7AA Fans

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

boblee

Post by boblee »

SEEDS:

1. Grand Rapids Greenway
2. Cloquet
3. Forest Lake
4. Duluth
5. Cambridge
6. PHM
7. Chisago Lakes
8. St. Francis
boblee

Post by boblee »

#1 GRG advances 3-1 (ENG) over #8 St. Francis.

#5 Cambridge upset #4 Duluth.

So #1 GRG vs. #5 Cambridge.

#2 Cloquet advances 3-0 over #7 Chisago Lakes.
spr air 210

Post by spr air 210 »

#6 proctor upset #3 forest lake. Great year for forest lake, just didn't have enough against a tough proctor team tonight, late season injuries could have been a factor for the loss but no excuses for the excellent play from proctor.
spr air 210

Post by spr air 210 »

hats off to the northern teams they seem to put it together for the sections, 4th 1st round loss in a row for forest lake. maybe next year
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Disappointing last half of the season for Forest Lake. At one time they were 11-2-1 but then they started to struggle, going 5-5-2.
boblee

Post by boblee »

WOW, Congrats to #6 P-H-M
boblee

Post by boblee »

Northern Stars fall to Bluejackets
Duluth News Tribune
Published Friday, February 09, 2007

Jessica Newstrom had 29 saves as Cambridge-Isanti-Mora beat Duluth 3-1 in a high school girls hockey Section 7AA quarterfinal game Thursday at the DECC.

Megan Stingle scored her 13th goal of the season in the second period for the Northern Stars, who finish the season 15-9-2.

The Bluejackets will play Grand Rapids-Greenway at 1:30 p.m. Saturday at Mars Lakeview Arena.

G. Rapids-Greenway 3,St. Francis-N. Branch 1

Emily Erickson scored two goals for 43 this season as the Lightning (19-7) won a 7AA quarterfinal game for their 10th straight victory.

Cloquet-E-C 3,Chisago Lakes 0

Jessica Baublitz had a goal and an assist as the Lumberjacks (16-6-4) won a 7AA quarterfinal in Cloquet.

It was Paige Thunder’s second shutout of Chisago Lakes this season.

CEC will play Proctor-Hermantown-Marshall at3:30 p.m. Saturday at Mars Lakeview Arena.

PROC.-HERM.-MARSH. 3,FOREST LAKE 1

Julia Gilbert, Sarah Edgerton and Hannah Buchite scored third-period goals to lift the Mirage in a 7AA quarterfinal game.

Goaltender Jen Coyle made 33 saves for Proctor-Hermantown-Marshall(13-11-2).
boblee

Post by boblee »

#1 GRG vs #5 Cambridge--1:30 Saturday @ Mars
#2 Cloquet vs # 6 PHM--3:30 Saturday @ Mars
kp13

Post by kp13 »

any thoughts for these 2 match ups saturday afternoon? with PHM over Forrest Lake, i wouldn't under estimate them in the playoffs here.
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

kp13 wrote:
any thoughts for these 2 match ups saturday afternoon?
I'd bet that just about every 7AA fan has written GRG vs CEC in permanent ink for Thursday night.
boblee

Post by boblee »

I'm hoping CEC and GRG, but either team could get beat. Rumor is that if two northern teams are in the final, it will be held at Mars Arena in Duluth.
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

GRG WINS OVER CAMBRIDGE
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

wHEN AND WHERE I s the final being played at
icedude44

Post by icedude44 »

I haven't heard on the final. Hopefully up north. Great afternnoon of hockey at MARS. It is always great when they do back to back games and the place was packed. 2 excellent games.

GRG vs Cambridge was a good game. Cambridge gave the Lightning a bit of a scare with an early lead but GRG kept coming at them with their quick transition game and eventually Erickson and the first line were too much for them. Fun game to watch and not surprised to see GRG finish strong at the end of the season. We all knew they had the talent.

