Will MN Hockey Ever Institute Delayed Off-Sides?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Should MN Hockey change to tag up offsides?

Yes
84%
No
16%

Total votes: 19

u12dad

Will MN Hockey Ever Institute Delayed Off-Sides?

Post by u12dad »

Why does MN Hockey refuse to change to delayed off-sides for at least PW/12 and older? With 12 min periods, it is a huge waste of playing time.

Come on MN Hockey, get out of the stone ages a change the rule!
BarTender3035

Post by BarTender3035 »

Skills, learn to regroup, controll puck, passing, stick handeling, communication. Don't get me wrong I WOULD love to see regroup offsides come back.
2010 MINNESOTA STATE HIGH SCHOOL CONTEST WINNER
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

For this change to take place it has to be done at USA Hockey and I believe this is a proposal for the USA Annual meeting in June.
Mr Nice Guy

Post by Mr Nice Guy »

Crap, I misread the question. I thought it said will minnesota hockey change to delayed off sides.
So that 1 no vote should be yes. :oops:
OntheEdge

Re: Will MN Hockey Ever Institute Delayed Off-Sides?

Post by OntheEdge »

u12dad wrote:Why does MN Hockey refuse to change to delayed off-sides for at least PW/12 and older? With 12 min periods, it is a huge waste of playing time.

Come on MN Hockey, get out of the stone ages a change the rule!
I totally agree but I voted "no" because the proposal to change the rule to delayed offsides has been made for at least 10 years. USA hockey has not budged. I've heard various reasons that may be appropriate for the U10/U12 level (teaches offsides to the younger kids) but at the very least I think at the U14/U19 it should be delayed offsides like HS hockey and summer AAA.
whockeyguy

Post by whockeyguy »

learn to pass the puckand other skills, all this rule does allow the team just to slap it it around,
redarmydad

Post by redarmydad »

I cannot agree with any who say this teaches off sides to the younger ages (mite/squirt,U8/U10). It is a simple concept to learn and if you think that a whistle blowing has any effect, I disagree. Most times while watching a youth game, when a younger kid is off sides and a whistle blows, they look around and think huh, wonder why that whistle was blown, but while in a delayed off sides situation, the player has the ref, the coach, and probably the entire audience in the stands telling them they are off sides, a fact that most kids will not forget. Plus, isn't it the job of the coach to teach off sides to her/his players? And for the argument that it teaches skills and to re-group, again I would have to disagree. If a player, who knows the rule, see's that they are going to be off sides, that is when the regroup should take effect. Keeping your head up, knowing where you are at and your teammates are at, that is hockey. A whistle is not changing what should happen or teaching them anything. With delayed off sides, a player and team for that matter at least have the opportunity to regroup instead of having the whistle blown and play suspended for a face off. How is that teaching them to regroup?

One solution (in my opinion) could be in a delayed off sides situation, if the player continues to press, and stays off sides, then the ensuing face off should be, say it with me "ALL THE WAY DOWN!". I feel that is a just and fare compromise for the rule. We are talking about flow of the game, skill development, and regrouping. This, in my opinion of course, would enhance all three aspects and make for better hockey players. We should have enough faith in our kid’s intelligence to learn the concept. Why delay the inevitable anyways, since delayed off sides is where they all are heading.
blindref

Post by blindref »

In one hour games, you are hurting everyone's development when you have the ref chase down an offsides puck eight times a game instead of a defenseman. I takes around 30 seconds to retreive the puck and reset everyone and that's if neither of the teams decide to change their lines.
They play tag up in high school, junior gold, juniors, college, pros and bar leaugue. This is where all of the kids are headed eventually.
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

Is it any more difficult to officiate? Most youth games only have 2 referees.