12U Girls Hockey will never be the same....

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

luckyEPDad

Re: Girls Programs

Post by luckyEPDad »

An education program would just present the best information on the topic. For example, parents should not prevent girls from playing PW because of fear of injury. Girls hockey has a far higher percentage of concussions that boys hockey (year old USA Hockey magazine article). Obviously checking is not a main cause of concussion. Similar data could be presented for other kind of injury.

On the other side we would have to gather data to support or deny that playing PW hockey improves skill development. Fewer and fewer HS players are coming from boys programs. I think I know what the data would show, but I don't really know, and that is where parent education comes in.

The most important statistic would be retention. Are girls that play in boys programs more or less likely to stay in hockey? As a parent that and safety information are all I really care about. Is my kid going to be healthy and happy.

I wouldn't think the cost of gathering that kind of data would be too high.
NotEasyBeingGreen

Post by NotEasyBeingGreen »

spin-o-rama wrote:Edina doesn't have as many girls playing squirts this year when compared to years past. There are a few Edina girls playing Choice squirts.
Sorry, that's what I meant. The assumption was they were probably coming back to play U12 next year, and that that team might be pretty good. If they play Pee Wee, along with a couple of the returning U12s, they wouldn't be as good.
peterthepuck

Post by peterthepuck »

Did Edina U12 girls make it out of the Region? With all the girls who played with the boys during squirt? If they choose to go back since there is no checking, good for them. They most have developed so much better than all those girls who played U10 girls and not squirt boys. Especially since they dominated U12. I am sure once they play pee wees their next step will be the NHL. :lol:
NotEasyBeingGreen

Post by NotEasyBeingGreen »

Umm. No. Not talking about this year, though.
Phish12

Post by Phish12 »

It always amazes me when people come on here and try to shame others into doing something (don't let her play youth hockey because (a) it will ruin girls hockey, or (b) she will "steal" a boy's spot, etc.). Garbage. If you have a daughter who is talented, loves to play and works hard to develop her skills, put her where she will be challenged most. If your association is low on talented, dedicated girls, move to youth hockey. If you have strength on the girl's side or your daughter wants to play with the girl's team, keep her there. My daughter plays in a checking league all summer and loves it. She has played with the girls the past 3 years and has loved it. She played with the boys for several years before that and loved it. She loves hockey. She may play Pee Wees next year - whether they do away with checking or not. Her motivation: Playing great competition, both in practice and in games. She wants to play against other fast, skilled players, regardless of whether they have a pony tail or not. If we lived in Edina or somewhere where there were 14 other talented, dedicated girls at her age level, she'd probably choose to play girls. Because we don't, every other year we either consider moving her up or moving to youth hockey. Whatever is best for her. The girl's program has continued on just fine without her. The boy who she "beat out" usually had a much better year as the top player on a B team than the 15th player on an A team. Life goes on.
rinkrat11

Post by rinkrat11 »

Well put Phish and great points. It's not an easy topic nor "one size fits all". I have been involved with girls hockey for many years and respect the decisions parents make one way or the other. Some make sense and some don't but again "to each their own".
hornethockeymom

Post by hornethockeymom »

At the end of the day, the girls programs in many associations will suffer, and some will see no change.

There have been three girls who have played PeeWee's in Edina in the past four years that I am aware of. Two are now in High School, and one is playing currently. Many more played Squirts, but left when checking began. There is a gross misconception that the parents drive these girls to play with the boys. The three girls that I know all made the decision without pressure from their parents.

Interestingly, my Bantam played against three teams this year that had girls on them. They held their own just fine!!!!
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I saw a girl on Hudsons A pee-wee that was better than 50% of the kids on our team.{including my son]
pitbull

Post by pitbull »

luckyEPDad wrote:I pulled up the team rosters for Eden Prairie. At the mites level there are dozens of girls playing with boys. At the squirts level I found 3. At PW I couldn't find all the team rosters and I couldn't find any girls. In know when my daughter was that age there were 3.

In EP the big exodus is girls going into U10. Maybe the U8 and U6 programs aren't developed enough. It does not appear that girls switch over from boys hockey because they are afraid of checking.

