Advanced 15 try-outs - District 10

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

CenRedFan

Post by CenRedFan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:43 pm

Fixed, fixed, fixed!!! There are so many on this team that do not deserve to be there and that fact that the evaluators are from District 10 reeks....

D10RoXyourSoX

Post by D10RoXyourSoX » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:55 pm

I take it CenRED is from Centennial and his/her daughter did not make the team. However it looks like 3 others players from D10 made it.

Where does all the complaining end??? If your daughter did not make it, learn from it. Evaluate your own player and make the good decisions to improve your athlete. Dont wine and cry and put the blame on others. Back up your statements with facts, when you make comments that hold no merit it is hard for others to take your post seriously.

6 Defense
Edina HS
Blake HS
Highland Central U14 A
South St. Paul HS
Roseville HS
Coon Rapids HS

Forwards - 8
Minnetonka U14A
Roseville HS
Elk River HS
Rapids/Greenway
Eastview HS
Duluth HS
Chisago Lakes HS
Warroad HS

Goalies - 1
Park Cottage Grove

GO BLUE!

CenRedFan

Post by CenRedFan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:18 pm

D10RoXyourSoX wrote:I take it CenRED is from Centennial and his/her daughter did not make the team. However it looks like 3 others players from D10 made it.

Where does all the complaining end??? If your daughter did not make it, learn from it. Evaluate your own player and make the good decisions to improve your athlete. Dont wine and cry and put the blame on others. Back up your statements with facts, when you make comments that hold no merit it is hard for others to take your post seriously.

6 Defense
Edina HS
Blake HS
Highland Central U14 A
South St. Paul HS
Roseville HS
Coon Rapids HS

Forwards - 8
Minnetonka U14A
Roseville HS
Elk River HS
Rapids/Greenway
Eastview HS
Duluth HS
Chisago Lakes HS
Warroad HS

Goalies - 1
Park Cottage Grove
This team must be the 16's or 17's? I am talking about the 15's.

Actually my child did make the team however I saw lots that didn't that should have. There were some girls from a particular team that did make it and one of their assistant high school coaches was an evaluator. It would seem to me that the districts should be getting evaluators from outside of their area as to not appear biased. This is our first experience with this and I guess I could be wrong but it seemed fishy.......

MinnGirlsHockey

Post by MinnGirlsHockey » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:37 pm

D10RoXyourSoX wrote:6 Defense
Edina HS
Blake HS
Highland Central U14 A
South St. Paul HS
Roseville HS
Coon Rapids HS

Forwards - 8
Minnetonka U14A
Roseville HS
Elk River HS
Rapids/Greenway
Eastview HS
Duluth HS
Chisago Lakes HS
Warroad HS

Goalies - 1
Park Cottage Grove
I think you're looking at the final statewide Adv 15 team from last year (1994 birthdates). I believe CenRedFan was referring to the Adv 15 - D10 team only (after the initial cuts). In some districts with low numbers, it's hard not to make it past the initial cuts. I'm sure D10 had a ton of girls trying out this year, though.

GirlsHockeyIsAwesome

Post by GirlsHockeyIsAwesome » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:22 pm

Have they posted the names or association names of the players that made the first round?

BlaineU14AGoalie

Post by BlaineU14AGoalie » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:59 pm

I'm sure it's not fixed, D10 would never allow that to happen and everyone knows it.

magelk

Re: Advanced 15 try-outs - District 10

Post by magelk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:27 am

CenRedFan wrote:Fixed, fixed, fixed!!! There are so many on this team that do not deserve to be there and that fact that the evaluators are from District 10 reeks....
Thats the first time I've ever heard of a tryout being fixed.

CenRedFan

Post by CenRedFan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:08 am

Ok maybe "fixed" is the wrong word to use however it is suspect. Doesn't anyone think evaluators should be from a different district?

CenRedFan

Post by CenRedFan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:11 am

MinnGirlsHockey wrote: I think you're looking at the final statewide Adv 15 team from last year (1994 birthdates). I believe CenRedFan was referring to the Adv 15 - D10 team only (after the initial cuts). In some districts with low numbers, it's hard not to make it past the initial cuts. I'm sure D10 had a ton of girls trying out this year, though.
They did have a lot - like 45-50 girls.

BlaineU14AGoalie

Post by BlaineU14AGoalie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:44 am

I don't think it would make a differnce if they were from another district. District 10 evaluators are honest and they do know who should be on the team and who should be cut.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:57 am

they do know who should be on the team and who should be cut
What, then, is the point of the tryout?

hockeylover17

Post by hockeylover17 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:02 pm

To see what players are better than their age level

CenRedFan

Post by CenRedFan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:25 pm

BlaineU14AGoalie wrote:I don't think it would make a differnce if they were from another district. District 10 evaluators are honest and they do know who should be on the team and who should be cut.
You can say that but when you coach some of the girls and your daughter is friends with them, sorry but I can't believe there is no bias there.

Just seems like it would be a good idea no matter how "honest" you believe people are. If you watch someone play over the season, you are more likely to watch them during try-outs.

BlaineU14AGoalie

Post by BlaineU14AGoalie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:50 pm

so what you are saying is that one of the evaluators is from centennial? Well sorry to say but the evaluators who are playing favorites shouldnt be allowed to evaluate again. Atleast your daughter made it on that team even though some others wern't, but the only thing you can do is ignore them and hope your daughter makes it far

magelk

Post by magelk » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:03 pm

So, there are girls on the team now from probably 12 different associations and several different high school teams and they managed to get 12 different coaches to watch only those girls and purposely ignore whoever it is you are upset about?

