Ms. Goalie 2007

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ghshockeyfan

Ms. Goalie 2007

Post by ghshockeyfan » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:53 pm

Lots of "pre-season" speculation...<br><br>As a side note - I've talked about the notion of top 10/then top 5 Ms. D, Ms. G, And Ms. F and then picking a Ms. Hockey out of the final 3 winners of the D/F/G award before... I think this would be best, as many would argue D don't get recognized enough, and also that D & G should be able to be called "Ms. Hockey" - not just F's (or D from time-to-time)...<br><br>I would say that this list below is the starting point for narrowing the list... REMEMBER THAT T-Breds AND SSM PLAYERS AREN'T ELIGIBLE...<br><br>Related info. about this class:<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://p100.ezboard.com/fmnhsfrm7.showM ... <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>G:<br>RACHEL BOWENS-RUBIN<br>KRISTIN ELLIOT<br>MELISSA GERTEN<br>ERIN MCNAMARA<br>ASHLEY NIXON - St. Cloud State<br>SAVANNAH OSBORNE<br>PAIGE THUNDER<br>LIZ WESTBERG <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... ckeyfan</A> at: 2/26/06 5:35 pm<br></i>

farmdad

Re: Ms. Goalie 2007

Post by farmdad » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:18 pm

I believe Cassie Carpenter is Class of 2008 (and an outstanding goalie)!! <br><br>I would add Katie Hirsch from AHA - she split time with Liz Westberg and had a very good year. Both are juniors.... <p></p><i></i>

ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:35 pm

Good call. <p></p><i></i>

Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:02 pm

Probably Thunder. She has the defense in front of her too. <p>"Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today." --James Dean</p><i></i>

GivinYaTheBusiness

Post by GivinYaTheBusiness » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:53 am

I'd like to see Thunder get it, but I think I'll see Nixon get it. <p></p><i></i>

boblee

Post by boblee » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:21 am

Paige Thunder is a rock in the goal. <p>Duluth East is "out of it"</p><i></i>

ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:14 pm

Nixon is the early favorite I believe. I've been very impressed with the Thunder girl though too - and there are other strong G in this class obviously. <p></p><i></i>

ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:51 pm

I would say that this list below is the starting point for narrowing the list... REMEMBER THAT T-Breds AND SSM PLAYERS AREN'T ELIGIBLE...

Related info. about this class:
http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4422

G:
RACHEL BOWENS-RUBIN
KRISTIN ELLIOT
MELISSA GERTEN
ERIN MCNAMARA
ASHLEY NIXON - St. Cloud State
SAVANNAH OSBORNE
PAIGE THUNDER
LIZ WESTBERG

boblee

Post by boblee » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:23 pm

Paige Thunder is an early favorite in my book.

Davis12D

MRS. GOALIE 2007

Post by Davis12D » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:13 pm

I THINK IT'S THUNDER'S TITLE ALL THE WAY. SHE HAS PLAYED OUTSTANDING HOCKEY ALL SUMMER, AND FROM WHAT I HEAR PLAYED VERY WELL AGAINST SOME REALLY GOOD TEAMS IN THE BURLINGTON TOURNAMENT. HOWEVER, SOME OF THESE AWARDS CAN BE AFFECTED BY THE SEASONAL SUCCESS OF HER TEAM, SO IF THE TEAM WOULD HAPPEN TO STUMBLE EARLY..............NIXON?

ghshockeyfan

Re: MRS. GOALIE 2007

Post by ghshockeyfan » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:04 pm

My $ is on Nixon, but Thunder has a good shoot too and others are also outstanding goalies. Both Nixon/Thunder are in programs known for developing some of the best goaltenders we've ever seen, and the coaching of the goaltenders in these programs is top notch.

I saw two amazing goaltenders play against each other tonight in one of the fall leagues, and my comment was that I thought it was possible that Ms. Goalie 2007 was playing against Ms. Goalie 2008. The game ended 1-0 not surprisingly in such a matchup of goaltending of this level. This was Nixon vs. Grogan. I should note there are some very good 2008 goalies too though that should make this interesting too. It's great to see so much talent in the game.

ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:22 am

ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:30 pm

http://www.abcnewspapers.com/2006/Decem ... oalie.html

Posted: 12/28/06

Blaine goaltender Ashley Nixon faced the shots and has made a case to be considered among the very best

by Tom Yelle
of the Sportsweek staff

Going into the final week of December, the numbers spoke with clarity:

•A mere 329 saves of 348 shots faced

•A 1.58 goals against average.

