Kaposia Classic

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

SSP 4, New Prague 3 (OT)

Another tough OT loss for NP. Game winner came on a scramble in front of the net 31 seconds into the OT. Ambroz had a hat trick for the Trojans.
xk1

Post by xk1 »

Consolation
AHA 2
Hibbing 0

Third Place
SW 3 EN
NSP 0

Championship
EP 2
RV 0
Oilers08

Post by Oilers08 »

Stillwater 3
N.St.Paul 0

Empty net for SW
N.St.Paul goalie saw 52 shots
Oilers08

Post by Oilers08 »

Roseville 0
EP 2
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Feste is the Kaposia MVP. GWG all 3 nights??? Maybe I'm wrong on this. If the U is smart they'd lock her in for 2008 now!!!
xk1

Post by xk1 »

brookyone

Post by brookyone »

ghshockeyfan wrote:Feste is the Kaposia MVP. GWG all 3 nights??? Maybe I'm wrong on this. If the U is smart they'd lock her in for 2008 now!!!
You're most definitely not wrong in my view...it's that U being smart part that worries me. I've not been exceedingly pleased with / about the GREAT players missed the last few classes.
keepitreal

Post by keepitreal »

ghshockeyfan wrote:Feste is the Kaposia MVP. GWG all 3 nights??? Maybe I'm wrong on this. If the U is smart they'd lock her in for 2008 now!!!
Feste was the best player on the ice and it's not even close. She's one of those rare players that stands out so much you just say "wow". And she's only a junior. I've seen a few other impact players like Feste this year but not too many--but they're all seniors and all likely Ms. Hockey candidates. Not sure anyone in Feste's class holds a candle to her right now. Lot of depth on that team; not untouchable, but they will be hard to beat for the next two seasons.

No surprise, Erin Cody is a very nice player for Roseville. She did everything she could to keep her team in this game. Good solid skater with size and strength; she could easily develop into a top college player. They have a couple good looking 9th graders. Vic has done a solid job with this team.

New Prague represented well for themselves despite the finish; three close losses against tough teams! Hibbing looked good; they move the puck well and Collier looks solid. Stillwater is underrated; they look good and are beginning to come into their own.
xwildfan

Post by xwildfan »

I thought Erin Cody was the most noticeable player on the ice. She had many scoring opportunities and seemed to be a threat almost every shift. Feste was great as well. But Cody had the puck a lot more; just wasn't her night as far as scoring.
keepitreal

Post by keepitreal »

xwildfan wrote:I thought Erin Cody was the most noticeable player on the ice. She had many scoring opportunities and seemed to be a threat almost every shift. Feste was great as well. But Cody had the puck a lot more; just wasn't her night as far as scoring.
I agree Cody was very noticable, especially later in the game--perhaps more a function of EP's depth compared to Roseville where she is clearly their workhorse. I take nothing away from her at all--she plays with a lot of heart and has the size/strength to really emerge at the next level. If she could keep that big wrist shot below the crossbar it might have been a different story last night--EP's goalie was struggling with rebounds. However, Feste's speed and hands combined with the abilities of her linemates make you go "uh oh" everytime she gets the puck in space. Very explosive and dynamic.
hockeyrube

Post by hockeyrube »

I was very impressed with the Kaposia. The tournament was full of really talented kids - no wonder why there are so many college scouts at the games !!! A few observations of the teams I saw....

AHA - big, strong, but took way too many penalties which cost them dearly

New Prague - scrappy team - very solid - Ambroz is a big time player - better than Kilpatrick IMO

Roseville - very quick - tenacious forecheckers - certainly a favorite in their section.

Stillwater - fun team - lots of speed, and very young - top 3 lines
have 1-Sr, 2-Jr, 2-So, 4-Fr !!!! will be very good for many years.