I'm guessing the real truth is, is that someone showed up and did not have a good tryout. And your the one being biased towards that girl because YOU have watched her for probably her whole life and YOU probably did not watch closely at what all the other girls did on the ice.

CenRedFan

Post by CenRedFan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:04 am

No, the evaluator and girl that didn't make it are not from Centennial and no, I haven't watched this person their whole life.

whoknew

Post by whoknew » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:29 pm

Why do they have tryouts when they know, for the most part, who they're going to choose? Didn't the players have to pay MN Hockey to tryout. . .? As usual, when in doubt, follow the money.

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:41 pm

C R F
The district has more than just the coached judging. There are usually about 5 to 7 more hockey people involved in the evaluations plus 2 goalie judges and not counting the district board members who also are there to keep things going. The scoring system used is hard to fix so that a certain person is picked. All the people care about is getting as many players to the next level as possible.
If you have concerns bring them to the District Director but have facts and documentation to back up your allegations.

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:12 am

It's easy to throw around allegations in situations like this. It's difficult to have "facts" since the evaluations are objective (unless you have timed skill tests as part of the evaluation process), so unless someone is privy to a rating sheet with player's scores whited out and new ones written in, it's impossible to "prove" a conspiracy. Just suffice it say that politics exist in all arenas of life and I've yet to encounter any situation that was completely immune to politics. I suppose it's just a matter of degree. In general, most people are very well-intentioned, but most does not equal all and well-intentioned does not equal perfection. In general, they do a good job, but no individual or process is perfect.

Night Train

Post by Night Train » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:53 am

Hey, the bubble is a bitch. I think that's what you're talking about. Anyone can pick the first 15 players for these 20 (plus 2 goalies) player rosters. Now you get to the last 5 and guess what, as an observer, your opinion doesn't count. Some like big and strong and some like small and fast. I think where there can be a problem with these evaluations is with totally impartial evaluators they do not know the history of individual players. There's some value to knowing the 5 year history of the players. Have they scored over the last 5 years. Do they get dumb penalties over the last 5 years. There's a lot impartial evaluators don't know in 2 days of tryouts that someone watching for 5 years does. That's where some people think the process isn't great. Unfortunately, that's the process. So, you need to adjust for the process as it's not going to adjust for you and your personal situation or opinion. Stay off the bubble.

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:54 am

Exactly, night train, the evaluators can't determine in 3 or 4 days if the kid is a head case or is lazy or if she works her butt off in practice and is extremely coachable and has exhibited consistent growth over time. It would be great to get some coaches' input into those factors, but then you're left with even moe potential for policitcs. I just know I'm not wise enough to have a perfect solution.

magelk

Post by magelk » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:31 pm

sinbin wrote:Exactly, night train, the evaluators can't determine in 3 or 4 days if the kid is a head case or is lazy or if she works her butt off in practice and is extremely coachable and has exhibited consistent growth over time. It would be great to get some coaches' input into those factors, but then you're left with even moe potential for policitcs. I just know I'm not wise enough to have a perfect solution.
They all ready get coaches input in the recommendation of the player for the tryout. Trouble there is that the coaches all recommend anyone who wants to try out.

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:50 pm

Well, obviously I was (and still am) incredibly naive as to the workings of the Advanced 15 selection process, but for District 6, all I can say is "wow".

CenRedFan

Post by CenRedFan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:37 am

Night Train wrote:Hey, the bubble is a bitch. I think that's what you're talking about. Anyone can pick the first 15 players for these 20 (plus 2 goalies) player rosters. Now you get to the last 5 and guess what, as an observer, your opinion doesn't count. Some like big and strong and some like small and fast. I think where there can be a problem with these evaluations is with totally impartial evaluators they do not know the history of individual players. There's some value to knowing the 5 year history of the players. Have they scored over the last 5 years. Do they get dumb penalties over the last 5 years. There's a lot impartial evaluators don't know in 2 days of tryouts that someone watching for 5 years does. That's where some people think the process isn't great. Unfortunately, that's the process. So, you need to adjust for the process as it's not going to adjust for you and your personal situation or opinion. Stay off the bubble.
Whatever-the bubble is a bitch but there is a lot more going on here than that. You can ask just about anyone that watched the try-outs plus the practices afterward. I'm not talking about girls that I even know. I've watched enough of this that there are girls that do not belong there. You could tell it during try-outs and it was so very obvious during practices after. It's such a political game, it's ridiculous.

Night Train

Post by Night Train » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:42 am

Pretend there are no politics at all and it will help your perspective. See. Get off the bubble. Make sure your player is a first 10 player pick and you'll never have a problem again.

You should also know that this process doesn't always define the best. There's a limit to the number of invites per association so some nice players are left out right away. Some players play a spring sport and opt not to participate. Now there's a tryout and some of the evaluators have never seen, or know, any of the players. Zero history. That's where the bubble can be a problem.

I'm a fan of smart players. Well guess what, skill is easy to spot from the stands. GPA is a little more difficult to see.

The boys process used to favor large players at the expense of smaller skilled ones. Penner, Nash, Getzlaf, Heatley, Thornton instead of Crosby, Kane, St. Louis, etc. It's tough to decide sometimes as all are great players.

Use it as a motivator to work harder. There are plenty more opportunities to come and I'm sure your player will be better prepared to shine next time.