•A .945 save percentage.

•A running season total of four shutouts.

•A total of 614 minutes and 30 seconds played, which represented the entire elapsed time of what it took to play the season’s first 12 games — 11 decided in regulation and one decided in overtime.

In short, senior goaltender, Ashley Nixon, had an exceptional first half of Blaine’s 2006-2007 hockey season. And there is no reason to believe she was going to slow down during the second half of Blaine’s schedule.

Indeed. In spite of Blaine’s 8-4 record accrued during the November/pre-December holiday portion of the schedule, Nixon is proving to be one of the best girls’ hockey goaltenders in the state.

The listed numbers reveal so much in addition to the fact if Blaine could have scored a few more goals, the team could have been looking at a couple more wins and a couple less defeats prior to its holiday tournament appearance New Year’s weekend in Austin.

“We have some kids who are trying to emerge as goal-scorers,” said head coach Steve Guider. “We have one (sophomore forward Lauren Zrust, who had a highly respectable 21 points in the first 12 games), but we need more...”

To complement Blaine’s chief goal-preventer, Ashley Nixon.

Will play at St. Cloud State

Nixon, who just before the season opened signed a letter of intent to play Division I hockey at St. Cloud State next school year, is in her second full year as Blaine’s lead goalie and third year overall as a significant contributing member with the girls’ varsity program.

Prior to her sophomore season Nixon played boys’ hockey in the Blaine youth program, finishing that portion of her career as a regular goaltender or the Bantam A team.

She is the latest in a long line of standout individual goaltenders — in both the boys’ and girls’ hockey programs — with whom Guider (a goalie coach by trade) has worked.

On this all-star, all-state half-of-fame roster of goalies, Nixon has immediately followed present University of Minnesota sophomore goalie, Kim Hanlon — with whom she shared Blaine’s starting position three years ago. Furthermore, she was known as an up-and-coming prospect when two-time national championship-winning goalie (with the Gophers), Jody Horak was still Blaine’s main puck-stopper earlier this decade.

“Ashley has been playing very well; she always plays very well,” said Guider. “She played well last year and is playing no different this year.

“She just moves so well and rarely gets out of position. To score on her, the other team almost has to have a two-on-one situation with someone at the back door waiting for the pass. If they don’t, she gets to the puck and makes the save.”

In fact, many, if not a majority the 19 goals charged against Nixon’s record were of this type through the first 12 games. Six of the 19 came in a game against one of the state’s most-balanced and talented class AA squads, Holy Angels back on Nov. 25, and three days later four more came in a Northwest Suburban game against a very strong Centennial team — many off this two-on-one scenario.

In the 6-3 and 4-2 losses to those foes, Nixon faced a total of 82 shots on goal.

Before those two losses, she faced 46 shots fired from the sticks of the state’s No. 1-ranked class A team at the time, Blake, in a 3-2 win.

After those two losses Nixon faced another 29 in a 1-0 loss to the highly ranked Coon Rapids team in a Northwest Suburban Conference game.

Nixon on a run

Since the loss at Coon Rapids Dec. 2 and before its first holiday tournament game this week in Austin, Blaine was on an undefeated five-game run and Nixon was on a run during which she had given up just three goals despite a high number (nearly an average of 30 this season) of shots she faced.

In the week prior to Christmas Day Nixon posted a formidable 0.33 goals against average with a .986 save percentage, giving up just one goal in 70 shots on her position between the pipes.

She stopped 14 shots in a 5-1 win over Anoka, 24 shots in a 1-0 win over the North Metro Stars and 31 shots in another 1-0 win over the Proctor/Hermantown/Duluth Marshall cooperatively sponsored team.

It was the second time Nixon had posted back-to-back shutouts this season. In mid-November, following an season-opening 3-2 loss to White Bear Lake, Nixon came back to stymie Maple Grove 7-0, then Elk River during a three-day period.

“There’s no doubt that she keeps us in games and gives us a chance to win,” said Guider. “She does so even when we don’t play well in front of her defensively or are just not skating our best when we need to be skating harder.

“But that’s her consistency; that’s how she plays and there is no tougher critic of her play than herself.”

While there are plenty of big games on the schedule next month and early February, including sectional playoffs in which Nixon will get additional opportunities to show her consistency for Blaine, it is the St. Cloud State program which will benefit in the future.

