7AA Fans

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

boblee

Post by boblee »

GIRLS PREP HOCKEY CAPSULES: Section 7AA
christa lawler, news tribune, Duluth News Tribune
Published Saturday, December 02, 2006

Cloquet-Esko-Carlton

lumberjacks

Coach: Dick Bartholdi, seventh season

Last season’s record: 24-6-1

Key returnees: Sr. G Paige Thunder (.919 save percentage, 1.75 goals-against average); soph. F Sadie Lundquist (17 G, 18A); jr. D Montana Vichorek (4-9—13); jr. F Whitney Anderson (8-17—25)

Outlook: After finishing third in the Class AA tournament and going undefeated in the Lake Superior Conference, the Lumberjacks graduated two key defenders in Michelle Maunu (University of Minnesota) — last season’s Player of the Year — and Megan Olean. Strengths of the team include speed and discipline. The Lumberjacks expect to contend in the conference and section, but Bartholdi predicts that the competition between Grand Rapids-Greenway, Duluth, Hibbing-Chisholm, Proctor-Hermantown-Duluth Marshall and Superior will be tougher than ever.

Duluth NORTHERN STARS

Co-coaches: Amber Fryklund, fourth season, and Jim Knapp

Last season’s record: First-year team

Key returnees: Soph. F Gina Dodge; jr. F Ashley Birdsall; jr. F Taylor Stuzman; soph. G Laura Bellamy; soph. D Tyra Kerr; and sr. D Nikki Royer

Outlook: First year for the team that combines players from Duluth Central, Denfeld and East. Bellamy is a seasoned varsity goalie. Fryklund said the Northern Stars should be competitive in Section 7AA.

Grand rapids-Greenway LIGHTNING

Coach: Pat Rendle, third season

Last season’s record: 15-12

Key returnees: Kayla Clafton; Emily Erickson; Natalie Newton; Molly Arola; Sara Hammann; and Dana Gallop

Outlook: Some solid offseason work and large numbers in the youth programs should help the Lightning, who fell to Cloquet-Esko-Carlton last season in the Section 7AA finals.

Proctor-Hermantown-Marshall MIRAGE

Coach: Glen Gilderman, 10th season

Last season’s record: 17-9

Key returnees: Sr. F Lisa Moline (14-17—31); sr. F Kalee Palmer (14-17—31); fr. F Julia Gilbert (15-8—23); fr. D Hannah Buchite (5-11—16); jr. G Jen Coyle (.873 save percentage); and soph. G Katie Gilderman (.877 percent)

Outlook: The Mirage incorporated more metro-based teams into their schedule this season to prepare for the playoffs. They lost leading scorer Whitney Olson (23-27—50), a member of the News Tribune All-Area first team last season, to graduation.

betS-ely knights

Coach: Stan Skelton, first season

Last season’s record: 3-17

Key returnees: So. F Courtney Rykken; jr. F Lizzy Carpenter; soph. F Hanna Lashmett

Outlook: Team is young, with just one senior. Scoring has been difficult so far.

Eveleth-Gilbert AREA GOLDEN BEARS

Coach: Ron Hendrickson, third season

Last season’s record: 5-19

Key returnees: Jr. G Brittany Moberg; sr. D Cara Rice; sr. F Kate Matanich; soph. F Megan Seppi; fr. F Jordan Turner; and eighth-grader D Ashley Christi.

Outlook: Last year’s young team struggled, but Hendrickson said the Golden Bears should be vastly improved. The team remains young with 13 players listed as freshman or younger and four seniors. Hendrickson said he has three balanced lines and a good goalie in Moberg.

hibbing-Chisholm BLUEJACKETS

Coach: Pete Hyduke, sixth season

Last season’s record: 19-8-2

Key returnees: Sr. D Allie Pullar (1-10—11); jr. F Jamie Fenstermacher (14-19—33); sr. F Kyla Fink (11-21—32); sr. F Ariel Hakala (14-15—29); sr. F Jamie Briski (13-14—27); jr. D Amanda Fairbanks (2-6—8)

Outlook: The Bluejackets have solid goaltending and a strong group of upperclassmen, although none of the line combinations, defensive pairs or goalie situation is the same. Hyduke said injuries are a concern at this time.

international falls BRONCOS

Coach: Bruce Elson, first season

Last season’s record: 11-13-1

Key returnees: Jr. F Sophie Bolstad (6-16—20); jr. G Jessica L’Heureaux (.871 save percentage, 3.21 GAA)

Outlook: The Broncos lost two of the area scoring leaders in Brittany Bolstad (47 points) and Erika Ciminski (41 points). It’s a young team with just one senior after graduating six last year. L’Heaureau is an experienced goalie.

Moose Lake Area REBELS

Coach: Joe Mohelsky, first season

Last season’s record: 6-17-2

Key returnees: Sr. F Sarah Eames (12-9—21); sr. F Kady Holt (8-5—13); sr. F Jamie Berryman (5-6—11); jr. G Rachael Borchardt (.910 save percentage, 3.0 GAA)

Outlook: Numbers are down this season for the Rebels. Mohelsky said the team will focus on discipline and conditioning. They have a talented group of younger players and Borchardt is an experienced and athletic goalie who already has had a 47-save game against Rosemount this season.

