Team USA Comes To Town

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

brookyone

Team USA Comes To Town

Post by brookyone »

On the off hand chance anyone isn't already aware of this...an excellent opportunity to watch women's hockey at it's highest level, and with a fair representation of former Minnesota HS hockey stars. Well worth the price of admission in my opinion.<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://wcha.collegesports.com/sports/w- ... <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p074.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... ookyone</A> at: 9/12/05 6:41 pm<br></i>
ghshockeyfan

Re: Team USA Comes To Town

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Did anyone go? If so, was there decent attendance? What was the atmosphere like??? I assume that this is a good indicator of what the Girls' State Tourney will be like at the X atmosphere wise this year... At least as far as attendance @ the X... <p></p><i></i>
brookyone

Post by brookyone »

The atmosphere was great...really much more enthusiastic and "electric" than I expected. A bigger crowd than I personally expected too. I'm not 100% sure (someone was talking in my ear when the announcement was made) but I think they announced 5739. If the girls HS tourney can get nearly 6000 per game that would be cool. Really, the place didn't have a cavernous / empty feeling at all...pretty noisy too. <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Great to hear. I hope the same will be true for the State Tourney. <p></p><i></i>
IGiveBlood

Post by IGiveBlood »

I was at the game on Friday and I agree about it not feeling like a cavern. I particularly like the fact that there will be enough space that you won't have to be sitting on top of the bands!!!! <p></p><i></i>
brookyone

Post by brookyone »

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I was at the game on Friday and I agree about it not feeling like a cavern.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Yup...but I think they'll need at least six thousand to duplicate the atmosphere at Friday's game. Does that sound realistic / attainable? <p></p><i></i>
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

What was the final of this game?<br>Something like 5 - 1 for USA over WCHA stars?<br><br>Who scored for the WCHA women? <p></p><i></i>
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Was the final USA 5 WCHA allstars 1????<br>Who scored for the WCHA women??? <p></p><i></i>
xk1

Post by xk1 »

Cole <p></p><i></i>
brookyone

Post by brookyone »

Of the UW Badgers...from Bloomington. <p></p><i></i>
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Right.<br>I saw the highlights on the second night but did not get anything on the first night. <p></p><i></i>
The machine took my quart

Post by The machine took my quart »

I wish that they would televise these games... Couldn't they replay them at 2 am on FSN or something? Same with the Gaophers women from last year. Thay had a great team and could only make a few. I wonder if we will have a team like that again? <p></p><i></i>
brookyone

Post by brookyone »

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I wonder if we will have a team like that again?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br>I wouldn't count on it anytime soon. Something I've been wondering for a number of years...when will the next Darwitz or Wendell come out of Minnesota HS hockey ? <br><br>The Friday night game at the X was televised on CSTV (College Sports Television) available thru Comcast Cable or Dish Network. I have it thru Comcast...at $4.95 a month it's a bargain IMO. Only way to see the women's NCAA Frozen Four. This Seasons FF is at Mariucci. <br><br><!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="font-size:xx-small;">CSTV may also be available thru other cable providers besides Comcast.</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--> <p></p><i></i>
husky5

Post by husky5 »

Wendell & Darwitz are freaks of nature. I don't see anyone like them in HS now. Sheer domination, speed, rink awareness, great shots, great stickhandlers, classy kids. Hope I'm wrong and someone breaks onto the scene soon, but they were the total package, both. <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Playing w/the Boys...

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Relative to the last post - with that, I hope, we can stop the madness of people believing that for a girl to be a great player she must skate with the boys in youth hockey... Those 2 may have had no other choice, as did many other young females years ago, but I think its fairly obvious that those 2 are EXTREMELY gifted - and that wasn't something that came as a result of "playing with the boys" but instead is a god given gift...<br><br>I understand that playing with boys may push a girl more in some respects, but I think that there are ways to find teams/leagues/clinics/camps/events that will do that with other girls too. may not always happen "in season" but the other 2/3 of the year it is possible. <p></p><i></i>
StirTheMix

Re: Playing w/the Boys...

Post by StirTheMix »

Sorry (agreeing with GHS but not with the previous poster) but Darwitz, Wendell & Potter (sorry to rain on the Gopher parade) and a VERY few others - they are not "freaks" of any kind. They are highly dedicated athletes with "six sigma" talent.<br><br>If you don't know what that means, they are "a very few in a million" kind of people - women or men. Think Wayne Gretzky, Lance Armstrong, Michael Jordan, etc - EXTREMELY rare - and we are priviledged to be living while they are playing. The stars had to be aligned for them to be playing together at this point in time. <p></p><i></i>
husky5

Re: Playing w/the Boys...

Post by husky5 »

Stir the mix,<br><br> I meant "freaks" as a kind word. Nothing else as have witnessed their ability firsthand and know them well. They earned everything they got. <br>GHS - The girls players of today have come a long way. Every year they get deeper and deeper in the talent pool. This not in no way to bash girls coming thru girls programs. I believe as you that girls can push girls to be better. Hopefully, in the next few years that becuase the pool of talent is getting deeper, good players playing good players will force star type player to the top. The coaching is getting better also. I just don't see the next Wendell or Darwitz coming in the next 4 years.<br>What I do see though is less of a gap between the better players and the next level. There are many players that are on the edge of being there which is a positive. I just don't see the total package, yet.<br><br>Just my opinion. <p></p><i></i>
ARM

Chance to See Darwitz and Wendell (though not playing)

Post by ARM »

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>I realize this conflicts with many HS games, but here's a chance to honor Natalie and Krissy, per a U of M release:</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br>Gopher greats Natalie Darwitz and Krissy Wendell, both instrumental in the Gophers' back-to-back national championship teams, will be honored at the Gopher women's hockey game, tomorrow night, at Ridder Arena. An on-ice ceremony will be held during the first intermission and the duo will receive their championship rings from the 2004-05 championship campaign. The Gophers swept the competition, winning the WCHA regular season, WCHA tournament and NCAA national championship last year.<br> <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Re: Chance to See Darwitz and Wendell (though not playing)

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Natalie was at the Eagan/Simley game tonight I heard??? many kids were excited about this... <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... ckeyfan</A> at: 11/17/05 11:50 pm<br></i>