Will join her sister Sammy

Nixon will join her older sister Sammy — presently a sophomore winger — on the St. Cloud State team next fall. It was decision she made about a year ago — a verbal commitment — which took her out of the recruiting picture prior to her senior season.

This was much to the dismay of numerous big-time Division I hockey coaches from throughout the country who had not seen Ashley Nixon play goalie until last June at the USA Hockey-sponsored National 17-18 Camp for girls.

During this five-day event Nixon proved to be the top goalie of her age (17- and 18-year-old) group, not yielding a goal during her first four days of play. It wasn’t until the fifth day when someone finally scored on her, but that was it for the week, one goal against!

On this subject Guider added:

“Yeah, I don’t think there were too many happy people (coaches there to recruit) when they found out they had missed out on this player.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top of Page

ABC Newspapers
4101 Coon Rapids Blvd.
Coon Rapids, MN 55433
763-421-4444
Fax 763-421-4315

Copyright ©ECM Publishers, Inc. All Rights Reserved

boblee

Post by boblee » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:31 pm

Nixon is the midseason favorite in my book

All-Star99

Post by All-Star99 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:43 am

katie archer is my favorite

hockeya1a

Does Goalie of the year have to be a senior

Post by hockeya1a » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:23 pm

If not here are a few others that have done well
Bloomingtons Hunter done an awsome job with little help
Shakopee's Hanninen another one done a good job with not a lot of help
Prior lakes Schultz been pretty solid

keepitreal

Re: Does Goalie of the year have to be a senior

Post by keepitreal » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:42 pm

hockeya1a wrote:If not here are a few others that have done well
Correct me if I'm wrong but this award (and the Ms. Hockey award) is presented by Lets Play Hockey and only seniors are eligble...

ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:48 pm

keepitreal wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but this award (and the Ms. Hockey award) is presented by Lets Play Hockey and only seniors are eligble...
Correct - you must be a Sr.

keepitreal

Post by keepitreal » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:06 pm

ghshockeyfan wrote:
keepitreal wrote:
Heh, I am approaching that status, coach...but not in a high school sense :D

ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:31 pm

keepitreal wrote:
ghshockeyfan wrote:
keepitreal wrote:
Heh, I am approaching that status, coach...but not in a high school sense :D
:lol:

Roman Legion

Post by Roman Legion » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:55 pm

The voters are college coaches and not any HS coaches or LPH people. With that said my money would be on Nixon.

ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:03 pm

Roman Legion wrote:The voters are college coaches and not any HS coaches or LPH people. With that said my money would be on Nixon.
Agreed. Read the articles in earlier posts too. I think the National level domination makes it hard to look past Nixon. She's the complete package too. I have to say that there are some other very amazing goaltenders out there (Thunder has done well out east too), who are great people too, but due to the National level domination I see Nixon as the frontrunner. She's proven it here at home in MN but also out East...

hotdog

Post by hotdog » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:04 pm

Roman Legion wrote:The voters are college coaches and not any HS coaches or LPH people. With that said my money would be on Nixon.
IMO: There has never been a more clear choice in goalie of the year! Ashley Nixon is a no brainer! When she's on there's no stopping her!

boblee

Post by boblee » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:08 pm

hotdog wrote:
IMO: There has never been a more clear choice in goalie of the year! Ashley Nixon is a no brainer! When she's on there's no stopping her!
Archer, Hunter, Schultz, Thunder can all challenge. And you said it. "When she's on there's no stopping her!" It's the same with these 4 too.

ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:10 pm

hotdog wrote:
IMHO Ellison was pretty amazing. Some would argue that she should have been considered for "Ms Hockey" even that year! Not to take anything away from the Ms Hockey candidates, but this discussion comes back to my feelings that the set-up of Ms Hockey & Ms Goalie is flawed...

We should have a top 10 & final 5 of Ms. D, Ms. F, & Ms. G, and the three winners should be considered finalists for "Ms. Hockey"... When a player had the impact that Eliison had her senior year, WOW...

I don't want to get into a discussion about "best ever" G's here, but Nixon & Ellison have to be two of the best ever, as does Alquist from SSP (set all the "fewest allowed" etc. modern records in G HS Hockey I believe for a single season, played boys HS @ SSP as a Jr between So & Sr years w/girls @ SSP, etc.), among others that I should mention too...