U 12 A game last night

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

zambonidriver

U 12 A game last night

Post by zambonidriver » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:57 am

Played Edina Green last night. Great game won 2-1. Both teams played well.Great effort from both teams. Didn't think anything of but my daughter is usually the last person out of the locker room. Found out that after our last player had left the arena The coaches still had the kids in the locker room. We left the rink around 7:50 when the last parent from our team left. Thoughts?

jg2112

Re: U 12 A game last night

Post by jg2112 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:12 am

zambonidriver wrote:Played Edina Green last night. Great game won 2-1. Both teams played well.Great effort from both teams. Didn't think anything of but my daughter is usually the last person out of the locker room. Found out that after our last player had left the arena The coaches still had the kids in the locker room. We left the rink around 7:50 when the last parent from our team left. Thoughts?
Hey, that's a great result. Great job!

Are you saying the Edina coaches still had their kids in the locker room talking about the result?

That's the powerhouse Edina U12A team isn't it? I'm sure some egos were bruised that a team from the city could beat the mighty Hornets.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:25 am

jg2112 wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:Played Edina Green last night. Great game won 2-1. Both teams played well.Great effort from both teams. Didn't think anything of but my daughter is usually the last person out of the locker room. Found out that after our last player had left the arena The coaches still had the kids in the locker room. We left the rink around 7:50 when the last parent from our team left. Thoughts?

Are you saying the Edina coaches still had their kids in the locker room talking about the result?

That's the powerhouse Edina U12A team isn't it? I'm sure some egos were bruised that a team from the city could beat the mighty Hornets.
That's exactly what I am saying. Beat them with two of our kids being sick. eight skaters

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:34 am

zambonidriver wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

That's exactly what I am saying. Beat them with two of our kids being sick. eight skaters
Not surprising at all given the history of this coach. He's been called out numerous times over the years for ranting on the bench, favoring his own kids, etc. etc. Now, he's got the assistant whose known for the same behavior on the boys side for years. Be happy if your daughter isn't on this team. This team will collapse under the weight of it's coach's egos.

zambonidriver

U 12 A game last night

Post by zambonidriver » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:15 am

I have coached a long time. I don't get it with some people. They played hard we were just better last night. They out shot us but with 8 skaters we managed the game real well. My wife heard from some of the Edina parents that they shortened the bench too. I don't get it. I have learned over the years that on any given night you don't know who the hero will be. If you shorten the bench your hero might not get their moment.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:58 am

Finally, the seed of a thread where the Edina haters can come out.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:37 pm

Sorry but who played Edina Green and who won 2-1? Do the Green coaches you speak of also coach the Machine team(s) in the summer (AAA) season?

Thanks.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:51 pm

massalsa wrote:
Sorry but who played Edina Green and who won 2-1? Do the Green coaches you speak of also coach the Machine team(s) in the summer (AAA) season?

Thanks.
St. Paul I think they do.

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:34 pm

"Finally, the seed of a thread where the Edina haters can come out."

Just in time for playoffs :D :D :D

old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:35 pm

I hope FL plays them while the cake melts =D>

HockeyDad2015

Post by HockeyDad2015 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:04 am

You beat Edina in a meaningless game. Edina is very dangerous and I would not want to play them when it counts.
What happened in the Brainerd and Roseau games.
Brainerd and Roseau are really playing well right now. So I might give you a pass with those games. Problem is if you guys want to be taken seriously as a top team you have to beat both of those teams.

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:32 am

HockeyDad2015 wrote:You beat Edina in a meaningless game. Edina is very dangerous and I would not want to play them when it counts.
What happened in the Brainerd and Roseau games.
Brainerd and Roseau are really playing well right now. So I might give you a pass with those games. Problem is if you guys want to be taken seriously as a top team you have to beat both of those teams.
Jump in on a thread that's almost two weeks old with that??? Obviously, it's always a meaningless game when Edina loses. The OP wasn't beating his chest about the win. Zamboni was simply commenting on the fact that the poor 12 year old girls had to sit in the locker room and listen to the rantings of a middle aged lunatic coach.