EP - What can you say.... very talented especially Jr. class. They are not as untouchable as last yr., but will be difficult to knock off. Feste, Stoa, Ludwigson, Seeler, Lambert, Green, etc etc etc. The third line has two sisters - Ketcher ??? very skilled and fast - where did these kids from ???
Looks like a 2 yr run is left - than without O/E as we know it they will finally need to depend on their youth program - hope the bridge hasn't been burned too bad.

FYI - on the Feste vs. Cody comparison - I would love to have either one on my squad, but they are different players - I compare them to Thunstrom vs. Hogan (NSP last yr) - Feste/Thunstrom vs. Cody/Hogan
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

keepitreal wrote:
xwildfan wrote:I thought Erin Cody was the most noticeable player on the ice. She had many scoring opportunities and seemed to be a threat almost every shift. Feste was great as well. But Cody had the puck a lot more; just wasn't her night as far as scoring.
I agree Cody was very noticable, especially later in the game--perhaps more a function of EP's depth compared to Roseville where she is clearly their workhorse. I take nothing away from her at all--she plays with a lot of heart and has the size/strength to really emerge at the next level. If she could keep that big wrist shot below the crossbar it might have been a different story last night--EP's goalie was struggling with rebounds. However, Feste's speed and hands combined with the abilities of her linemates make you go "uh oh" everytime she gets the puck in space. Very explosive and dynamic.
I agree. On the game program it says "The best of the best." EP was this in the tourney, and Feste was this as a player. Take nothing away from the others, but in a group that an elite player/team may blend in with, EP & Feste were a notch above.

Also - selfishly - I've been waiting 5 years to see how amazing that Feste-Ludwigson-Stoa line would become... I expected great things, but what we saw at Kaposia out of them was absolutely amazing...
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

hockeyrube wrote:FYI - on the Feste vs. Cody comparison - I would love to have either one on my squad, but they are different players - I compare them to Thunstrom vs. Hogan (NSP last yr) - Feste/Thunstrom vs. Cody/Hogan
Well said...
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

brookyone wrote:
You're most definitely not wrong in my view...it's that U being smart part that worries me. I've not been exceedingly pleased with / about the GREAT players missed the last few classes.
I would love to see her wearing Maroon & Gold come 2008!!!
Roman Legion

Post by Roman Legion »

As much as any of us would love to see the best players play with the local university it doesn't always work out that way.

What happens if this girls doesn't want to play at MN?

I am sure Feste's one year experience with Slominski could have some bearing on her decision, now that Slominski is at the U of MN.

MN might not be the #1 destination anymore for the best players. Other midwestern universities could have passed them up.

I hope that the best players do end up at MN, but I don't think it has the same pull that it once had.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Roman Legion wrote:As much as any of us would love to see the best players play with the local university it doesn't always work out that way.

I am sure Feste's one year experience with Slominski could have some bearing on her decision, now that Slominski is at the U of MN.

MN might not be the #1 destination anymore for the best players. Other midwestern universities could have passed them up.

I hope that the best players do end up at MN, but I don't think it has the same pull that it once had.
Well said. I guess you hope that the best in MN still want to live that dream of wearing Maroon & Gold. I forget though that Wisconsin and others are pretty attractive options right now (whoi wouldn't want to play for the WI coaching staff?!?!?).

For all these reasons, I would hope that we'd start to see more "early commitments" to the U for the best players well in advance of their senior season. That, as it does for boys, may (re)establish where all the best players are going to go and may create/maintain a movement towards what has long been a model W Hockey program in the nation at the U.

I woudl think that Slomo woudl be a draw for players too as a former Ms Hockey, active Elite/National Level HS NDP coach, and also amazing player at the U too in her time. Plus, she coached a team at Kennedy that had more NDP players than any other team in recent history (6 P2 or Higher, 4 to Lake Placid, in one year!), coached at St. Olaf, @ SCSU, and now the U. Pretty amazing resume if you ask me!
xk1

Post by xk1 »

There is another factor in deciding where to go to college, doesn't come up much in these forums but believe it or not some people actually make thier college choice based on what school offers the education best suited for the student rather than the fan.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

xk1 wrote:There is another factor in deciding where to go to college, doesn't come up much in these forums but believe it or not some people actually make thier college choice based on what school offers the education best suited for the student rather than the fan.
This is true! We get caught up in the athletics and forget about what should be paramount in the academic concerns!
cluelessinminnesota

Post by cluelessinminnesota »

Is this the last of the Great Kaposia Classic tournaments?

