Really???????????

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

ShakeMyHeadAlot

Really???????????

Post by ShakeMyHeadAlot »

This past weekend we were in Brainerd for the 14U tournament. Some very good, all-be-it physical games played during the weekend.

We witnessed something that does not belong in youth hockey, and I am hoping the associations involved, Buffalo and Brainerd, deal with the situation accordingly.

The first was a parent from the Buffalo 14U team, grabbing a girl from the Brainerd team as the girl was getting off the ice after the game, grabbing her helmet and proceed to berate the girl about her physical play including the line, "If you play like that against us again, we'll be sure to send our girls after you!"

This led to an altercation in the lobby between two dads in the lobby.

Come on people!!!

I spoke to a parent from Brainerd the next day, and he was dumbfounded about the whole situation, and his words to me were, "I hope that either the lady who grabbed our girl, or someone with a little common sense from Buffalo who witnessed it, will be adult enough to reach out and admit their role (or what they saw)."

When I asked this man about the girls who witnessed it he said that they were told by the association that in order to validate the issue, they needed adult witnesses. Do other associations require that??
hockeychopper

Post by hockeychopper »

Unbelieveable, but something that seems to be trending the wrong way when it comes to parent behavior. This is an extreme case but if things aren't done to deal with these types of issues, it will continue to happen and more often. In my opinion, these instances should ALL be investigated and it shouldn't matter if it's from a kid or adult. To me, it sounds as if this association needs to revisit their policies.
Benfishin

Must be something in the water in Buffalo

Post by Benfishin »

I witnessed the same bad behavior by a Buffalo A squirt parent this past weekend in Owatonna. The lady started screaming at a parent of another town after they got beat(fair and square) by another team. The lady continued to scream expletives starting with F at any person that would listen or was from this other town. All this with other parents and kids all around. I've been round the game a long time and never witnessed an individual like this or such childish behavior. I really feel bad for her kids. I'm sure there are really nice people in Buffalo but this was a complete embarassment to her, their team and their community!
UpNorthMom

Post by UpNorthMom »

Sometimes I wish people would get their phones out and record this stuff . . . document the problem and hopefully shame the parent into better behavior. Just a thought.
sinbin

Post by sinbin »

Are we in Minnesota getting as bad as the nasty stories we hear about and see on TV? Those kids must be so proud of their parents. The sad thing is, any one of those parents could read this post and still not see themselves in it.
SeirraFalcom

Post by SeirraFalcom »

sinbin wrote:Are we in Minnesota getting as bad as the nasty stories we hear about and see on TV? Those kids must be so proud of their parents. The sad thing is, any one of those parents could read this post and still not see themselves in it.
Totally agreed. Everyone thinks that it is bad and we can never go such ungodly things but in fact we need to look in ourselves, the locals the more. Minnesota needs a time constraint ruler now.
Cdale

Post by Cdale »

Buffalo....enough said. We all understand.
GatorLand

Post by GatorLand »

We have played Buffalo a couple of times for the last 4 years and have not had any problems.
Tornadoes 2003StateChamps

Post by Tornadoes 2003StateChamps »

GatorLand wrote:We have played Buffalo a couple of times for the last 4 years and have not had any problems.
The boys high school parents are just as spirited.
legalbeagle05

Re: Really???????????

Post by legalbeagle05 »

ShakeMyHeadAlot wrote:This past weekend we were in Brainerd for the 14U tournament. Some very good, all-be-it physical games played during the weekend.

We witnessed something that does not belong in youth hockey, and I am hoping the associations involved, Buffalo and Brainerd, deal with the situation accordingly.

The first was a parent from the Buffalo 14U team, grabbing a girl from the Brainerd team as the girl was getting off the ice after the game, grabbing her helmet and proceed to berate the girl about her physical play including the line, "If you play like that against us again, we'll be sure to send our girls after you!"

This led to an altercation in the lobby between two dads in the lobby.

Come on people!!!

I spoke to a parent from Brainerd the next day, and he was dumbfounded about the whole situation, and his words to me were, "I hope that either the lady who grabbed our girl, or someone with a little common sense from Buffalo who witnessed it, will be adult enough to reach out and admit their role (or what they saw)."

When I asked this man about the girls who witnessed it he said that they were told by the association that in order to validate the issue, they needed adult witnesses. Do other associations require that??
If an adult did this to anyone - adult or child - this is physical assault. Not to get all legal beagle on ya. But you can't just physically grab someone and shake them. It's a 14 year old kid.

And...it's supposed to be fun, remember?

Why I oughta...