Grand Rapids/Greenway Lightning Thread

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sealdog35

Post by Sealdog35 »

deke wrote:I deal with numbers all day long. So I looked up some.

Hamman 2.74% GA
Havel 1.83%
deal with numbers eh? better check your knowledge on stats, since GAA isn't a percentage.

GRG controlled the Burnsville game for long stetches of time, especially in the overtimes...Burnsville gets a fortunate bounce in one of their few opportunities of the period and win the game. I give props to GRG on their season, I was skeptical on their ability to come out of the section, but they proved me wrong...should be fun to see what they put out next year.
deke

Post by deke »

ok GRG hockey fans....it took me a couple of days, but I figured it out. The rules for this thread are.....

things we can comment on:
1. predictions
2. scores
3. congratulations,kudos, and etc.
4. negative comments about Emily (no heart, poor def.)

things we can't comment on:
1. coaching
2. goal tending

Good luck next year GRG!!! (rule#3)
boblee

post 7050

Post by boblee »

deke wrote:ok GRG hockey fans....it took me a couple of days, but I figured it out. The rules for this thread are.....

things we can comment on:
1. predictions
2. scores
3. congratulations,kudos, and etc.
4. negative comments about Emily (no heart, poor def.)

things we can't comment on:
1. coaching
2. goal tending

Good luck next year GRG!!! (rule#3)
Again, you are mis quoting me. I would like to see where I said Emily "has no heart." I would also like to again point out that I said it is one area of her game she can vastly improve. I have time and time again praised her offensive ability. Now for your other two items... 1) Go ahead and comment and coaching, but saying that the team "lost before they got off the bus" is completely false. Also, to state that the decision cost them the game, again, bogus. 2) Goaltending. Everyone knows Havel had a breakout year, but Hammann payed her dues and played just fine in the Burnsville game. To be honest, I wanted to see Bessie play, but Sara played plenty well enough to win. End of these topics PLEASE.
Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Thank you bobby lee and media.

Lets try something new......best game of the year for GRG. me.........first hibbing game at the memorial. Awesome.
boblee

post 7061

Post by boblee »

For me it is this game...

Grand Rapids/Greenway 1

Bemidji 0

F/OT @ IRA Civic Center.

Shutout for Havel.

Erickson OT winner.
hockey1830

Post by hockey1830 »

Deke, I agree with you 100%. There is no way a goalie should be given the opportunity to play in the state tournament when she has not played a game in three weeks because the coaches obviously didn't have confidence in her to get there. You are at the STATE tournament and your goalie has an unbelievably good game (even though it was a loss) in the first round and then you bench her "just to let the senior goalie play" What a bunch of bull. The Lightning could very well have come home with the consolation trophy had it not been for Rendle's stupidity. Putting the puck in the net is a lot easier when the team is playing in front of a goalie that they like.
boblee

post 7179

Post by boblee »

hockey1830 wrote:Putting the puck in the net is a lot easier when the team is playing in front of a goalie that they like.
Oh really? Why didn't they score when she played then?
hawkyfan

Post by hawkyfan »

hockey1830 wrote:Deke, I agree with you 100%. There is no way a goalie should be given the opportunity to play in the state tournament when she has not played a game in three weeks because the coaches obviously didn't have confidence in her to get there. You are at the STATE tournament and your goalie has an unbelievably good game (even though it was a loss) in the first round and then you bench her "just to let the senior goalie play" What a bunch of bull. The Lightning could very well have come home with the consolation trophy had it not been for Rendle's stupidity. Putting the puck in the net is a lot easier when the team is playing in front of a goalie that they like.
Ok, I need to speak my peace on this issue! LOL...The first game against BSM was an awesome game, Havel played out of her mind, she tried her damndest to keep the team in the game, but the other players just couldn't get the puck in the net. Therefore, the 'chance' was gone, the 'chance' was lost when that game was lost to come home with something. The decision to put Hammann in the net was the RIGHT decision! She is a senior, she has put her heart and soul into the team for how many years, we all see she isn't 'as strong' a goalie as Havel is turning out to be, BUT, in my mind, the dedication, positive attitude, support and effort that she has put forth for this team stands for someting! And that something is a chance to play in the State tournament just like the rest of those players, some even getting that oppurtunity when its only their first year being on that bench! She deserved it, she earned it, and once that 'chance' was gone, Coach Rendle did what I would hope any RESPECTABLE coach would do...play a player who is very deserving of that oppurtunity! Hats off to you Coach Rendle for an awesome season! And to all the Lightning players who put it all out on the ice this season...WAY TO GO! YOU GIRLS REALLY DID YOUR TOWN PROUD!
deke

hockey1830

Post by deke »

Finally! I agree with hockey1830.
boblee

post 7185

Post by boblee »

deke wrote:Finally! I agree with hockey1830.
deke, you are turning out to be the most negative person to ever post in the girls forum.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

