All state selections

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

j4241

All state selections

Post by j4241 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:30 pm

All state selections are out, and there are some interesting choices:

https://www.stateofhockey.com/news_arti ... f-the-year

I added color coding to the players on the scoring sheet to let you peruse and decide for yourself if the selections were well made (and also added the players that were selected and not in the original spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

For the forwards, there are now two pages - one sorted by ppg vs top 10 teams (as originally), and another that I added after that one sorted by scoring vs 21-114 (since many kids played weaker schedules, this puts everyone on a somewhat more even footing, and doesn't unfairly exclude kids who played no or few top 10 teams).

I didn't duplicate the D page in the same way, but I did color code theirs, as well. There are a number of D who had very modest point totals, which seems reasonable - goals and assists are not the best way to evaluate D.

In terms of kids with outstanding seasons who were not honored - in the first sorting, Morrison, Brown, Moran and Higuchi stand out as AA players having had ppg performances vs top opponents better than most of those honored (Blake and Rogers also stand out as the only teams in the top 15 in AA with no one honored). In single A, Garton from Holy Angels stands out. In the second, Bond, Morrison, Munoz and Puppe in AA (with all but Morrison playing particularly easy 21-114 schedules), and Bowlby, Moran and Broz close behind and having played a stronger mix than those other three. Garton and Fairchild (from Proctor) would be the top A left off the list.

In terms of kids honored who maybe shouldn't have - I don't want to name names - you can see for yourself.

My observations are that there are a number of players with objectively better seasons than some selections - in some cases by a quite large margin. Some of those inferior seasons being honored are probably explained by a combination of reputation by college association, reputation by USA hockey success, and reputation by past state tournament success. I'm not sure if any of those should be factors, though. Seems like all state should be the kids who played the best this year, not the best known ones.

EDIT: And sorry - still no goalie data.

MNHockeyFan

Re: All state selections

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:11 am

j4241 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:30 pm
All state selections are out, and there are some interesting choices:

https://www.stateofhockey.com/news_arti ... f-the-year
Just one question: With such a long list of All State and Honorable Mention player selections that were so honored, how is it that only one (very much) deserving BSM player (Emma Peschel) was selected even though the team fared extremely well (20-6-2) while playing a difficult schedule? I suppose such a dichotomy can only be due to coaching, meaning head coaches Kelly Pannek and Kevin Gray, along with their support staff, did a superlative job coaching good, but not "great", talent to work with. :roll:

j4241

Re: All state selections

Post by j4241 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:35 am

Lots of comparisons like that. Section 6 - strongest in the state by consensus - had four selections across all teams (2 Edina, 1 BSM, 1 Wayzata, 0 Blake), while 7 loss Tonka had 5, Gentry had 3, Hill Murray had 3, Burnsville had 2. Here are the wins that jumped out at me by teams with fewer honorees than their opponent:

- BSM (1) beat Gentry (3), and beat (and tied) Hill-Murray (3).
- Wayzata (1) beat Tonka (5), Maple Grove (2) and Hill Murray (3).
- Blake (0) beat Gentry (3), Burnsville (2), BSM (1), Centennial (1), NWC (1) and, while Blake was shorthanded, Stillwater (1).
- Edina (2) beat Tonka (5) twice.
- NWC (1) beat Tonka (5).
- And Andover (2) beat Gentry (3) and was 3-0 vs Tonka (5)!

Andover and Blake seem more underappreciated by these selections than BSM, (because Andover's level of excellence was so high compared with only one more than BSM, and Blake wasn't as good as BSM - though they were 1-1 - but was more top heavy). But I agree you can make a strong case BSM should have had another.

EDIT: updated to reflect Hill with 3 (vs the 2 originally shown).