Stat of the Day - 6/26/15

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

jg2112

Stat of the Day - 6/26/15

Post by jg2112 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:39 am

Apropos of nothing, so we have something to chat about on the board -

There is a girls AAA team called the MN 03s. They are a fabulous team, full of speed and skill, most are rising 7th graders. They've played a number of U14 tourneys this year and have won most of them. Most of the girls pair playing with the 03s with another AAA team (Machine Orange, Miracle Gold, O/S).

Those girls are playing out in Rochester, NY this weekend. Since March? Their teams have played in St. Cloud (Selects), Chicago, Duluth, Winnipeg, and now New York.

My stat of the day: Since March 17, these gals have played between 55-60 games and scrimmages. Add in practices and 3 v 3 leagues, and they have been on the ice an estimated 90 of the past 115 days. Both, to me, are astonishing numbers (not good, not bad, just astonishing).

zambonidriver

Re: Stat of the Day - 6/26/15

Post by zambonidriver » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:48 am

jg2112 wrote:Apropos of nothing, so we have something to chat about on the board -

There is a girls AAA team called the MN 03s. They are a fabulous team, full of speed and skill, most are rising 7th graders. They've played a number of U14 tourneys this year and have won most of them. Most of the girls pair playing with the 03s with another AAA team (Machine Orange, Miracle Gold, O/S).

Those girls are playing out in Rochester, NY this weekend. Since March? Their teams have played in St. Cloud (Selects), Chicago, Duluth, Winnipeg, and now New York.

My stat of the day: Since March 17, these gals have played between 55-60 games and scrimmages. Add in practices and 3 v 3 leagues, and they have been on the ice an estimated 90 of the past 115 days. Both, to me, are astonishing numbers (not good, not bad, just astonishing).
they are really good probably will be the team that goes to Europe. Coached by Jay Lindsey. They are developing really well. They have played in the lower tier 14 tournaments. They were in the os spring league and did a good job. They are playing at their age level in Rochester and should win it. They are also playing at their age level in the Os shootout which will be interesting being their top goalie is on the 02-03 OS selects team.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:01 am

zambonidriver wrote:
jg2112 wrote:Apropos of nothing, so we have something to chat about on the board -

they are really good probably will be the team that goes to Europe. Coached by Jay Lindsey. They are developing really well. They have played in the lower tier 14 tournaments. They were in the os spring league and did a good job. They are playing at their age level in Rochester and should win it. They are also playing at their age level in the Os shootout which will be interesting being their top goalie is on the 02-03 OS selects team.
They played in the O/S Spring League?

That means they've played 63-71 games and scrimmages since March 17.

They are indeed a fabulous team. I hope they don't burn out. That's a lot of games in a 3 month period for rising 6th-7th graders.

Maybe when the 03s play the 02/03 Selects the two teams' three goalies can each play 2 periods, with the goalie on both teams getting one period for each team.

And in regard to your comment about the team that goes to Europe......so much for tryouts for that, heh? I guess I don't need to drop $100 to have my daughter try out if the team is already picked.....

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:48 am

jg2112 wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:

They played in the O/S Spring League?

That means they've played 63-71 games and scrimmages since March 17.

They are indeed a fabulous team. I hope they don't burn out. That's a lot of games in a 3 month period for rising 6th-7th graders.

Maybe when the 03s play the 02/03 Selects the two teams' three goalies can each play 2 periods, with the goalie on both teams getting one period for each team.

And in regard to your comment about the team that goes to Europe......so much for tryouts for that, heh? I guess I don't need to drop $100 to have my daughter try out if the team is already picked.....
I wouldn't say that Your daughter is a hell of a player. I found that the tryouts were very fair and the best players were picked. There were also kids who did not accept their invitations. Though the alternates were not informed until February. Your daughter should make it easy. For as good as that 03 team is they couldn't beat the 01-02 b and c teams in spring league. Next time I see you I will tell you the story about those games

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:10 pm

insane

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:22 pm

What I have been told is that those that crazy over-train early get ahead early but at the end of the day (high school) the best athletes rise to the top and pass the hockey focused one sport athletes.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:21 am

I've seen a number of posts saying once these young kids obtain elite status, they tend to stick - deserved or not.

zambonidriver

Naps Rochester NY

Post by zambonidriver » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:35 am

03 went out east and won NAPS Tourney last weekend.