I've often been told that EP's program is far from the norm. What do the numbers say for other associations?
:oops:

HEY lUCKY, YOU NEED TO BE IN TOUCH WITH YOUR ASSOCIATION! dO YOU KNOW THERE ARE A HAND FULL OF GIRLS FROM THE EP 12U A TEAM THAT WANT TO GO PLAY PEE WEE'S NEXT YEAR IF THE RULE CHANGES? nOT ONLY THE GIRLS BUT THE dAD'S THAT COACH THEM. nOT GOOD FOR THE GIRLS GAME OR PROGRAM. imo THE OLDER THE GIRLS GET THE MORE PHYSICAL THE GAME GETS, CHECKING OR NO CHECKING. iT'S PART OF THE GAME. tHE PARENTS THAT WANT TO ELIMINATE THE PHYSICAL PART OF THE GAME KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE GAME OR HAVE A DAUGHTER THAT CAN'T TAKE IT. tHOSE PARENTS SHOULD TRY TO FIND A GAME THAT FITS THEIR DAUGHTER THAN CHANGE HOCKEY.
mnhcp

Post by mnhcp »

pitbull wrote:
luckyEPDad wrote:I pulled up the team rosters for Eden Prairie. At the mites level there are dozens of girls playing with boys. At the squirts level I found 3. At PW I couldn't find all the team rosters and I couldn't find any girls. In know when my daughter was that age there were 3.

In EP the big exodus is girls going into U10. Maybe the U8 and U6 programs aren't developed enough. It does not appear that girls switch over from boys hockey because they are afraid of checking.

I've often been told that EP's program is far from the norm. What do the numbers say for other associations?

HEY lUCKY, YOU NEED TO BE IN TOUCH WITH YOUR ASSOCIATION! dO YOU KNOW THERE ARE A HAND FULL OF GIRLS FROM THE EP 12U A TEAM THAT WANT TO GO PLAY PEE WEE'S NEXT YEAR IF THE RULE CHANGES? nOT ONLY THE GIRLS BUT THE dAD'S THAT COACH THEM. nOT GOOD FOR THE GIRLS GAME OR PROGRAM. imo THE OLDER THE GIRLS GET THE MORE PHYSICAL THE GAME GETS, CHECKING OR NO CHECKING. iT'S PART OF THE GAME. tHE PARENTS THAT WANT TO ELIMINATE THE PHYSICAL PART OF THE GAME KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE GAME OR HAVE A DAUGHTER THAT CAN'T TAKE IT. tHOSE PARENTS SHOULD TRY TO FIND A GAME THAT FITS THEIR DAUGHTER THAN CHANGE HOCKEY.
Hey Pitbull, aren't you the one who made this preposterous statement "Instead they (EP) have 2 12u teams that are not competitve and moved girls up to play 14B." Is this an exaggeration again or is it a couple vs a handful you imply?
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

pitbull wrote: HEY lUCKY, YOU NEED TO BE IN TOUCH WITH YOUR ASSOCIATION! dO YOU KNOW THERE ARE A HAND FULL OF GIRLS FROM THE EP 12U A TEAM THAT WANT TO GO PLAY PEE WEE'S NEXT YEAR IF THE RULE CHANGES? nOT ONLY THE GIRLS BUT THE dAD'S THAT COACH THEM. nOT GOOD FOR THE GIRLS GAME OR PROGRAM. imo THE OLDER THE GIRLS GET THE MORE PHYSICAL THE GAME GETS, CHECKING OR NO CHECKING. iT'S PART OF THE GAME. tHE PARENTS THAT WANT TO ELIMINATE THE PHYSICAL PART OF THE GAME KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE GAME OR HAVE A DAUGHTER THAT CAN'T TAKE IT. tHOSE PARENTS SHOULD TRY TO FIND A GAME THAT FITS THEIR DAUGHTER THAN CHANGE HOCKEY.
Caps lock is on left side of your keyboard above shift.

This is always a possibility. There are a few girls who played with boys until 12's. Not sure how they could go back to PW as they'll be 14U next year. Nearly all the 12A's will be 14U next year. That hand full of girls must be a shop teacher's hand full. Missing a few.

