7AA Semi East vs Forest Lake

Post only photos that you have taken or own the rights to.

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

DHMN

7AA Semi East vs Forest Lake

Post by DHMN » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:47 pm

All the photos here

Not the quality of Mike's Edina photos but nonetheless:

HuskiesD1

Post by HuskiesD1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:55 pm

Love the second one with the goalies stick behind him in the crease.

I have one suggestion: Use a custom white balance. Take a picture of the ice after its zambonied, then choose Custom WB from your cameras menu. Select the ice picture then set your WB setting to "Custom", though it really depends on your camera.

DHMN

Post by DHMN » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:56 pm

HuskiesD1 wrote:Love the second one with the goalies stick behind him in the crease.

I have one suggestion: Use a custom white balance. Take a picture of the ice after its zambonied, then choose Custom WB from your cameras menu. Select the ice picture then set your WB setting to "Custom", though it really depends on your camera.

I'll do that come next season, Im still just shooting with the bottom of the line Rebel XS, though I could do it now, I don't know with this camera how much difference it will make. There will be a camera improvement in the coming weeks, but that will be after the hockey season's over. Thanks for the comment though!

HuskiesD1

Post by HuskiesD1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:23 pm

Honestly, camera doesn't matter. This coming from a camera salesperson :)

You'll get some improvements by upgrading to say, a Canon 40D. Faster framerate, better low light performance and better autofocus - but you don't NEED them.

mikempls

Post by mikempls » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:59 am

I guess I disagree with you - camera does matter - there is a specific camera for each type of photographer and what they will be shooting.

Another suggestion for you - in shutter priority mode - trying dialing down your shutter speed for slower or still action and crank it back up when needed to keep your ISO lower on some slower speed shots.

HuskiesD1

Post by HuskiesD1 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:09 pm

mikempls wrote:I guess I disagree with you - camera does matter - there is a specific camera for each type of photographer and what they will be shooting.

Another suggestion for you - in shutter priority mode - trying dialing down your shutter speed for slower or still action and crank it back up when needed to keep your ISO lower on some slower speed shots.
Just saying it *is* possible to get good hockey pictures using a manual focus camera. As an owner of a 1D Mark II and a 40D, I understand that you really need to choose appropriate gear for what you are doing, but you could get decent shots with anything.

I'd disagree on the usage of shutter priority, especially for hockey. Unless you use a spot meter and keep the center squarely on a player, the white background is going to push your shutter speed high enough that underexposure is inevitable.