Eden Prairie 14U Tournament (Feb 10th to 13th)

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

iceglo

Eden Prairie 14U Tournament (Feb 10th to 13th)

Post by iceglo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:20 pm

14UA Pools

Black

1 Eden Prairie
2 Osseo/ Maple Grove
3 Roseau
4 Fargo

Red

1 Wayzata
2 Centennial Red
3 Sibley
4 Thunder Bay

White

1 Edina Green
2 Minnetonka
3 Anoka
4 North Metro

14UB Brackets

Eden Prairie Red
Highland

Edina
Thunder Bay

Eden Prairie Black
Minneapolis

OMG
Thunder Bay Fury

Puck Whisperer

Post by Puck Whisperer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:42 am

On the B bracket's, I am pretty sure Highland does not exist??

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Puck Whisperer wrote:On the B bracket's, I am pretty sure Highland does not exist??
I believe that is the Highland 14A team. They would have been a better fit in 14B and I am glad their coach and the tournament director came to the same conclusion. Plus the EP Red girls are looking forward to playing somebody different.

hockeyfan87

Post by hockeyfan87 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:21 pm

luckyEPDad wrote:
Puck Whisperer wrote:On the B bracket's, I am pretty sure Highland does not exist??
I believe that is the Highland 14A team. They would have been a better fit in 14B and I am glad their coach and the tournament director came to the same conclusion. Plus the EP Red girls are looking forward to playing somebody different.
So if Highland is in fact a 14UA team, not sure they will be allowed to play against 14UB teams. MN hockey does not allow teams from one level to play another. The 14UB teams could be excluded from playing in the Regional/State Tournaments.

From the MN Hockey Handbook - Section VII

D. Interlevel Play - There shall be no interlevel play (games or scrimmages) between divisions (i.e. Peewee
vs. Bantam, 14U vs. 12U) or between classifications (A and B, B and C or A and C teams), with the
exception of Youth 16&Under and Junior Gold "B". In special circumstances where interlevel play between
classifications is appropriate, approval of the cognizant District Director(s) must be obtained. Interlevel
play is not permitted in invitational tournaments or MH playoff tournaments, with the exception that Youth
16&Under teams may participate in Junior Gold "B" invitational tournaments. Teams violating this provision
may be declared ineligible to compete in any MH sanctioned invitational tournaments and the MH district,
regional and state tournaments for the current season, and, in case of flagrant violations, for such further
period of time as the district director shall deem appropriate. House league and city recreational league
teams must be registered as C teams if they intend to play other teams outside of their hockey community.
District Directors may permit a B or C classification team from small cities or newly developed programs
to play in a higher classification league if there is no comparable classification league available.

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:25 am

Sounds like Highland may have dropped out. My daughter was looking forward to playing them. Bummer.

As far as this affecting 14B teams, I am sure the "special circumstances" clause could be invoked. If the mess that is 14B hockey this year isn't "special circumstances" I don't know what is. It's not like anyone would gain special advantage from Highland's participation, and the Highland girls are likely to have more fun playing against teams of a similar skill level.

As for state/regional tournaments, no 14B teams will be competing in a regional tournament this year as they are all in the same district. I hear whispers of a state tournament which may be held in Buffalo. Minnesota hockey is getting to be like the NHL. Play an entire season to eliminate 4 teams from the playoffs.

hockeyfan87

Post by hockeyfan87 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:18 am

luckyEPDad wrote: As far as this affecting 14B teams, I am sure the "special circumstances" clause could be invoked. If the mess that is 14B hockey this year isn't "special circumstances" I don't know what is. It's not like anyone would gain special advantage from Highland's participation, and the Highland girls are likely to have more fun playing against teams of a similar skill level.
I agree 100%, that District Directors and MN Hockey should apply some common sense to some of these situations.

I saw it happen last year up in a 14U tournament in Bemidji, nobody in MN hockey was willing to apply common sense and it left the tournament scrambling to find a team after a 14UB team was forced to pull out.

State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:40 am

hockeyfan87 wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote: As far as this affecting 14B teams, I am sure the "special circumstances" clause could be invoked. If the mess that is 14B hockey this year isn't "special circumstances" I don't know what is. It's not like anyone would gain special advantage from Highland's participation, and the Highland girls are likely to have more fun playing against teams of a similar skill level.
I agree 100%, that District Directors and MN Hockey should apply some common sense to some of these situations.

I saw it happen last year up in a 14U tournament in Bemidji, nobody in MN hockey was willing to apply common sense and it left the tournament scrambling to find a team after a 14UB team was forced to pull out.
It did? Refresh my memory.

hockeyfan87

Post by hockeyfan87 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:10 pm

State Champ 97 wrote:
hockeyfan87 wrote:

Sure, last season 2009-2010, Orono/Armstrong/Cooper had a 14UB team that had registered for a 14U tournament in Bemidji. The person that registered the team did not confirm what level the 14U tournament was. Months later, just a week or so before the tournament, they found out that all of the other teams registered were 14UA teams. Knowing this would violate the rules they attempted to get permission from their District and from MN hockey to play in this tournament. They were told if they in fact played against a 14UA team in Bemidji, they would no be allowed to play in the post season tournaments. That left the folks in Bemidji only a week or so to find a replacement team.

