Jones

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mnhockeygal

Jones

Post by mnhockeygal » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:00 am

I have rto admit I underrated Chelsea Jones a little. After she single handedly beat NSP last night I have to say she is the best player in the state and deserves MS Hockey. <p></p><i></i>

hockeywild711

Jones

Post by hockeywild711 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:09 am

There alot of players deserving of the award but Chelsey Jones is the most dominating player on both ends of the ice and has the best shot in girls hockey. <p></p><i></i>

darmarules05

jones

Post by darmarules05 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:45 am

i think you all need to check out girls hockey a little more...i dont think jones is that good, definatly not the best girls hockey player in the state. and her shot is not as hard as people make of it... i have seen many more girls shots taht are harder, and when she goes to college, she will be a NO BODY! <p></p><i></i>

ghshockeyfan

Re: Jones

Post by ghshockeyfan » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:46 am

Is it possible that the play of the finalists in playoffs will have an impact on who wins the award? I don't know if these things are already decided or if they wait until the last minute to determine the winner taking post-season play into consideration as well. It would seem that all of this needs to be considered. <p></p><i></i>

brookyone

Post by brookyone » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:59 pm

i<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> think you all need to check out girls hockey a little more...i dont think jones is that good, definatly not the best girls hockey player in the state. and her shot is not as hard as people make of it... i have seen many more girls shots taht are harder, and when she goes to college, she will be a NO BODY!<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <br>I'd be interested in who those many players are with harder shots...I've watched well over 100 NCAA division I women's hockey games, with teams from all over the US and a like amount of girls HS games over the last few seasons and her shot is as hard as any I've seen in any of those games...and harder than about 98% of them. I'm also very doubtful about the "NO BODY" observation regarding her future in D-I. I'm betting and believe she'll contribute quite nicely to the Huskies fortunes. Looking at the NU recruits there are also signs Northeastern is rebuilding the once premier and historically storied program. Time will tell. It'll likely take some time with the vastly increased competitiveness of D-I hockey that's now occurring in HE, ECACHL & the WCHA. A trend I believe is bound to continue. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... ookyone</A> at: 2/19/06 1:02 pm<br></i>

HockeySkata25

JOnes

Post by HockeySkata25 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:51 pm

Chelsey is an amazing hockey people! Ive gotten a chance to play with her for a long time. She has so much natural skill and shes always had the talant ever since ive known her! She is great person on and off the ice. you are allowed to hold your own opinions, but the way you made it sound, was that she sucks and all the 95 goals she has scored is nothing. <p></p><i></i>

hubbaa

Re: JOnes

Post by hubbaa » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:01 am

her and stillwaters defining moment were against roseville. they could have packed it in as they have done so many times in the past when behind late in a game but this time it was different. they continued to play as if they actually thought they would win the game, and finally they won. this wouldn't have happened in the past. this is the game they learned how to win a tough game against a quality team. without that win i wouldn't have given them a shot at coming through the section. <br><br>they now have the confidence to beat ep. it should be a good game. <p></p><i></i>

xk1

Metro Girls Hockey Palyer of the Year

Post by xk1 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:50 pm

Stillwater's Chelsey Jones: Girls' hockey Metro Player of the Year<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.startribune.com/526/story/25 ... <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>

falcons88

Re: Metro Girls Hockey Palyer of the Year

Post by falcons88 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:33 am

congrats Chelsey. She is a warrior. Best player int the state. <p></p><i></i>

madjagfan

Re: Metro Girls Hockey Palyer of the Year

Post by madjagfan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:00 am

Congrats to Chelsey very well deserved and good call MnHockeyGal <p></p><i></i>

Hockeyjock18

JONES SUCKS!!!

Post by Hockeyjock18 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:43 pm

First off...she sucks...yeah she can score and she's strong but shes a @#%$ spaze!!!! Her team doesn't even like her! And she definatly does not deserve the ms. Hokcey award!! Like i said earlier her teams hates her cause she's not a nice person, also ms hockey is about academics, personality, ability, and community service! She only did community service because she got minors...hense the S...yea she got two minors!!! What a ms hockey right there!! <p></p><i></i>

GivinYaTheBusiness

Re:

Post by GivinYaTheBusiness » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:39 pm

First of all, great maturity. Second off, I know girls who have played on teams with her in the past, and they seem to like her just fine. Yeah, she's screwed up a couple times...but she's in high school, and high schoolers are allowed to do that. Lastly, she is a damn good hockey player, and anybody who would deny that should probably watch her play again. <p></p><i></i>

GotGame9

jones

Post by GotGame9 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:45 pm

No denying that she is a very skilled hockey player, but hockeyjock does seem to have a point about the community service, I mean kids make mistakes, its a chance to learn, but I do not think that this should be completely overlooked. Overlooking the minors would be like saying you're so good at hockey that those don't matter.It doesn't really make for a good example. <p></p><i></i>

GivinYaTheBusiness

Post by GivinYaTheBusiness » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:05 pm