EP has a bubble of talented girls that have been working their way through the youth system. Like a gas bubble this is sometimes painful and every year I hear about a few girls who are going to play squirt or PW or whatever because the teams are too big, or we have the wrong coach, or their isn't enough room on the A team. Bet that sounds familiar. Sometimes they go through with it, sometimes they don't. This potential change to the checking rule is unlikely to alter things much. There are always dad's who think their kids are getting a raw deal.
pitbull

Post by pitbull »

mnhcp wrote:
pitbull wrote:

Hey Pitbull, aren't you the one who made this preposterous statement "Instead they (EP) have 2 12u teams that are not competitve and moved girls up to play 14B." Is this an exaggeration again or is it a couple vs a handful you imply?

Yes I was and I stand by what I said. The 12 U A team was average at best and the 12 U B team did not win a handful of games. EP's 12 U A team consisted of half first years including 2 first year goalies. The core of the first year parents maintain they will make the jump if the rules changes. The parents were dissappointed at best with how the association dismantled the 12's to accommodate a few 14's.
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

pitbull wrote: Yes I was and I stand by what I said. The 12 U A team was average at best and the 12 U B team did not win a handful of games. EP's 12 U A team consisted of half first years including 2 first year goalies. The core of the first year parents maintain they will make the jump if the rules changes. The parents were disappointed at best with how the association dismantled the 12's to accommodate a few 14's.
Though I understand their anger I think it is misplaced. Four girls played up to 14U. None were forced. None of the girls were top players that were going to carry their team. One was practically a first year player, returning after a long (for her age) hiatus. None of the girls were goalies. I know the two who played with my daughter had a good time and showed a lot of improvement. I can't speak for the other 14B team.

Looking at rosters there were 30 skaters in EP 12U last season. Two teams of 15 skaters each. What would they have done with four more girls? Two teams of 11 and one of 12? Granted it would have worked out better with the three keepers, but that's a REALLY short bench.

At 14U there were 37 skaters. Two teams of 12 and one of 13. They too had 3 keepers. Take away the four 12U's and the choices are two teams with 16 to 17 skaters or three teams with 11 skaters.

Show me the good choice that works for everyone. Looking only at the numbers I would have had MORE girls play up. Move up six girls and the 12U's have 14 skaters a team and all the 14U's have 13. The 12's get more playing time and the 14's a slightly deeper bench, but the balance between first and second year players in 12U is thrown further off kilter. I think the girls coordinator showed restraint and good judgment.
FIRE*ON*ICE

Post by FIRE*ON*ICE »

luckyEPDad wrote:
pitbull wrote: HEY lUCKY, YOU NEED TO BE IN TOUCH WITH YOUR ASSOCIATION! dO YOU KNOW THERE ARE A HAND FULL OF GIRLS FROM THE EP 12U A TEAM THAT WANT TO GO PLAY PEE WEE'S NEXT YEAR IF THE RULE CHANGES? nOT ONLY THE GIRLS BUT THE dAD'S THAT COACH THEM. nOT GOOD FOR THE GIRLS GAME OR PROGRAM. imo THE OLDER THE GIRLS GET THE MORE PHYSICAL THE GAME GETS, CHECKING OR NO CHECKING. iT'S PART OF THE GAME. tHE PARENTS THAT WANT TO ELIMINATE THE PHYSICAL PART OF THE GAME KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE GAME OR HAVE A DAUGHTER THAT CAN'T TAKE IT. tHOSE PARENTS SHOULD TRY TO FIND A GAME THAT FITS THEIR DAUGHTER THAN CHANGE HOCKEY.
Caps lock is on left side of your keyboard above shift.
You should know Lucky! You sure spend a lot of time at the keyboard????

This is always a possibility. There are a few girls who played with boys until 12's. Not sure how they could go back to PW as they'll be 14U next year. Nearly all the 12A's will be 14U next year. That hand full of girls must be a shop teacher's hand full. Missing a few.

EP has a bubble of talented girls that have been working their way through the youth system. Like a gas bubble this is sometimes painful and every year I hear about a few girls who are going to play squirt or PW or whatever because the teams are too big, or we have the wrong coach, or their isn't enough room on the A team. Bet that sounds familiar. Sometimes they go through with it, sometimes they don't. This potential change to the checking rule is unlikely to alter things much. There are always dad's who think their kids are getting a raw deal.