U15

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

TheMayor

Post by TheMayor » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:41 am

InigoMontoya wrote:
Mavs wrote:What if Minnesota Hockey allowed U15 teams to play in 15A leagues (take their lumps) and play in 15B tournaments and then play 15B come playoffs?

The reason many don't play B is they can't find a league to play in. What if A2 teams played in an A league (if they can't find a B) but are called A2/B and then allowed to play B tournaments and then drop down to B for playoffs.

Would this allow more teams to play B?

Not sure if its allowed but throwing it out there
They do.
Not really. An A2 team cannot drop down to B for the playoffs. If they intend to play B they need to play in the B league for the season. They are welcome, as a B team, to play some A teams during the season, but they are required to play a B schedule if they want to play in the B playoffs.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:14 am

Do you think any teams will eliminate JV programs due to the U15 change?

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:42 am

Mavs wrote:Do you think any teams will eliminate JV programs due to the U15 change?
Many already have.
A better question would be: was 15U a one-and-done?

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:51 am

InigoMontoya wrote:
Mavs wrote:Do you think any teams will eliminate JV programs due to the U15 change?
Many already have.
Very good question

Which teams have eliminated JV? Was it just this year or previously?

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:05 am

InigoMontoya wrote:
Many already have.
Wrong...not so

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:08 am

Some thoughts on high school hockey (V or JV) vs association (U15)

The cost difference between association and HS hockey is significant in some cases. ESPECIALLY when you look at the extra expenses of out of town tournaments (hotel/meals/transportation).

Another advantage for HS Varsity or JV is that there is generally a more regular schedule for ice time (which potentially allows for better homework time, better family meal times, and in almost every case I am aware of much earlier practice/game times which would mean less late school nights as a result of hockey). Zero sunday hockey is also a significant advantage for HS to many.

Less games for V/JV (max of 25 games in regular season) vs association but is also a shorter season.

What am I forgetting?

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:46 am

I am told Brainerd eliminated JV this year. No clue if this rule had anything to do with it or not but now makes sense why they went with two even teams as they have 15 JV players without a home and good enough to play U15A hockey

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:49 am

massalsa wrote:Some thoughts on high school hockey (V or JV) vs association (U15)

The cost difference between association and HS hockey is significant in some cases. ESPECIALLY when you look at the extra expenses of out of town tournaments (hotel/meals/transportation).

Another advantage for HS Varsity or JV is that there is generally a more regular schedule for ice time (which potentially allows for better homework time, better family meal times, and in almost every case I am aware of much earlier practice/game times which would mean less late school nights as a result of hockey). Zero sunday hockey is also a significant advantage for HS to many.

Less games for V/JV (max of 25 games in regular season) vs association but is also a shorter season.

What am I forgetting?
My arguments in favor of JV:

1) Only 25 games from November - end of January is just fine. Youth associations play too many games in too short a timeframe. Weekend youth tournaments force kids to play 2 games on 3 hours rest in many circumstances, which is absurd and dangerous.

2) You probably have a non-parent coach, which can be very, very good. On the girls side you may very well have a well-known player. Meghan Lorence is coaching at Mounds View, and Kate Flug is coaching at Roseville this year.

3) You're probably being provided consistent off-ice training. Some associations don't have dryland facilities - some have to schedule time elsewhere.

4) The more consistent after-school schedule, and lack of weekend activities, allows for more pond hockey, which is really where you get better.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:56 am

Mavs wrote:I am told Brainerd eliminated JV this year. No clue if this rule had anything to do with it or not but now makes sense why they went with two even teams as they have 15 JV players without a home and good enough to play U15A hockey
Brainerd is not the only high school team that had no JV, but had an association field a 15U this year.

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:39 am

jg2112 wrote:
massalsa wrote:Some thoughts on high school hockey (V or JV) vs association (U15)

What am I forgetting?

1) Only 25 games from November - end of January is just fine. Youth associations play too many games in too short a timeframe. Weekend youth tournaments force kids to play 2 games on 3 hours rest in many circumstances, which is absurd and dangerous.

