Cancelling State Tournament Banquets

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

EPIC97

Cancelling State Tournament Banquets

Post by EPIC97 »

Can anyone shed some light on why Minnsota hockey has suddenly decided to not support the state banquet tradition for players and coaches.
As a first time state attendy my understanding from others is this is one of the events that the players remember and seperates the state tournament from any other.
EPIC97

Post by EPIC97 »

Just to add; My thanks to those tournament organizers that have put an effort in to the banquet events already by securing venues, preparing menus and trying to make the event special for the attendees.
THANK YOU !!!!!
Cornhuskeroil

Post by Cornhuskeroil »

The reason I heard from a District 10 coordinator was too many complaints from parents who had to pay an extra night hotel (for out of town venues) as the banquets were held Thursday evenings. My question is why can't something be held Friday evening or Saturday morning (non game times) when an extra night lodging is not required?
pinsplitter

Re: Cancelling State Tournament Banquets

Post by pinsplitter »

EPIC97 wrote:Can anyone shed some light on why Minnsota hockey has suddenly decided to not support the state banquet tradition for players and coaches.
As a first time state attendy my understanding from others is this is one of the events that the players remember and seperates the state tournament from any other.
Is this the case for all the State Tournaments? I hope not. It is part of what makes the whole experience.
TriedThat2

Post by TriedThat2 »

It is up to the host if they want to provide the experience. The decision to cut was 100% financial.
D10RoXyourSoX

Post by D10RoXyourSoX »

Financial?? Why would Minnesota Hockey not do its due diligence to determine which Districts can support the full experience. This seems like a matter of Minnesota Hockey not supporting the membership. Is there a checklist that helps make the decision to give a association ownership of a tournament or is this another Title IX scenario, we cannot leave anyone out.

If we have a member in the MinnHock community from MN Hockey that can elaborate, that would be nice.

Tradition is very important to the entire experience for first time attendees or repeat offenders. IMHO

Go Blue!
drop_the_puck

Post by drop_the_puck »

pjnorby wrote:I have reorganized the State tournament banquet (that was previously cancelled) and we are expecting 400 plus 12UA parents and players on a night to respect these kids and there accomplishments.
You are awesome, pjnorby!
pitbull

Post by pitbull »

:roll: :roll:

Great thanks for getting the banquet going again!

It went from a special event for the people who deserve it, THE PLAYERS, COACHES AND MANAGERS to an watered down, forced event with 400 parents, coaches and managers. Thanks but not thanks. Not so special.
drop_the_puck

Post by drop_the_puck »

pitbull wrote:It went from a special event for the people who deserve it, THE PLAYERS, COACHES AND MANAGERS to an watered down, forced event with 400 parents, coaches and managers. Thanks but not thanks. Not so special.
Why so cynical? Don't you like the parents?

I personally think this will be a wonderful celebration of 12UA hockey this year. I have no doubt in my mind that this banquet will actually be every bit as (if not more) special than a Minnesota Hockey-sponsored event.

If last year's 12UB banquet at Breezy Point is a guide, having the parents and families in attendance added to the experience for the girls, coaches, and managers.
pjnorby

Post by pjnorby »

Pitbull...sorry you feel that way. I just wanted the parents to be able to come. Proud moment for them too! Early morning hockey, lots of money and many hours in the car. 400 seams like a lot, but do the math.
17 players x 2 parents = 51..........51 x 8 teams = 408.........Mix in a few special guests, speakers, tournament directors etc. and there you go, 400 + guests. As I said in another blog, send the wife...the evening will be better for it.
redarmydad

Post by redarmydad »

pjnorby wrote:Pitbull...sorry you feel that way. I just wanted the parents to be able to come. Proud moment for them too! Early morning hockey, lots of money and many hours in the car. 400 seams like a lot, but do the math.
17 players x 2 parents = 51..........51 x 8 teams = 408.........Mix in a few special guests, speakers, tournament directors etc. and there you go, 400 + guests. As I said in another blog, send the wife...the evening will be better for it.

SOLID!!!!!
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

drop_the_puck wrote: If last year's 12UB banquet at Breezy Point is a guide, having the parents and families in attendance added to the experience for the girls, coaches, and managers.
Hopefully they'll have a better speaker. It was bad enough that he was unbelievably boring, but the self promoting made it very hard to take.

The 12B state tournament was a real education for our girls. They aren't used to seeing people so drunk they can barely stand up.
davinci

Post by davinci »

luckyEPDad wrote:
drop_the_puck wrote: If last year's 12UB banquet at Breezy Point is a guide, having the parents and families in attendance added to the experience for the girls, coaches, and managers.
Hopefully they'll have a better speaker. It was bad enough that he was unbelievably boring, but the self promoting made it very hard to take.

The 12B state tournament was a real education for our girls. They aren't used to seeing people so drunk they can barely stand up.

Maybe you EP parents should leave the bottle at home this year. :lol:
Fair Play

Post by Fair Play »

Why on earth would the STATE hockey banquet get canceled? For financial reasons? After traveling all hockey season these teams deserve to have time together with the other teams and be recognized for their accomplishments. If there was a problem with the system why was it not addressed and fixed instead of just taken away?
sinbin

banquets

Post by sinbin »

But the teams covered a large portion of the banquets. What did they charge us - something like $20 a head for a meal that cost the hosts less than $10? Or maybe it was $10 a head for a meal that cost the hosts less than $10? Anyway, the hosts might have covered the girls and coaches, but the add-ons more than paid their way as well as lowered costs for the players and coaches, so I don't fully understand the financial argument.

Also, then, it sounds like luck of the draw if you attend a state venue that wants to throw a banquet and one that doesn't. I would presume MN Hockey's rule would be all-or-nothing (all venues have banquets or no venues have banquets), but it looks like I am indeed being presumptuous.

It's all part of the state experience (and a very positive one at that), one that most players will be lucky to attend even once. It's a shame it ended and even more of a shame the way it was apparently handled by MN Hockey (i.e., no communication, inconsistencies, etc.).
BlaineU14AGoalie

Post by BlaineU14AGoalie »

To clear it all up for everyone the reason they canceled the banquet is because the parents didn't want to get their kids out of school an extra day. Also because some of the parents couldn't get the day off. Money was also a problem but it wasn't a huge one and also because some of the kids thought it was pointless. So some of the teams held their own one like Andover.