Recruiting 22,23 and 24 class.

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

moosepaw

Recruiting 22,23 and 24 class.

Post by moosepaw » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:13 am

Was at the Senior Classic this weekend several of the 22 are in contact with D1, wondering if anybody else has heard anything?

24 are now up and with the transfer portal in its second year and as well as the 5th year exemption will there be 30 kids committed in the 24 class or less/more?

Seems like most colleges are trying to keep almost all their seniors.

j4241

Re: Recruiting 22,23 and 24 class.

Post by j4241 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:33 am

The 24 class is stage two of navigating this new recruiting landscape. The 23 class has some very talented kids still available. Any 24 hoping to play D1 hockey has to consider not just their own peer group as competition, but also kids like Broz, Goettl, Leonard, Limke, Wurm and others at forward, along with Hankinson, Wethington, Valentini and others at D. I personally don’t think you get very deep in the 24 class (at all) before at least some of those look like much better options.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:17 am

moosepaw wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:13 am
Was at the Senior Classic this weekend several of the 22 are in contact with D1, wondering if anybody else has heard anything?
Seems late for the 22's trying to find a D1 home, but if a school is losing a player to the portal, then I can see spots opening up.
moosepaw wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:13 am
Seems like most colleges are trying to keep almost all their seniors.
I think many school would welcome back their seniors, but at what cost to the seniors? Only so much scholarship money to go around. Fall sports are easier since players only have to come back for the fall semester. For winter sports, you have a full year (unless they drop classes prior to deadlines). For 3rd or 4th line seniors, they might have to pay their own way. Then again, they are probably not getting a lot of $$$ (if any) in the first place.

PhunnsieMcHockeyDad

Post by PhunnsieMcHockeyDad » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:44 am

My daughter (forward) was informed last week by Holy Cross that they had filled their 2023 Class. I suspect they may have been letting her down gently as she's not a strong D1 prospect but maybe they're really full?

If that's the case with (and other schools), I wonder if some of the girls mentioned above have committed but are keeping it under wraps.

I know that seems odd in the high exposure world we live in, but I'm shocked some of them (Limke, Broz, Goettl (who I hear may be in with an Ivy)), aren't locked in.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:42 pm

@Phunnsie I sent you a DM thru this board.

All others with girls hoping to play in college...if you do not subscribe to this email list or blog or whatever it is you should. By far the most informative source of womens college hockey news and insights. Check it out.

https://womenscollegehockey.org/blog/

My kid is a HS class of 2020 playing D1 in the NE and was recruited by many of the NESCAC's in her process. She was only interested in playing womens hockey at a HA (high academic) school so that is primarily the area we know best in the NE. We visited 15+ different campuses out there in her process over the years. If you have any questions about that process feel free to connect with via DM or post things here. I will try to give insight where I can as I know that this process was difficult for my daughter PRE-COVID and is significantly more difficult for D1 now.