 23-2 or 24-1 records, and both have very good players. But I don't think they warrant being high in top 10 rankings until they beat good teams. Neither will have the chance. They are both going to be very unprepared for state (and possibly sections).

Rogers may be too low in these lists - a weird, bad stumble against a mediocre Procter team, but they have good wins and VERY good losses against top teams. I would go:

Andover
Minnetonka
Edina
Holy Family
Rogers
Blake
Gentry
Centennial
LVS
Rosemount

Possible that Hill deserves 9 or 10 instead.

The biggest and most rapid rise on that list is Blake. Comfortable wins in the last week over then top 10 Benilde, Centennial and Gentry, and a 1-0 OT loss to what now appears to be the #4 team in Holy Family. Their top line is extremely dangerous - as good as any in the state - but the team has also found a way to be tough to play against and tough to score on with good team D from their supporting cast.

Holy Family's spot at that level is very dependent on Blair. They are a team made up of a lot of good players, but don't have the top end skill and scoring punch that Andover, Tonka, or Blake have. Very good week of hockey for their team though.

Finally, Centennial with a nice 2-0 win over Hill on Goodreau's two un-assisted goals. But apparently assists get handed out for... moral support?... at Centennial?

j4241

Post by j4241 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:33 am

BSM and NWC are probably just outside that top 10. Good win for BSM last night to shut them out and put up 3 on Weiser. Big showdown for them against Holy Family on Tuesday. A so-so Holy Familiy offense vs. a BSM defense that has surrendered more than two (non-EN) goals only to Blake and Andover. Could be another 0-0 game going into overtime.

j4241

Post by j4241 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:51 am

Maple Grove too. Big week for them - Rogers, Gentry and Andover - chance to jump firmly back into the top 10.

bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:48 pm

Centennial just lost 3-0 to a Stillwater team that has won once in their last 7. With this loss, the Chiefs, er Cougars, have now dropped 4 of their last 6 so I think we can safely drop them from the top ten. I realize the 2 South Suburban schools haven't played the toughest schedule but the girls don't make the schedule and can only control how they play. Lakeville South has ripped off 12 straight wins and Rosemount's ony loss is to South, in a game they led halfway through the third. I think those 2 teamls deserve a little more love.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:12 pm

j4241 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:28 pm
Finally, Centennial with a nice 2-0 win over Hill on Goodreau's two un-assisted goals. But apparently assists get handed out for... moral support?... at Centennial?
I agree with you on the first goal. I didn't see the assists, and even watched the replay when I got home. On the 2nd goal, #4 battled in the corner, then scooted the puck up the boards to Goodreau who had to work hard and fast on her own to get the EN goal. I'm guessing a lot of teams pad stats. I don't know if this is what the refs saw on the ice, what the coaches added later, or a volunteer. Any which way, I mostly agree with you.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:47 pm

bodyup88 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:48 pm
Centennial just lost 3-0 to a Stillwater team that has won once in their last 7. With this loss, the Chiefs, er Cougars, have now dropped 4 of their last 6 so I think we can safely drop them from the top ten. I realize the 2 South Suburban schools haven't played the toughest schedule but the girls don't make the schedule and can only control how they play. Lakeville South has ripped off 12 straight wins and Rosemount's ony loss is to South, in a game they led halfway through the third. I think those 2 teamls deserve a little more love.
I agree. Centennial's loss today should drop them from the top 10. It's not as much from the loss, but from how Stillwater dominated them. As I mentioned in a previous response/post, starting with the Rogers game, something seems to have systematically changed with the team play. They don't seem as structured and disciplined (slow to react, getting out worked, lots of bad passes). As noted, Rogers is a good team and give cred to them too. But it hasn't been the same since that game. Many of the line and personnel changes did not work during this tournament. Example: a couple young players moved from forward to D first time this year (one move back to fwd after the 1st game). Yes, these tournaments don't mean much, so I can understand the experimentation.

Synopsis of today's game is simple: Stillwater dominated Centennial in the 1st, it was a little more even in the 2nd, and crushed them in the 3rd. Centennial struggled to get the puck out of the zone the entire first half of the 3rd (multiple icings). I'm sure the coaches will watch the tape, see things are not working (how can they not), and move back to pre-Rogers systems and personnel.

And with that, we no longer have to discuss Centennial for awhile, until they figure things out. My revised 7-10 below:
7. Gentry
8. Rogers
9. Lakeville South
10. Maple Grove

j4241

Post by j4241 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:40 pm

Lace'emUp wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:12 pm
j4241 wrote:
I agree with you on the first goal. I didn't see the assists, and even watched the replay when I got home. On the 2nd goal, #4 battled in the corner, then scooted the puck up the boards to Goodreau who had to work hard and fast on her own to get the EN goal. I'm guessing a lot of teams pad stats. I don't know if this is what the refs saw on the ice, what the coaches added later, or a volunteer. Any which way, I mostly agree with you.
You're right it is pretty common. The truth is points are a pretty stupid way to evaluate hockey - lots of points are awarded for hockey plays that add little value, and lots of hockey plays that add TONS of value don't translate into points. I just commented because I watched that game live, and it was startling to see two points awarded on both goals. Happens at every level though.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:09 am

j4241 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:40 pm
Lace'emUp wrote:
j4241 wrote:
You're right it is pretty common. The truth is points are a pretty stupid way to evaluate hockey - lots of points are awarded for hockey plays that add little value, and lots of hockey plays that add TONS of value don't translate into points. I just commented because I watched that game live, and it was startling to see two points awarded on both goals. Happens at every level though.
Maybe the Warroad statistician has been hired by Centennial......

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:06 am

jg2112 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:09 am
j4241 wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:40 pm
Lace'emUp wrote:

Maybe the Warroad statistician has been hired by Centennial......
Yeah, I see what you mean regarding Warroad. To Centennial's credit, they did reverse the apples given on that first goal (revised to unassisted). Someone must be reviewing forum posts :D