2) You probably have a non-parent coach, which can be very, very good. On the girls side you may very well have a well-known player. Meghan Lorence is coaching at Mounds View, and Kate Flug is coaching at Roseville this year.

3) You're probably being provided consistent off-ice training. Some associations don't have dryland facilities - some have to schedule time elsewhere.

4) The more consistent after-school schedule, and lack of weekend activities, allows for more pond hockey, which is really where you get better.
In Brainerd's case, would anyone blame the families for not playing 15UA in lieu of JV? If you look Brainerd 15A schedules, between both teams they only had ONE game during the week. One. All other games were on Friday, Saturdays, or Sundays. The HS team had 15 games on either on a Tuesday or Thursday night, with 8 of them being road games. Of those 8 road games, the shortest round trip was a 2 hour drive. Longest was almost 5 hours. In all, they averaged between 2-1/2 to 3 hours round trip. So if you take one bus to both the JV and varsity games, they would not return back to the school until at least 10pm on the shortest route, and up toward 11-11:30pm for the longest trip. And that's just getting back to school, not home in bed.

Of the arguments above for JV, I agree on the number of games. Some youth teams play too many. But regarding tournaments, kids can handle 2 games in one day. It's been going on since the dawn of hockey. In Brainerd's case, the 15A teams can make their own schedules and play in weekend tournaments of their choice. The tournaments they choose, for the most part, will dictate the degree of difficulty in opponents they play. At JV, you're forced to play the JV team scheduled opposite of varsity. There are some really bad JV teams out there (look at Totino Grace as an in-city example).

Coaching is relative. There are many non-parent 15UA coaches. Some are very good, some are not. Same at JV. Some are good, some are not. Same goes for dryland. Many bigger schools do not have dedicated dryland facilities. Some do. In most cases, the HS and youth teams share the dryland facility if they have one. I 100% agree with you on the after school practice schedule. Nothing can beat that. It's the weekday games and travel times for out-state schools that suck (as discussed above).

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:44 am

Lace'emUp wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

What am I forgetting?

In Brainerd's case, would anyone blame the families for not playing 15UA in lieu of JV? If you look Brainerd 15A schedules, between both teams they only had ONE game during the week. One. All other games were on Friday, Saturdays, or Sundays. The HS team had 15 games on either on a Tuesday or Thursday night, with 8 of them being road games. Of those 8 road games, the shortest round trip was a 2 hour drive. Longest was almost 5 hours. In all, they averaged between 2-1/2 to 3 hours round trip. So if you take one bus to both the JV and varsity games, they would not return back to the school until at least 10pm on the shortest route, and up toward 11-11:30pm for the longest trip. And that's just getting back to school, not home in bed.

Of the arguments above for JV, I agree on the number of games. Some youth teams play too many. But regarding tournaments, kids can handle 2 games in one day. It's been going on since the dawn of hockey. In Brainerd's case, the 15A teams can make their own schedules and play in weekend tournaments of their choice. The tournaments they choose, for the most part, will dictate the degree of difficulty in opponents they play. At JV, you're forced to play the JV team scheduled opposite of varsity. There are some really bad JV teams out there (look at Totino Grace as an in-city example).

Coaching is relative. There are many non-parent 15UA coaches. Some are very good, some are not. Same at JV. Some are good, some are not. Same goes for dryland. Many bigger schools do not have dedicated dryland facilities. Some do. In most cases, the HS and youth teams share the dryland facility if they have one. I 100% agree with you on the after school practice schedule. Nothing can beat that. It's the weekday games and travel times for out-state schools that suck (as discussed above).
Very good out-state perspective. Thank you

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:11 am

Who will win it at U15A?

Edina? Anoka? Minnetonka? Rochester? Wayzata? OMG?

NWC, GR, Roseau?
NE Metro?

Surprise team?

I will say Edina, Anoka, Roseau and Rochester in the final four

Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:41 am

Mavs wrote:Who will win it at U15A?

Edina? Anoka? Minnetonka? Rochester? Wayzata? OMG?

NWC, GR, Roseau?
NE Metro?

Surprise team?