I think that it should definitely be taken into account. Do I think there are better candidates for the Ms. Hockey? Quite possibly. But should this person go around bashing the young lady on a public forum for her past mistakes? No, definitely not. <p></p><i></i>

madjagfan

Post by madjagfan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:46 pm

Hockeyjock--What a sick post---That said, if you are a supporter of Christina Lee I could understand some of your frustration as she was the best I saw this season--Picking the Ms. Hockey is going to get more difficult all the time as the sport has progressed so much over the last five years and that will contunue, thankfully--I saw 4 of the five players this year in various amounts and again I will say that the best player (played end to end) was Lee. But again that's JMO--still no excuse to blast anyone--there are many, many, very deserving girls & your negative post is not welcome--Go Chelsey & good luck to you--<br><br>I would also add that not seeing Naslund on any of the first three teams is a blemish on the selection commitee's selection process--Look at what she did overall for her team in the Lake Conference and ???? <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... djagfan</A> at: 2/23/06 2:43 pm<br></i>

brookyone

Post by brookyone » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:02 pm

So despite the FACT that a suspension was served as those so charged with the administration of due punishment saw fit we should arbitrarily tack on another punishment, what...nine, ten months later because she's nominated for the Ms. Hockey recognition? A major load of bull doody in my opinion.<br><br>It seems each year, we can never get through a Ms. Hockey award without some goofballs coming out of the woodwork to personally insult and generally bad mouth one or more of the candidates. I'll leave it to those with the obvious good sense to have justifiably chosen her as a candidate in the first place and trust they are free of the pettiness which is so often rampant in this forum...as I have always believed them to be. <p></p><i></i>

ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:24 pm

FWIW - I don't think that this is the place to bash or discuss any player's personal situations.<br><br>I do have to say though that this brings up an interesting general "non-player specific" topic for discussion. How much should MSHSL violations, etc. play into the selection process of awards.<br><br>I'm not just talking about Ms. Hockey, etc. - but in general.<br><br>Should AC/ACHM, AS/ASHM, etc. post season awards be given to players with prior violations, and if so is a violation a "life" sentence?<br><br>Also - other things such as post-season events/festivals, or even team awards such as letters, MVP, etc. have been brought up as potentially being withheld to players with violations.<br><br>I used to be a "one & done" or "death penalty" sort of coach, and while I still don't condone violations, I do believe in giving a player (read as young person) a second chance.<br><br>One discussion that I've heard is that "current season" or "current year" violations should preclude post-season awards, or team awards & letters, from being given to a player with these violations for that year/season only.<br><br>Thoughts??? <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... ckeyfan</A> at: 2/22/06 10:28 pm<br></i>

xk1

Post by xk1 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:29 pm

If you have a violation should you be denied being on the honor roll? How about other academic awards? <p></p><i></i>

ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:49 pm

Hmm...<br><br>That's an interesting question... <p></p><i></i>

hockeywild711

Jones

Post by hockeywild711 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:57 pm

hockeyjock18 you have no idea of what your talking about and it disgusts me that people like you are even allowed to put up posts like that. To say her teammates dont like her is BULL, they get along with her just great. I also think you better get your facts straight about the violations before you look like an even bigger idiot because you dont have that totally right either. If you dont like someone fine, whatever, its a free country but to lie about them is going way over the line on a forum like this. <p></p><i></i>

FightCadetsFight

Post by FightCadetsFight » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:32 pm

Jock, I think Jones's teammates will probably learn to like her since without her they would have had zero chance of making it to State. State will probably be the highlight of all her teammates careers. Regarding the rest of your post about Ms Hockey. I for one, hope that the award NEVER considers academics, personality or community service when they give out the award. The award is for how the player performs on the ice. Period. There are awards for the other things you listed. Regarding the minors, I have a suspicion that if you talked off the record to players on any of the tourney teams, they would all have tales to tell about drinking. And one last thing about top athletes; most of the real superstars in sports are not the most liked members of their teams. Who cares? <p></p><i></i>

ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:58 pm

On last thought to ponder...<br><br>If the award is on ice only, how much should post-season play factor into the final decision of who wins if at all? <p></p><i></i>

hockeyrube

Post by hockeyrube » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:26 am

hockeyjock18,<br><br>For the most part, I really enjoy the thoughts/comments of people on this board, and while I rarely "jump in" with a post of my own - I feel you need to be set straight on a few things.<br>While you are entitled to your opinion, no one is going to respect you for the idiotic things you said about Jones. <br><br>Chelsea is a fantastic hockey player, particularly the way she plays both ends of the rink. She can absolutely dominate a game with her power and speed. She has the hardest shot in the State, by far, and that includes most boys varsity players. She is a great captain, and is very well respected and admired by her teammates. I suggest you attend the Ms. Hockey banquet, and witness all of her teammates gathered together to support her. <br><br>Chelsea also donates countless hours to the Stillwater Youth Program. She shows up for U8 practices on Sunday, her day off, and works with the little girls in the program. She is very polite and respectful to her teammates, and the coaches/parents. In a nutshell, I would be proud to have Chelsea for a daughter - she is a terrific person !<br><br>One last thing - your spelling is atrocious !!<br><br>FightCadetsFight,<br>While Jones is certainly the X-factor for the Ponies, you might be surprised at how deep the team is overall. Time will tell, but the Ponies only lose 3 seniors, and I would be willing to bet that they will be contenders for State for many years to come !!!!<br><br> <p></p><i></i>

coachcorner

Post by coachcorner » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:04 am

madjagfan:<br><br>I don't think it was right to bring up Ms. Lee's name in this mess do you? She has nothing to do with this. Let's keep this clean and positive. It was a High school kid so let's leave it at that. Let not drag another good player that is hurt into this OK. The forum is a positive place right? I'm not talking about just your post but all the other post as well that are bashing Jones. She is a very good player period. Yea there are pro and cons but we can discuss these matters in a positive matter I hope without names.<br><br>So I'm sorry if you think I'm going after you. I just don't like when names are brought up in a negative way thats all. Ms Lee does not deserve that. Yea I'm from that Lake Confrence so I care about her and I have seen her play and I know what she is going through now. And she does not need her name on here like THIS.<br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... hcorner</A> at: 2/23/06 10:31 am<br></i>

madjagfan

Post by madjagfan » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:09 am

Coach, I thought she should have been one of the finalist ok?--Like I said that is my opinion- <p></p><i></i>