HockeyDad2015

Post by HockeyDad2015 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:38 am

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't understand that zamboni was in their locker room. That was very nice of Blowby to let an opposing coach in their locker room after a game to see how edina talks to their 12 year old girls.
Maybe they were just going over what they could do better. Nice how we just jump to the conclusion that they were getting their ass chewed.

Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:41 am

HockeyDad2015 wrote:Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't understand that zamboni was in their locker room. That was very nice of Blowby to let an opposing coach in their locker room after a game to see how edina talks to their 12 year old girls.
Maybe they were just going over what they could do better. Nice how we just jump to the conclusion that they were getting their ass chewed.
His reputation is well-earned. Hopefully your daughter survives the season and doesn't get stuck waiting for his daughter to come off the ice. BTW, in fairness to Zamboni, he simply observed that they didn't come out of the locker room for a while. I embellished his view a bit. And I don't think he ever said he was the coach.

HockeyDad2015

Post by HockeyDad2015 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:57 am

I get Blowby is very arrogant, wouldn't you be a little bit to if your program is always in the discussion for being the best team in the state?
Trust me I'm not a Blowby apologist. I just get tired of all the Edina hatred, when really if we were all being truthful, we envy the success their program has a wish we had that too.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:32 am

HockeyDad2015 wrote:I get Blowby is very arrogant, wouldn't you be a little bit to if your program is always in the discussion for being the best team in the state?
Trust me I'm not a Blowby apologist. I just get tired of all the Edina hatred, when really if we were all being truthful, we envy the success their program has a wish we had that too.
Is the repeated misspelling intentional?

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:37 am

HockeyDad2015 wrote:I get Blowby is very arrogant, wouldn't you be a little bit to if your program is always in the discussion for being the best team in the state?
I can speak for myself. All scrimmages technically are meaningless. Though they are a necessity if all games were district games the kids would not develop like they have. As for the rankings they are nice but meaningless this year anybody can beat anyone else. You are right Edina has a strong program a lot of the criticism is brought on by themselves. I was at the State tournament game where the girls skated to the fans and pulled on their chest crests. That was on the coaches instructions I don't care who you are that is really classless and to tell your kids to do it takes it to a whole new level. Personally what are youth sports designed to do allow all kids the opportunity to preform. Yes we lost to Roseau twice. Both times with our number 2 Goalie who is pretty good and they were great games. against Brainerd we played our #1 goalie goal #1 deflection off a high stick. (I was told this buy a person at that end of the rink)
#2 shot that hit our defense and went in #3 empty net. Great game both teams are great teams and the bounces went their way.No excuses if you want to be the best you have to beat the best. I have been around sports a long time I firmly believe this, great teams win the games they are supposed to and then pull out the upsets. Just my two cents.
Last edited by zambonidriver on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HockeyDad2015

Post by HockeyDad2015 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:52 am

Very well put Zamboni!
I couldn't agree with you more.

Sorry jg2112, was typing fast.

lrugland

Post by lrugland » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:08 pm

zambonidriver wrote:Great game both teams are great teams and the bounces went their way.No excuses if you want to be the best you have to beat the best.
Well, I have to say that the 'bounces' did not go Roseaus way in your second game with them. I would also say that your #2 goalie did pretty well considering Roseau outshot you in that game. But those games dont matter and you want to develop all the players. Seems like a crazy comment when SP shortens the bench and Roseau keeps running all 3 lines to the end.

We all know that games are just games and 99% of these girls will not pay hockey much after HS - and some might not even play HS. Its posts like this that turn people into hockey haters and thats how programs lose players. There is a reason that Roseau has so many girls participating in hockey, we make sure they ALL love the game and play to have fun #1.