Puck Whisperer

Post by Puck Whisperer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:05 pm

luckyEPDad wrote:Sounds like Highland may have dropped out. My daughter was looking forward to playing them. Bummer.

As far as this affecting 14B teams, I am sure the "special circumstances" clause could be invoked. If the mess that is 14B hockey this year isn't "special circumstances" I don't know what is. It's not like anyone would gain special advantage from Highland's participation, and the Highland girls are likely to have more fun playing against teams of a similar skill level.

As for state/regional tournaments, no 14B teams will be competing in a regional tournament this year as they are all in the same district. I hear whispers of a state tournament which may be held in Buffalo. Minnesota hockey is getting to be like the NHL. Play an entire season to eliminate 4 teams from the playoffs.
Could not agree more - bummer for the girls! BTW great game last night :wink:

State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:16 pm

hockeyfan87 wrote:
State Champ 97 wrote:
hockeyfan87 wrote:

Sure, last season 2009-2010, Orono/Armstrong/Cooper had a 14UB team that had registered for a 14U tournament in Bemidji. The person that registered the team did not confirm what level the 14U tournament was. Months later, just a week or so before the tournament, they found out that all of the other teams registered were 14UA teams. Knowing this would violate the rules they attempted to get permission from their District and from MN hockey to play in this tournament. They were told if they in fact played against a 14UA team in Bemidji, they would no be allowed to play in the post season tournaments. That left the folks in Bemidji only a week or so to find a replacement team.
That's right. Warroad filled their spot. Forgot about that.

EZ

Post by EZ » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:27 pm

luckyEPDad wrote:

Take a look at the District 6 web site. Highland 14A tied EP 14A 1-1 on 1/22/11. They are a better team than you think.

iceglo

Post by iceglo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:49 am

Updated 14UB Brackets

Eden Prairie Red
Faribault

Edina
Thunder Bay Fury

Eden Prairie Black
Minneapolis Storm

Thunder Bay White Fury
OMG

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:27 pm

EZ wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote:

Take a look at the District 6 web site. Highland 14A tied EP 14A 1-1 on 1/22/11. They are a better team than you think.
That may have come off a bit condescending, but it wasn't meant that way. Highland did tie EP , but then two days later lost 7-0. They are by no means a bad team and quite possibly would have won the tournament. But it would have been a lot of fun. I'm tired of seeing the same teams at all the 14B tournaments.

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:32 pm

I would argue that Highland 14UA is a decent team, if not better. They tied EP and lost to Mtka recently by 1 goal. They have a couple of very good players and a strong netminder. I think they're improving and, while maybe not consistently in the upper echelon, could certainly surprise a team or two on a given night.

iceglo

Post by iceglo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:25 pm

sinbin wrote:I would argue that Highland 14UA is a decent team, if not better. They tied EP and lost to Mtka recently by 1 goal. They have a couple of very good players and a strong netminder. I think they're improving and, while maybe not consistently in the upper echelon, could certainly surprise a team or two on a given night.
Highland tied Edina Green 1 to 1 yesterday. Can you say sleeper for the playoffs?

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:12 pm

I think Highland is no longer a sleeper to EP, Edina, and Mtka.

iceglo

Post by iceglo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:48 pm

Championship Day in 14UA in the EP Tournament...

The top 4 ranked LPH teams are in the championship bracket:

#1 Wayzata
#2 Edina Green

#3 Eden Prairie
#4 Centennial Red

Will this be repeated in the state tournament finals this year, or will we see NWC Red or Roseau or ??? knock a few of these teams out?

iceglo

Post by iceglo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:05 pm

14UA Results

Semifinals

Wayzata 1, Edina Green 2 (OT/SO)
Eden Prairie 4, Centennial Red 1

Championship

Eden Prairie 3, Edina Green 2 (OT) (Championship)
Wayzata 4, Centennial Red 2 (Third Place)

sinbin

Post by sinbin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:19 pm

It will be interesting to see if the benches hold out for a few of these top teams or if the top 10 skaters run out of steam by season's end.

luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:17 pm

sinbin wrote:It will be interesting to see if the benches hold out for a few of these top teams or if the top 10 skaters run out of steam by season's end.
EP doesn't have much beyond 10. All skated pretty equally in the championship game against Edina. I watched Sibley valiantly fight off Wayzata for a while until their legs gave out (Sibley only had 10 skaters). Wayzata still looked fresh and took over the game at that point.

If you have 15 good skaters it doesn't make sense not to use them.

14B results:

EP Red over Faribault 3-0
Thunder Bay Fury over Edina 4-0
EP Black over Hopkins Storm 2-1
Thunder Bay White Fury over OMG 1-0

Thunder Bay Fury over EP Red 4-3
EP Black over Thunder Bay White Fury 7-1
OMG over Hopkins Storm 1-0
Edina over Faribault 3-0

Thunder Bay Fury over EP Black 4-0 (1st place)
EP Red over Thunder Bay White Fury 6-3 (3rd place)
Edina over OMG 3-2 (consolation)
Hopkins Storm over Faribault 7-0