Andover vs Warroad

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

slowD

Andover vs Warroad

Post by slowD » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:16 am

What are the takes on the Andover/Warroad game? After watching I am convinced Andover’s D corp is the best group in the state. They are physical and take away the hands first. They are always moving their sticks and they play disciplined, smart hockey. I thought Warroad did a good job of matching up. Warroad has no slouch of a D group either. They play smart hockey and don’t make a lot of mistakes either. They play great team defense as a whole. Both goalies are solid. I find it interesting that Stagman isn’t committed yet. Overall great hockey game. Fast and physical. Fun game to watch.

Iceburg

Re: Andover vs Warroad

Post by Iceburg » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:32 am

I thought Stagman was a Mankato recruit. I definitely could be wrong.

I went yesterday, thought it was kind of a sloppy game. Not many pretty plays, but as you say defenses were tough both ways and had a lot to do with that. When you factor in Andover’s youth on the back end it becomes doubly impressive. The goal by Warroad’s Kate Johnson was a goal scorers goal. I thought Warroad’s team “D” was very impressive especially considering they don’t seem to be a team with a lot of physical strength.

Iceburg

Post by Iceburg » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:51 am

Skavnek, yes, that is who I was thinking of :oops: Too many facts in my smallish brain

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:33 am

Iceburg wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:51 am
Skavnek, yes, that is who I was thinking of :oops: Too many facts in my smallish brain
Five goalies at Mankato (one was the emergency goalie who played HS hockey and is on the Mankato tennis team) and she is not one of them. I wonder if she is deferring her enrollment for a year.

And this probably helps to answer why Stagman might not be committed at this point. There are too many players on college rosters. The Gophers have 25 (4 goalies), that's after Shearen and T. Jungels left mid-season, and doesn't count Murphy and G. Zumwinkle who will or could return next year, respectively. Harvard has 32 skaters (5 goalies). UMD has 26.

The extra COVID year, the Olympic year and transfers will massively effect college rosters until the skaters on campus in 2020-21 have exhausted their eligibility.