Mavs

Re: Naps Rochester NY

Post by Mavs » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:28 pm

zambonidriver wrote:03 went out east and won NAPS Tourney last weekend.
Were they tested or did they walk through it with ease?

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:05 pm

Mavs wrote:insane
Did Viktor Tikhonov come back from the dead to run this program? The bar has been official set for any 11 or 12 year old girl who even dreams at a chance to play for the 2022 Olympic team. I wonder what the 2018 Olympic players are doing to prepare? (or what they did do)
Whatever it is or was, it comes nothing close to what these girls are doing.

zambonidriver

Re: Naps Rochester NY

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:37 am

Mavs wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:03 went out east and won NAPS Tourney last weekend.
Were they tested or did they walk through it with ease?
looks like they handled it with ease.

zambonidriver

Credit to Jay Lindsey

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:40 am

I have to give credit to The 03 coach he has really pushed them. He has girls from all over and they are learning a lot. Some great experience for those girls. He has been able to blend all these games in with the girls other stuff.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:50 am

Lace'emUp wrote:
Did Viktor Tikhonov come back from the dead to run this program? The bar has been official set for any 11 or 12 year old girl who even dreams at a chance to play for the 2022 Olympic team. I wonder what the 2018 Olympic players are doing to prepare? (or what they did do)
Playing 80 games in 3 months at age 12 might get them on the Olympic team. Then again, it might not.

The kids playing roller hockey right now on hot summer days, the kids working on their strength and agility every day, the girls in the backyard shooting 100 goals (not shots) a day on their goal in the driveway, have every bit as much as a chance as these girls to pull on the USA jersey.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:03 am

jg2112 wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:
Playing 80 games in 3 months at age 12 might get them on the Olympic team. Then again, it might not.

The kids playing roller hockey right now on hot summer days, the kids working on their strength and agility every day, the girls in the backyard shooting 100 goals (not shots) a day on their goal in the driveway, have every bit as much as a chance as these girls to pull on the USA jersey.
Having had an older girl who went through the national process talent and hard work will get you a long way but also as important is networking. If the National team was truly about winning there would be a majority of Minnesota kids on the teams. My younger daughter has played on a couple of regional teams coached by non-Minnesotans and the recurring theme is the best female hockey is here. If you look at the rosters of the national team you will see that usually some of the best players don't make the team. Last Olympics great example. Hannah Brandt was cut and Julie (bounty) Chu made it. I have also seen how D1 operates. Their are better hockey players playing in the MIAC than on some of the D1 schools out east. If I were a national team coach or a D1 coach I would load my team up with as many Minnesotans as possible.
WSI World invite
Team MN 2nd place
Naps Rochester
02 machine second
03 MN champions

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:11 am

Is there a roster somewhere for these kids?

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:16 am

goaliedad31 wrote:Is there a roster somewhere for these kids?
Went to the Naps website but there wasn't one.
The Machine Orange roster is fluid.
Team MN World Selects invite is at www.legacyglobalsports.com/team minnesota.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:34 am

The MN03s played in the Border Battle (Wisconsin Blaze AAA website) at the U14 level. I think the roster is listed there.

Machine Orange 02 has a pool of 20-25 skaters from which they pick their players.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:37 am

jg2112 wrote:
The MN03s played in the Border Battle (Wisconsin Blaze AAA website) at the U14 level. I think the roster is listed there.

