Youth Tryouts/Numbers/Teams/Etc.

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ghshockeyfan

Youth Tryouts/Numbers/Teams/Etc.

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Curious as to the state/situaiton of other youth programs out there...<br><br>Anyone w/knowledge could maybe help give some insight about other programs. Any thoughts on any of this would be great...<br><br>When are you holding your youth tryouts (Pre or Post MEA/etc.)?<br><br>What kind of numbers program wide and/or at which specific age classifications?<br><br>What teams will your associaiton be fielding?<br><br>Is your association fielding girls only mites/U8/etc.? Or are the beginner/youngest girls skating with the boys?<br> <p></p><i></i>
elliott70

Re: Youth Tryouts/Numbers/Teams/Etc.

Post by elliott70 »

District 16, for the most part, start after deer season (at least opening weekend). Although some will have tryouts or clinics starting a little earlier. Bemidji, I believe, will have tryouts starting around Oct 25.<br><br>Girls skate with the boys at the young age for the most part.<br><br>We have 7 10U programs - Bemidji, Crookston, TRF, EGF, Roseau, Warroad & LOW. These programs may include some mite age girls.<br><br>ttt <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... liott70</A> at: 11/3/05 6:41 pm<br></i>
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

THANKS for the info.!<br><br>Just heard that in D8 we have 8 U10A, 8 U12A, and 8 U14A teams.<br><br>Some big numbers for Lakeville and Park of CG as expected I guess.<br><br>Park - 10 teams:<br>3 U8<br>2 U10B<br>1 U10A<br>1 U12B<br>1 U12A<br>1 U14B<br>1 U14A<br><br>Amazing... I assume these are Edina like youth numbers for girls... <p></p><i></i>
hockeyfinatic

Post by hockeyfinatic »

New Prague<br>U14A<br>U10A<br>U12B<br>All Girls Mite <p></p><i></i>
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

correction on New Prague<br>no 12U team this year. they have two 10U teams, A and B<br>Any girls eligible for 12U are playing 14U, basically, the whole 12UB state champion team moved up to 14UA <p></p><i></i>
hihockey

Post by hihockey »

Our U12 and U14 tryouts are done. Teams started practicing already. The U10s do not finish until just before MEA. They will start practicing then. We will have a U10A, U10B, U12A, U12B, U14A, and U14B. Our U12s and U14s are a coop with neighboring associations. We should have a couple of U8 teams.<br><br>Edina is much bigger than Park/CG. They have 3 U12B teams, one each of 12A, 14A, 14B, not sure how many U10 or mite yet.<br><br>Still see a handful of girls playing squirts in our association. They play coed mites and continue on with the Squirts. About the same number every year. They switch to U12 rather than play PW.<br><br>The hardest part of the U14s trying out so early is that the HS tryouts are a month later. Now we have to wait a month to see if any of the U14s will leave and go HS. It would be better if the tryouts were after the HS program.<br><br>Why not have U14 programs start in October as practice/clinic only, with all U14 eligible invited. Then wait until the HS does tryouts and make the U14 teams after that. Start the games for U14 later than the rest, closer to December, more like JR Gold. They still get ice time similar to Bantams teams, but they just hold off on games. <p></p><i></i>
IGiveBlood

Post by IGiveBlood »

Edina youth numbers:<br>7 U8 Girls<br>3 U10B (expect this to go to 4 next year)<br>1 U10A<br>3 U12B<br>1 U12A<br>1U14B (expect this to go to 2 next year)<br>1U14A<br>1U19<br>plus High School Varsity/JV teams<br><br>There are a number of reasons for these numbers but the most important one is the amount of work the EHA volunteers do to constantly let the families in their community know about this opportunity for their daughters, getting good coaches and making sure that it is fun for the players. <p></p><i></i>
OnFrozenPond

Post by OnFrozenPond »

EP Youth Numbers:<br><br>3 - U8 (I am pretty sure this is right, but it could be +/- 1)<br>1 - U10B<br>1 - U10A (3 girls playing in the Squirt Program)<br>1 - U12B<br>1 - U12A (0 girls playing in the PeeWee Program)<br>1 - U14A (1 girl plaiying in the Bantam Program)<br>1 - U19 (Includes girls from other Associations)<br><br>There are several girls that are playing in the mite program, however I don't know the exact number. <p></p><i></i>
hihockey

Post by hihockey »