I have no connection to the program and therefore am totally impartial to this goalie debate issue. But after hearing the arguments from both sides, I agree with boblee and hawkyfan - the coach made his decision to reward his senior goaltender by playing her in the consolation bracket game, and given all of the work and dedication she put into the program that decision should be supported. If GRG had won their first game then you would have to assume the decision on which one to play would have been evaluated differently.
hockey1830

Post by hockey1830 »

Well I guess that dedication, positive attitude, support and effort is in the eye of the beholder. This player announced in a public place one month before state that she was thinking about quitting the team. That is surely dedication. Effort? The day before one of the first playoff games she did not even come to practice! That is for sure effort and dedication. Commending Rendle for playing the senior is ridiculous. If you are at state and want to make sure everyone gets a taste of the experience, then why didn't Hannah Johnson get even one shift? (Oh, by the way, she got the game winning goal in the Lightnings first win EVER aqainst Hibbing) All this said, it is just fantastic that the Lightning went to state and we should all be very proud of these girls and continue to support them and the younger girls who are the future of girls hockey.
boblee

post 7200

Post by boblee »

hockey1830 wrote:If you are at state and want to make sure everyone gets a taste of the experience, then why didn't Hannah Johnson get even one shift?
Hannah played 3 shifts in the QRT final. And I am almost positive she had a shift in overtime of the Burnsville game. Get your facts together.
boblee

post 7201

Post by boblee »

And another note, my senior year of High School I was not going to even go out for the team, and made that well known. I ended up trying out, making it, and going to state. I didn't get to play a lot, but still, no one gave me hell for it.
hockey1830

Post by hockey1830 »

One shift in the Burnsville game? Maybe so, but what a slap in the face to a player who comes to practice every day (unlike Hamman) and then gets the shaft from the coach as did Janae Hoeft. I just feel so bad for the girls who have been short-changed after putting in so many years playing the sport they love. Again, I want to say how proud I am of the Lightning and what they accomplished this year in spite of lots and lots of adversity.
hawkyfan

Post by hawkyfan »

edited to say...I'm not getting into it!
Strategic Aims

Post by Strategic Aims »

"Getting the Shaft", the boys sit four to five player on the bench every game, are they getting the shaft, Burnsville suited up 15 players for the state tournment, did the players who didn't get to experience the State tourney get the shaft. Players beg to sit on the bench in the state tourney and then people complain they get the shaft, The boys this year will take down a line plus most likely other additional players, are they getting the shaft, If the lightning next year only take the players who will be actually playing, the ones that don't will be told they got the shaft. Play four lines in the state, do elite players get the shaft. If a player is told they will only play if someone gets hurt or any other reason the coach gives and they still choose to sit on the bench, are they getting the shaft. Funny how this thread is more negative now than this time last year when the team got beat in the section final.
boblee

post 7203

Post by boblee »

By the way, Hannah Johnson is a terrible choice of a person to use here. She didn't even play the first week of the season. She had to be talked into coming out for the team. Hannah probably had 3-5 shifts in the Burnsville game, but I know she had one in OT. I know that because I was holding up a "#7 Hannah Johnson" sign everytime she touched the ice. I agree, the fourth line should have got a shift at some point, but, the coaches made it clear that it would be very unlikely for them to play. Another point to make...yes, Burnsville had only 15 girls dressed, and predominately played 2 lines and 3 d. Did the 5 girls on their bench get the shaft? I beg you to find me a team in that tourney that played 20 girls solid...You won't be able to do it.
boblee

post 7466

Post by boblee »

At the Lightning banquet, captains were named.

First of all, if boblee had votes it would have gone as follows...

Heather Horgen, Kayla Clafton, Molly Arola

The captains of the 2007-2008 Grand Rapids/Greenway Lightning are...

Heather Horgen, Emily Erickson, Kayla Clafton

Congrats girls, get back to the X!
hawkyfan

Post by hawkyfan »

Alright! Great girls there! Good choice of captains! Now how many days until the season starts????
=D>
boblee

post 7590

Post by boblee »

Congrats to...

Dana Gallop and Morgan Illikainen for advancing to Phase II of the 92 Tryouts.

Molly Arola for advancing to Phase II of the 91 tryouts.

Emily Erickson for advancing to Phase II of the 89/90 tryouts.

Best of luck to all four in Phase II!
boblee

post 7700

Post by boblee »

Heather Horgen has also advanced to Phase II.
boblee

post 7713

Post by boblee »

Congrats to Dana Gallop and Heather Horgen on being part of the Chicago Showcase team.
titleist

Re: post 7203

Post by titleist »

I beg you to find me a team in that tourney that played 20 girls solid...You won't be able to do it.[/quote
]

Roseville ran 4 lines, 3 sets of D in 2 of the games at state. Ran 3 lines and three sets all year
boblee

post 7722

Post by boblee »

titleist wrote:
I beg you to find me a team in that tourney that played 20 girls solid...You won't be able to do it.[/quote
]

Roseville ran 4 lines, 3 sets of D in 2 of the games at state. Ran 3 lines and three sets all year
That was the only team I saw come close, but that is slightly untrue. For most of the Bemidji game they did not run even three lines. It was so consistently PP or PK.