Understanding U14

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

zambonidriver

Understanding U14

Post by zambonidriver » Tue May 05, 2015 7:23 am

Can somebody help me understand how teams are supposed to be divided at the u-14 level? Is the equal A team rule a Minnesota hockey rule?

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Tue May 05, 2015 9:08 am

Everyone should play A, nobody should play B, everyone gets a trophy, all teams should be even so nobody feels bad. Exactly the opposite of what they do in the boys Bantams.

This can't be a Minnesota Hockey rule, can it?

Nevertoomuchhockey

Re: Understanding U14

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue May 05, 2015 9:09 am

zambonidriver wrote:Can somebody help me understand how teams are supposed to be divided at the u-14 level? Is the equal A team rule a Minnesota hockey rule?
No.
But more and more associations are going to parity among all teams at all or some levels and holding tryouts to make EVEN teams rather than AA, A, B, C teams, etc. This is great for keeping kids who may never make a top team still playing the game, or this is ruining the development of top players and resulting in mass association defections. Depending on who you ask!

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue May 05, 2015 9:49 am

frI from what I understand is that associations can choose to either have two A teams or an A and a B team. I think if you have two A teams they have to be equal. Am I right? and is this a MN Hockey rule?

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Tue May 05, 2015 10:10 am

zambonidriver wrote:frI from what I understand is that associations can choose to either have two A teams or an A and a B team. I think if you have two A teams they have to be equal. Am I right? and is this a MN Hockey rule?
http://www.d6hockey.net/standings/show/ ... son=192292

Edina Green was your state champion. Edina Green and Edina White two equal teams? You decide

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:14 am

zambonidriver wrote:frI from what I understand is that associations can choose to either have two A teams or an A and a B team. I think if you have two A teams they have to be equal. Am I right? and is this a MN Hockey rule?
They "have to be equal."

You could claim they're equal.

Have a look at the D2 standings and look at, let's say, MV/I and Roseville's U14 teams.

The teams were stacked, which was the right call. Equality is a nice idea, but if you have potential varsity kids on your team it's a terrible thing to do to them.

Best bet for a good goalie is to play Bantams. Due to talent drain (the best going to the Varsity), I would suspect the quality of competition is higher at Bantam B (even including AA) than U14A, particularly for a goalie who needs to see shots.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Tue May 05, 2015 10:23 am

Or two B teams.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Tue May 05, 2015 2:02 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
Or two B teams.
Which is a little confusing, as there are B1 and B2 distinctions...

greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:20 pm

Equal teams is not a Mn Hockey rule, it can be a district rule or an association policy.. Would be a good policy at the B2 or C level