Scoring by top Juniors

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

j4241

Scoring by top Juniors

Post by j4241 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:58 pm

As promised, this is a similar analysis for the junior ('23) class. This is a much longer list, as I started with a list of kids I was familiar with that I knew played stronger schedules, included some others based on reputation (including a few who did not play strong schedules) and added a few others as I went through the exercise. No slight intended if I left anyone off the list (let me know a name and I'd be happy to add them).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I sorted the list by points per game vs top 10 teams and bolded the top 5 point per game totals in each category. The number next to a players name is their overall strength of schedule according to PageStat (as of 2/5).

Again, points aren't everything in evaluating a hockey player, and they certainly aren't everything in evaluating a person. Points are a particularly funny way to look at D, but also at centers - some forwards high on this list play center and in my opinion are not great defensively, and others are lower and fantastic defensively. But for better or worse a lot of attention is paid to points by people that follow the game, and if you're going to look at points, this was intended to make it easier to look at something more meaningful than simple totals.

I plan to do the same for the '24 class, too.
Last edited by j4241 on Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

j4241

Re: Scoring by top Juniors

Post by j4241 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:42 pm

Made a couple tweaks - including adding one player and separating the D out from forwards.

j4241

Re: Scoring by top Juniors

Post by j4241 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:20 pm

These are small sample sizes (and again, points aren't everything), BUT... Juniors had pretty strong seasons broken out this way, including compared to the Ms. Hockey semifinalists:

- 10 juniors at or above 1ppg vs top 10 teams (6 of those 8 did it over 8 or more games - so not that small of samples) - only 5 of 10 semifinalists did (and 2 of those in only 3 games)
- 7 juniors at or above 2ppg vs the next tier of opponent - only 3 of 10 semifinalists did (2 of those in only 2 games)
- 6 juniors at or above 3ppg vs 21-114 - only 2 semifinalists
- 5 juniors in both of the first two categories (>1ppg vs top 10 AND >=2ppg vs 11-20 - and those 5 did it in 11, 12, 15, 17 and 17 total games) - only 2 semifinalists (Tuttle in 5 total games and Matthews in 15)
- 3 juniors in all three categories - only Matthews was among the semifinalists

AGAIN! Points aren't everything, and these are small samples sizes - great players on and off these lists and in and out of these categories. But I still think the above points are informative in helping assess top players in Minnesota, and MUCH more informative than simple point totals.