I hope all teams keep their players healthy. Roseau is out 4 players right now with Influenza A. Not a good time but thats how it goes. Hope they are back for the weekend.

lrugland

Post by lrugland » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:29 pm

Sorry for the rant, as thats not the type of person I am. BUT it gets old hearing from some people how none of the North teams are as good as the metro teams and they have to get lucky to beat them. We have had and continue to have great relationships with teams in the metro area. The Roseau girls always look forward to the trip down and the teams coming up here to play.

This year you can take 4 teams from our region and those teams would play with most all of the metro teams. Roseau, Brainerd, Warroad and TRF all have solid programs this year. All have played some great games with teams around the state and could beat anyone on any given day. This has not happened in a long time. It would be AWESOME to finally have 3 teams from the north be allowed into the State Tournament but that has never happened.

Once again, I am always happy to make the trip south and play my metro friends and a good ol game of hockey. The girls love it and the parents love the drive (ha ha said no north parent ever).......

Hope to see all of you in a few weeks. Good luck to everyone!

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:00 pm

lrugland wrote:Sorry for the rant, as thats not the type of person I am. BUT it gets old hearing from some people how none of the North teams are as good as the metro teams and they have to get lucky to beat them. We have had and continue to have great relationships with teams in the metro area. The Roseau girls always look forward to the trip down and the teams coming up here to play.

This year you can take 4 teams from our region and those teams would play with most all of the metro teams. Roseau, Brainerd, Warroad and TRF all have solid programs this year. All have played some great games with teams around the state and could beat anyone on any given day. This has not happened in a long time. It would be AWESOME to finally have 3 teams from the north be allowed into the State Tournament but that has never happened.

Once again, I am always happy to make the trip south and play my metro friends and a good ol game of hockey. The girls love it and the parents love the drive (ha ha said no north parent ever).......

Hope to see all of you in a few weeks. Good luck to everyone!
I am a northern boy and I love the fact that girls programs in the north are growing.
I am taking nothing away from your team well coached work hard sound defensively. That being said having grown up in section 8 Roseau and Warroad are the Edina and Hill Murray of the North. Everybody wants to beat you. State runner up last year is nothing to sneeze at. Hope to see you In EGF if we get there. Awful hard to beat a team 3 times. Good luck in districts and regions.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:27 am

lrugland wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:Great game both teams are great teams and the bounces went their way.No excuses if you want to be the best you have to beat the best.
Well, I have to say that the 'bounces' did not go Roseaus way in your second game with them. I would also say that your #2 goalie did pretty well considering Roseau outshot you in that game. But those games dont matter and you want to develop all the players. Seems like a crazy comment when SP shortens the bench and Roseau keeps running all 3 lines to the end.

We all know that games are just games and 99% of these girls will not pay hockey much after HS - and some might not even play HS. Its posts like this that turn people into hockey haters and thats how programs lose players. There is a reason that Roseau has so many girls participating in hockey, we make sure they ALL love the game and play to have fun #1.
I hope all teams keep their players healthy. Roseau is out 4 players right now with Influenza A. Not a good time but thats how it goes. Hope they are back for the weekend.
[/quote]Our coach didn't shorten the bench on purpose we had two girls recovering from the flu. We roll all of our kids when healthy granted we may move our kids around more but they all play equally unless they tell us they can't. If you would have heard some of the coughs on the bench you would have limited their playing time to.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:00 pm

Awful hard to beat a team 3 times.
Then Stillwater and Mahtomedi should have your number at districts.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:06 pm

InigoMontoya wrote:
Hope not that's why we play them right. Both really good teams got our butt kicked by Stillwater once already and Mahtomedi really scared us.
We have to get by Roseville first they have really improved.

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:38 pm

zambonidriver wrote:
InigoMontoya wrote:
Hope not that's why we play them right. Both really good teams got our butt kicked by Stillwater once already and Mahtomedi really scared us.
We have to get by Roseville first they have really improved.
Roseville, really? You guys are so much better than they. Take away Cece and your other top girl and you guys still beat them handily... (a tad shocked to hear you say that can you tell?..)