Silver Bay AREA MARINERS

Coach: Troy Paulseth, fifth season

Last season’s record: 21-7

Key returnees: Sr. F Libby Guzzo (22-26—48); soph. F Samantha Downey (22-18—40); jr. F Olivia Paulseth (19-19—38)

Outlook: The Mariners rode a 15-game win streak into the Section 7A playoffs last season before falling to Hibbing-Chisholm in the semifinals. Paulseth said the team’s strengths are experience, goaltending, speed and defense. “We have been looking forward to this season since we started high school hockey five years ago,’’ Paulseth said. “Our goal is to play our best in mid-February and have a chance of going to state.”

superior SPARTANS

Coach: Scott VanDamme, sixth season

Last season’s record: 12-11

Key returnees: Jr. F Ashley Martin; jr. F Ashlee Olson; sr. F Taylor VanDamme; sr. D Erica VanDamme; jr. G Janine Siefert

Outlook: The Spartans lost two key players to graduation. VanDamme hopes to have a winning record and battle Proctor-Hermantown-Marshall and Cloquet-Esko-Carlton in the LSC.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Bemidji 3
GRG 1
hawkyfan

Post by hawkyfan »

Hey boblee, have any info on the game? That's to bad the Lightning went down again. Who was in nets for them?
GivinYaTheBusiness

Post by GivinYaTheBusiness »

Hamman was in net. Good job by her tonight. Arola scored the goal, I think the Erickson/Josefson/Cristofferson line got all 3 for the Jacks.
boblee

Post by boblee »

GivinYaTheBusiness wrote:Hamman was in net. Good job by her tonight. Arola scored the goal, I think the Erickson/Josefson/Cristofferson line got all 3 for the Jacks.
That's the extent I know.
bella01

Post by bella01 »

that last one isn't true... the second goal was scored by a girl on the second line...
boblee

Post by boblee »

Couple interesting games today...

GRG @ Silver Bay (my prediction, 5-3 GRG)
CEC @ Hill-Murray (my prediction CEC 3-2)
Warroad vs. Duluth @ Silver Bay (My prediction 4-1 War)
boblee

Post by boblee »

Final #1

In the first of these 3 interesting games it is...

Warroad 3
Duluth 2 OT
boblee

Post by boblee »

Final #2...

GRG continues its disappointing season

Silver Bay 3
GRG 1
icedude44

Post by icedude44 »

I have seen most of the 7AA teams once and some twice now. My early season impressions are:

Cloquet is the team to beat. They have a solid team and great goaltending. Its their goaltending that may make the difference come playoffs.

Forest Lake I would not underestimate. They're a solid team and very capable of beating Cloquet on the right night. Their rankings are starting to show that.

GRG: A little surprised by their slow start but I expect them to finish the second 1/2 of the season strong once they start finding the back of the net.

Duluth: Solid and good goaltending. They could give some teams trouble come playoffs.

PHM: Also very capable of giving teams trouble when they're playing well.

Cambridge, St. Francis: They're also decent teams. I would say any given night, any of these teams are capable of beating the other but Cloquet and Forest Lake seem to be just a notch up on everyone at this point in the season
boblee

Post by boblee »

Cloquet 2
Hill-Murray 1 OT
hawkyfan

Post by hawkyfan »

boblee wrote:Final #2...

GRG continues its disappointing season

Silver Bay 3
GRG 1
Yes, disappointing it is! What's going on with this team? They have so much talent there, why aren't they connecting this year? Makes one wonder! But disappointing is right!
boblee

Post by boblee »

7AA has a lot of common opponents this year. Cloquet plays host to Silver Bay tonight. I like the Jacks 5-1.
jacksfan

Post by jacksfan »

Cloquet 3 Silver Bay 0...Thunder was great in goal! Lundquist scored the first, Baublitz the second and the third was an empty net by Lundquist. A good close up and down game.
boblee

Post by boblee »

At this point I think Cloquet has the #1 seed. #2 is between FL and Duluth. Lightning probably looking at 4. Any of the top 4 can win this section. There are still plenty of chances for teams to move up and down in the seeding as well. Cloquet the favorite as of right now.
boblee

Post by boblee »

PHM is tied with Superior 1-1 in the 3rd.
northhockey

PHM/Superior

Post by northhockey »

Final
PHM 5
Superior 2
bella01

Post by bella01 »

grg pumps the twine past chisago 5-0
boblee

Post by boblee »

Big win for the lightning. They need to follow it up today.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Chisago Lakes-Pine City 0-1-0—1

Hibbing-Chisholm 0-2-2—4

First period — No scoring.

Second period — 1. HC, Allie Pullar (Jamie Brisky), 1:32 (pp). 2. CL, Laura Green (Kate Boynton), 4:43. 3. HC, Amanda Fairbanks (Kyla Fink, Pullar), 6:36 (pp).

Third period — 4. HC, Brisky (Pullar), 2:10 (pp). 5. HC, Fairbanks (Brisky, Jamie Fenstermacher), 11:21.

Saves — Kaye Collier, HC, 12. Erica Pitzan, CL, 28.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Does anyone know where I can find a Cloquet schedule?
hockeyrube7

Post by hockeyrube7 »

boblee wrote:Does anyone know where I can find a Cloquet schedule?
Try MSHSL, they are not the best be close.
http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/schoolactpag ... actnum=460
boblee

Post by boblee »

Cambridge 5
PHM 3
boblee

Post by boblee »

This is the thread I'll put the seedings in, since this is the first 7AA thread. It should be the only one.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Cloquet-Esko-Carlton 1-0-2-0—3

Hibbing-Chisholm 1-2-0-0—3

First period — 1. CEC, Michelle Allen (Sadie Lundquist) 5:25 (pp). 2. HC, Jamie Briski (Allie Pullar) 12:44.

Second period — 3. HC, Tiff Wilkerson (Brittany Geislerman) 9:36. 4. HC, Briski, 13:48 (sh).

Third period — 5. CEC, Jessica Baublitz (Kearsty Cordle) 1:37. 6. CEC, Leanne Gittings (Baublitz) 12:07.

Overtime — no scoring.

Saves — Paige Thunder, CEC, 19. Kaye Collier, HC, 19.