Edina has two U14B teams - as of today. <br><br>Minnetonka has two U14A teams and no U14B. I find that interesting.<br><br>Here is the D6 lineup - with U14B being a combined league with D4 and District 8<br><br>U14A - Minnetonka White, Minnetonka Blue, Edina, AV/Eastview, Eden Prairie, Chaska/Prior Lake/Waconia<br><br>U14B - Albert Lea, New Ulm, Cottage Grove, Edina White, Edina Green, Owatonna, Chaska/Prior Lake/Waconia, Kennedy, Burnsville <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... ihockey</A> at: 10/10/05 10:09 pm<br></i>
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Just wanted to thank everyone for posting the youth info. I sat in on my first full youth board meeting last night, and it was an interesting experience. I have new respect for the volunteers involved at this level. I went to recommend a waiver for one of my youth players to rival SSP as they had a group that seemed to be a better fit for one of the youngest/smallest players in our youth ranks. It was nice to see this waiver granted once the rationale was presented. It was also nice to see a youth hockey board that cared enough to ask questions and care about the state of their girls program.<br><br>My coaching staff has cut the teams for our youth just recently, and we've had players/coaches at every youth event so far. I haven't historically been this involved, always somewhat, but not to this degree. Obviously that will change a bit once we have HS event conflicts, but we believe it's important to have continuous contact and be supportive of/mentor the youth teams/coaches/players. We have a female coach that's new to our program at the 12B level Kyleen (Puffer) Stevens, and I'm really excited about working with her as are the kids from what I can tell. I also expect that our 12A program will be highly sucessful this season, but I can't be too certain as I don't know the youth ranks/levels as well as I should.<br><br>My next big goal is to see what level of success we've had in recruiting mites/mini-mites. Because we are a smaller community, I have to start by looking at the percentage of girls players we have at these levels relative to the entire group of boys and girls, and I'd like to compare this to other programs in the area. I know I can't necissarily compare the number of kids, as I don't have the population base of many surrounding larger communities - but I think that to start I want to see what success rate (finding girls I mean) we have when we go out to the elementary schools and recruit at the mite levels.<br><br>So, if anyone has any idea what PERCENTAGE (even roughly) of their mite/U8 are girls, I'd appreciate that data. It will help me start to evaluate if our efforts are on par with others as far as getting girls out.<br><br>My hope too is to get out to skate with our mites too with some of the HS players and my coaches as we don't currently have a girls only U8/mite - that's a long-term goal that may be a year off here in IGH...<br><br>Also curious what the take is on the creating of some mite teams that are stronger (A/B/C) to play outside communities. I have some philosophical issues with some of this at such a young age, but I also don't understand the issue entirely yet... I wonder what MN & USA H stance is on this, and if this is a pilot/trial program, etc... <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... ckeyfan</A> at: 10/11/05 7:56 am<br></i>
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

I should also mention that I received some good news about the Kennedy program today, in that they will be fielding a 14B team coached by Bob Bergoloff ex-NHL NorthStar, ex-Gohpher and a really nice guy and great coach from what I hear. Sounds like they may need a few more players too if anyone has any interest or is looking for a place to play. They've got ice and sounds like they are playing in a combined D6/D8/D4 league.<br><br>Also, I hear that Wayzata is looking for a U14A Goalie potentially.<br><br>If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll put you in contact...<br><br><!--EZCODE MAIL START--><a href="mailto:ghshockeyfan@hotmail.com"> ghshockeyfan@hotmail.com</a><!--EZCODE MAIL END--> <p></p><i></i>
Whatwillwork

Post by Whatwillwork »

Bloomington will field 2 U8 Teams this year, including Mite age girls playing with the boys and 1 that opted up to U-10's, there are 38 girls playing, up 11 from last year.<br><br>Also,<br><br>U10A&B<br>U12A&B<br>and as you mentioned, one U14 team. <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

These are blomington wide co-op teams correct? Just for clairification. <p></p><i></i>
Whatwillwork

Post by Whatwillwork »

Yes, Girls are both Kennedy and Jefferson kids until they get to the HS level. <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

A heck of a youth development effort has been undertaken in Bloomington, and I saw some of this even a couple years ago when I was there. The issue will always be the need for huge youth numbers to sustain 2 HS programs and surrounding privates that many in Bloomington have the capability of attending as desired. <p></p><i></i>
Whatwillwork

Post by Whatwillwork »

Check your inbox ghsfan <p></p><i></i>