Machine Orange 02 has a pool of 20-25 skaters from which they pick their players.
Machine goalie is from Chicago

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:37 am

zambonidriver wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:

Having had an older girl who went through the national process talent and hard work will get you a long way but also as important is networking. If the National team was truly about winning there would be a majority of Minnesota kids on the teams. My younger daughter has played on a couple of regional teams coached by non-Minnesotans and the recurring theme is the best female hockey is here. If you look at the rosters of the national team you will see that usually some of the best players don't make the team. Last Olympics great example. Hannah Brandt was cut and Julie (bounty) Chu made it. I have also seen how D1 operates. Their are better hockey players playing in the MIAC than on some of the D1 schools out east. If I were a national team coach or a D1 coach I would load my team up with as many Minnesotans as possible.
WSI World invite
Team MN 2nd place
Naps Rochester
02 machine second
03 MN champions
Agreed on networking. The girls need an advocate. The 03s are one great option, so is O/S.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:47 am

jg2112 wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:

WSI World invite
Team MN 2nd place
Naps Rochester
02 machine second
03 MN champions
Agreed on networking. The girls need an advocate. The 03s are one great option, so is O/S.
Hard to believe but the process has already started with our youngest. Winny is a huge piece of this she truly wants every one of her girls to go play somewhere after high school. The East coast schools are very biased about the prep schools and recruiting Canadians. Our older girl played 4 years at Union and commented to us after she was done that her High School team could have beaten the team that she played on her Junior and Senior years. I know I am smoking crack here but if you could put together a true MN allstar team for every age level I could almost guarantee that they could go out east and play up two age levels and win pretty easily what ever tournament they entered.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:13 am

zambonidriver wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:

WSI World invite
Team MN 2nd place
Naps Rochester
02 machine second
03 MN champions
Hard to believe but the process has already started with our youngest. Winny is a huge piece of this she truly wants every one of her girls to go play somewhere after high school. The East coast schools are very biased about the prep schools and recruiting Canadians. Our older girl played 4 years at Union and commented to us after she was done that her High School team could have beaten the team that she played on her Junior and Senior years. I know I am smoking crack here but if you could put together a true MN allstar team for every age level I could almost guarantee that they could go out east and play up two age levels and win pretty easily what ever tournament they entered.
The fact that the process has begun for the girls is very intimidating. My daughter doesn't even start middle school for another 2 months.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:49 am

jg2112 wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
Lace'emUp wrote:

WSI World invite
Team MN 2nd place
Naps Rochester
02 machine second
03 MN champions
The fact that the process has begun for the girls is very intimidating. My daughter doesn't even start middle school for another 2 months.
That's why Winny's futures camp is so nice prepares girls for the process.

Pucksnprayers

Post by Pucksnprayers » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:02 pm

jg2112 wrote:

Team Minnesota 2003's (MN3's) is an Allstar team for the whole state of Minnesota at the 2003 birth year.

I've seen them play a few times this spring. A nice team that seems to be managed exceptionally well.
Impact players I noticed,
Jungles, a nice player with the hockey sense.
Haag, speed.
Roberts, hockey sense, speed, great hands, great play maker and has size.
Solid Goalies as well. Several fun kids to watch and all very skilled.

Will be fun to watch this team grow.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:53 pm

I wonder if I can take out a hockey equity loan to pay for OS Prospects and Futures, that I can guarantee to pay back in lieu of college tuition when dd gets the big scholarship?
The process isn't nearly as intimidating as the costs.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:03 pm

And a random comment more to the thread topic - we watched the 02 Machine in Blaine this weekend. They won the two games we saw, but just barely. Seemed to only play to the level of their competition and very inconsistent. (Nice warm up though. Not. A little arrogant IMO.) I think OS and some other big time programs have taken the shine off the MN Made legacy. And as an aside, I mentioned somewhere else that when I've taken notice of a great young skater this summer, they seem to all be at Blake. Another "universal" if you will, both during the high school and off season AAA tourneys - when we've noticed a player making cheap shots on the boards or dirty elbows in the crease, it seems they all came up from Machine.

This should be a fun fire starter topic.