It doesn't seem to make sense for the best Class AA teams to go play against class A teams. I have no doubt that Hibbing will be getting better, but after the Simones and Bauerfeld leave SSP and Kilpatrick leaves NP its going to be tough to attract the best teams.

I hear Edinas setting up a tournment for the end of next year. What does anyone else hear? and who has committed so far?
Roman Legion

Post by Roman Legion »

I agree that the Kaposia might be on the way down. But it is hard to sustain a great tournament for over 10 years. They have done a wonderful job with it. In the future it could be more similar to the boys SSP tourney.

It will be interesting to see if the Schwans people try to do something with the girls top group like they do with the boys. They could have the tournament at Ridder or somewhere else. If they did something like that they might take over the top spot. I suppose Edina could do something at Braemar.
xk1

Post by xk1 »

Kaposia has tradition going for it, Schwan doesn't come close or teams wouldn't be leaving it.
New Prague has only 1 senior, Kilpatrick, I think they have another good year in them. As long as the other 7 teams stay at the level they have over the years it will be a great tournament and is still the best run HS tournament by far. Wakota is far better than Ridder as well if for no other reason than parking.
Edina might be a reasonable alternative because they started the Holiday tradition for the boys. If that happens, I hope Kaposia becomes THE place to play for A teams.
xwildfan

Post by xwildfan »

Hopefully the Kaposia Tourney can keep going. More exciting hockey on the smaller sheet as compared to the Olympic size at Blaine. Better seating and atmosphere at Wakota.
JJhockeySS

Great Tournament

Post by JJhockeySS »

Clueless,

I think you are correct, I'm not sure that it will have the same caliber of teams in the future.

I will say this, it has been the greatest tournament for over a decade and as RL says it's hard to sustain a quality tournament that long. This tournament is well run, and the rink is great for hockey. The quality has been fantastic, and I think playing quality teams brings out the best in everyone, I think that was shown by the number of fun, fast paced, close (ot) games this year.

I have heard there a couple of big name programs trying to put together a holiday tournament, it will be interesting to see where everyone ends up next year.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

http://www.grandforksherald.com/article ... ion=sports

This is exactly what I was talkng about below!
ghshockeyfan wrote:
Roman Legion wrote:As much as any of us would love to see the best players play with the local university it doesn't always work out that way.

Well said. I guess you hope that the best in MN still want to live that dream of wearing Maroon & Gold. I forget though that Wisconsin and others are pretty attractive options right now (whoi wouldn't want to play for the WI coaching staff?!?!?).

For all these reasons, I would hope that we'd start to see more "early commitments" to the U for the best players well in advance of their senior season. That, as it does for boys, may (re)establish where all the best players are going to go and may create/maintain a movement towards what has long been a model W Hockey program in the nation at the U.

I woudl think that Slomo woudl be a draw for players too as a former Ms Hockey, active Elite/National Level HS NDP coach, and also amazing player at the U too in her time. Plus, she coached a team at Kennedy that had more NDP players than any other team in recent history (6 P2 or Higher, 4 to Lake Placid, in one year!), coached at St. Olaf, @ SCSU, and now the U. Pretty amazing resume if you ask me!
unbelievable

More National Championships on the way for the Gophers!!!

Post by unbelievable »

This is fantastic news for the Gopher Womens Hockey program and the U in general. Jocelyne and Monique are both model student/athletes and could have gone to any number of schools. I tip my cap to the Gopher coaches and the U administration!

How do you spell hockey?

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A !!!