u 14- or high school?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:34 am

Lace'emUp wrote:
Mavs wrote:Hearing NE Metro might be the team on the east to compete with the Edina, Minnetonka, Wayzata on the west. Apparently several older kids stayed back vs playing high school. Their goalie is apparently really good and a Sophomore. Tartan and North St. Paul combined at high school which eliminated a lot of high school spots plus NE Metro gets Hill Murray kids. Will be one of the few teams not 8th grade based and have plenty of 9th and 10th.

North- Roseau, Brainerd and Duluth?
I will check back around mid-Jan to see if this team holds up to their fast early start.
This NE Metro team also has Mounds View's only varsity caliber 8th grade player, who waivered in for the year (MV only has a 15B team this year).

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:26 pm

jg2112 wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:
Mavs wrote:Hearing NE Metro might be the team on the east to compete with the Edina, Minnetonka, Wayzata on the west. Apparently several older kids stayed back vs playing high school. Their goalie is apparently really good and a Sophomore. Tartan and North St. Paul combined at high school which eliminated a lot of high school spots plus NE Metro gets Hill Murray kids. Will be one of the few teams not 8th grade based and have plenty of 9th and 10th.

North- Roseau, Brainerd and Duluth?
I will check back around mid-Jan to see if this team holds up to their fast early start.
This NE Metro team also has Mounds View's only varsity caliber 8th grade player, who waivered in for the year (MV only has a 15B team this year).
They beat Cottage Grove, Andover, Anoka and Eagan so far and maybe others.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Fri May 20, 2016 12:27 pm

observer wrote:In almost all instances U14 is a better choice. In ideal situations HS hockey starts in 10th grade.
70 of the 102 8th and 9th graders attending the HP15 Summer Camp played high school hockey.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Fri May 20, 2016 2:09 pm

InigoMontoya wrote:
observer wrote:In almost all instances U14 is a better choice. In ideal situations HS hockey starts in 10th grade.
70 of the 102 8th and 9th graders attending the HP15 Summer Camp played high school hockey.
I bet the 32 were all either from huge schools (Edina, Wayzata, Minnetonka, Stillwater, Maple Grove) or private schools that maybe don't start until 9th grade. (Brainerd that dropped the JV program)

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:29 pm

what does the large number of 8th grade girls skating varsity or JV this year say about the state of girls hockey. Was there a lull in the numbers at the 9th and 10th grade level and a strong 8th grade class or is this an overall dip in girls hockey? Seems like more numbers coming up at U12 and U10 level.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:19 pm

goaliedad31 wrote:what does the large number of 8th grade girls skating varsity or JV this year say about the state of girls hockey. Was there a lull in the numbers at the 9th and 10th grade level and a strong 8th grade class or is this an overall dip in girls hockey? Seems like more numbers coming up at U12 and U10 level.
I have looked at the MSHSL site. There are over 400 (yes I counted) middle schoolers playing high school hockey. I don't think this is good overall. 40 or so are 7th graders.

There are the obvious few players where this makes sense - they're on varsity and contributing. There are other situations where the HS team won't exist without pulling up young players. Simley has 17 middle schoolers on the roster. Hibbing has 10. They are needed.

Other situations, though? I think it's a combination of a lack of numbers and a desire for many parents to stop paying huge ice bills. Cost and time considerations always weigh in favor of HS hockey.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:41 pm

jg2112 wrote:
goaliedad31 wrote:what does the large number of 8th grade girls skating varsity or JV this year say about the state of girls hockey. Was there a lull in the numbers at the 9th and 10th grade level and a strong 8th grade class or is this an overall dip in girls hockey? Seems like more numbers coming up at U12 and U10 level.
I have looked at the MSHSL site. There are over 400 (yes I counted) middle schoolers playing high school hockey. I don't think this is good overall. 40 or so are 7th graders.

There are the obvious few players where this makes sense - they're on varsity and contributing. There are other situations where the HS team won't exist without pulling up young players. Simley has 17 middle schoolers on the roster. Hibbing 10. They are needed.

Other situations, though? I think it's a combination of a lack of numbers and a desire for many parents to stop paying huge ice bills. Cost and time considerations always weigh in favor of HS hockey.
Are you saying there are over 360 eighth graders playing HS hockey?

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:00 pm

For every program that has one 12U but no 15U team, there will be 7 or 8 girls that play 12 in 7th grade and high school in 8th grade.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:21 pm

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

There are the obvious few players where this makes sense - they're on varsity and contributing. There are other situations where the HS team won't exist without pulling up young players. Simley has 17 middle schoolers on the roster. Hibbing 10. They are needed.

That's what I'm saying. There are 378 8th graders listed in the MSHSL website data. Keep in mind that's both varsity and junior varsity.

Out of the 117 girls teams, 24 do not have a middle schooler.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:54 pm

jg2112 wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

That's what I'm saying. There are 378 8th graders listed in the MSHSL website data. Keep in mind that's both varsity and junior varsity.

Out of the 117 girls teams, 24 do not have a middle schooler.

However, there are 130 schools in class A and about 109 schools playing in AA....With 240 schools supplying players, the 360-400 numbers become less than 2 per school, in a sport that allows participation in the 7-12 grades for a varsity sport, those numbers are not large.