CLoquet vs PHM was another excellent game. PHM clearly came to play and the Jacks may have been looking ahead and overlooked them. Fortunately for the Jacks, Thunder had another unbelievable performance in the net and was clearly the #1 star of the game, as PHM outshot the Jacks but a large margin. She has the ability to frustrate a team. Congratulations to all four teams in the semifinals. THey all played great and made for some entertaining hockey. This will make for a great matchup between GRG and CLoquet this week, and hopefully it will be somewhere up north.
boblee

Post by boblee »

The final is Thursday at Mars.
boblee

Post by boblee »

CEC, Lightning advance to final
Duluth News Tribune
Published Sunday, February 11, 2007

Paige Thunder made two first-period goals stand up with 30 saves as Cloquet-Esko-Carlton edged Proctor-Hermantown-Marshall 2-1 Saturday at Mars Lakeview Arena to reach the Section 7AA high school girls hockey championship game.

Montana Vichorek and Sadie Lundquist scored in the opening period as the second-seeded Lumberjacks (17-6-4) advanced to play No. 1 seed Grand Rapids-Greenway in the title game Thursday night at Mars Lakeview Arena.

Proctor-Hermantown-Marshall (13-12-2) outshot CEC 31-15.

GRAND RAPIDS-GREENWAY 5,CAMBRIDGE-ISANTI-MORA 3

Emily Erickson scored two goals and assisted on the other three as the Lightning won the 7AA semifinal at Mars Lakeview Arena.

Dana Gallop added two goals and two assists as Grand Rapids-Greenway (20-7) advanced to Thursday’s section final.

The Lightning owned a 39-23 edge in shots on goal.
kp13

Post by kp13 »

It's a disappointing loss for PHM. They outplayed CEC for the 2nd and 3rd period. Paige Thunder played excellent goaltending. PHM could not get anything past her. (As you can see they outshot CEC by quite a bit).
boblee

Post by boblee »

kp13 wrote:It's a disappointing loss for PHM. They outplayed CEC for the 2nd and 3rd period. Paige Thunder played excellent goaltending. PHM could not get anything past her. (As you can see they outshot CEC by quite a bit).
Yeah, that's too bad. But PHM made a great run. Congrats to them.
mr. mudd

Post by mr. mudd »

Here's to another hard fought Section 7AA final. Erickson is phenominal and GRG seem to have peaked ant the right time. C-E-C stumbled a bit late in the year, but seem to have righted the ship. #20 for CEC will be busy. Regardless of who wins, a very deserving team will be headed to state.
Last years game in GR was easily the best girls hockey game I've been at in terms of atmosphere. Mars should be packed. Good luck to both teams.

(go Jacks!!) :wink:
Last edited by mr. mudd on Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

Just remember folks--this is what it's all about. Can you GRG fans imagine if you were playing, say, Hastings in a computer-generated (KRACH) section final? It just wouldn't be the same, would it? When EP faces off against either BSM or Edina on Sat night at Parade, they will be thinking the same thing.
...sorry to get on my high horse at such an emotional moment for you guys, but I LOVE section tournaments..... \:D/
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Bensonmum wrote:Just remember folks--this is what it's all about. Can you GRG fans imagine if you were playing, say, Hastings in a computer-generated (KRACH) section final? It just wouldn't be the same, would it? When EP faces off against either BSM or Edina on Sat night at Parade, they will be thinking the same thing.
...sorry to get on my high horse at such an emotional moment for you guys, but I LOVE section tournaments..... \:D/
Off topic, but in any given year GRC or Cloquet could be playing any one of the three metro-area teams that are now in 7AA - or Cambridge which is a lot closer to the Twin Cities than Cloquet or Grand Rapids - in the section final. Playing Hastings wouldn't be all that different. The "North vs. the South" battles can be fun too - I remember these from my own playing days when I played in the North.

And another way to look at it is if GR and Cloquet didn't have to face off against each other in the sections, they might both make it to the state tournament - who knows? All that said, I agree that these kind of section rivalry games create a lot of excitement too.

P.S. I am not arguing that they should break up sections 7 and 8, just pointing out a few things to consider. Good luck to both teams.
mr. mudd

Post by mr. mudd »

Man, did we get our money's worth on that one.... What a game!! C-E-C hung in there, but the Lightning showed their grit. Congratulations and good luck at State. Show them metro folks that there's more to Girls Hockey than section 6AA.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Yes, that was worth it. Great game.
icedude44

Post by icedude44 »

Great game! Congrats to GRG and good luck at state!!!