I will say Edina, Anoka, Roseau and Rochester in the final four
Edina and Anoka would be the favorites in the final. Anything less will be an upset.

In the Olympic Region who knows between Proctor/Hermantown, Grand Rapids, Brainerd Blue, Brainerd White, and Roseau. All 5 seem fairly equal. But they're playing it in Duluth, so maybe they can some how squeeze out the 2nd seed on the back side. Very unlikely, but that would be your dark horse to make state. I'll go with Grand Rapids as the winner, with Brainerd Blue on the back side for the 2nd seed.

In the American Region, Anoka will win it. Centennial or Forest Lake would have to make it on the back side. The bottom half of the bracket is wide open. OMG, NE Metro, Andover, and Wayzata can all beat each other on any given day. I'll say Wayzata will take 2nd, and somehow Centennial pulls it out on the back side for the #3 seed.

Similarly in the National Region, Edina will win it. CG or EP would have to make it on the back side. NWC, Tonka, Rochester, and Buffalo can all beat each other on any given day on the bottom half of the bracket. So I'll say Tonka will take 2nd (half of their losses are against Edina), then NWC on the back side for the 3rd seed.

Yogi17

Post by Yogi17 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:09 am

caught a few games in blaine, not many surprises (Anoka, Wayzata).
Monticello looked fun with many close games.

EruzioneScores

Post by EruzioneScores » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:37 am

Also watched a handful of games in Blaine. Anoka looked good. Probably the biggest surprise was OMG. Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a team so snake-bit to score. I saw their game against NE Metro, and I think the shots on goal were 55-9. The NE Metro goalie was very good, but many of those shots were point-blank to almost open nets. They somehow lost 3-2. I heard the same thing happened to them later against Forest Lake to knock them out of the tournament. Their players, coaches, and parents couldn't have slept much on Saturday night.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:08 am

EruzioneScores wrote:Also watched a handful of games in Blaine. Anoka looked good. Probably the biggest surprise was OMG. Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a team so snake-bit to score. I saw their game against NE Metro, and I think the shots on goal were 55-9. The NE Metro goalie was very good, but many of those shots were point-blank to almost open nets. They somehow lost 3-2. I heard the same thing happened to them later against Forest Lake to knock them out of the tournament. Their players, coaches, and parents couldn't have slept much on Saturday night.
Does OMG have a lot of older kids? Their 12A was okay last year but 55 shots on NE Metro would suggest they are really good unless NE Metro had the flu. NEM isn't close to the same level as Edina, Anoka, etc but they are a top 10 team so to throttle a top 10 team would be hard by anyone. Do both Osseo and Maple Grove have JV programs?

EruzioneScores

Post by EruzioneScores » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:13 am

They are a good team. I know they beat Wayzata for their district championship last week. I talked to an OMG parent who made it sound like that was kinda how their whole season was. Outplay teams but not able to put the puck in the net, and sometimes give up soft goals on the other end. I know they dominated that game against NE Metro. The entire crowd that I was standing around was in shock they lost.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:30 am

Hockey isn't a very forgiving game if your goaltender doesn't outplay the other goaltender. The great equalizer is the net minder...both good and bad

Yogi17

Post by Yogi17 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:12 pm

NW winning sunday put the top 3 teams in the lower bracket for state.
That's crazy, but I guess you never know.

observer

Post by observer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:24 am

North Wright County in both the 15A and 15B State Tournaments is quite the feat.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:21 am

observer wrote:North Wright County in both the 15A and 15B State Tournaments is quite the feat.
How many 15B teams were there this year?

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:35 am

InigoMontoya wrote:
observer wrote:North Wright County in both the 15A and 15B State Tournaments is quite the feat.
How many 15B teams were there this year?
I don't think there were more than 12-15.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:04 am

Championship game is Roseau vs Anoka-Rogers or Edina

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:08 am

Edina beats Anoka-Rogers 1-0

Edina vs Roseau for the championship at U15A

hockeychopper

U15's 2016-17

Post by hockeychopper » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:59 am

Did the U15 experiment work last year and do folks think this level will be more or less competitive than a year ago? Other than the top 4-6 teams there really weren't many "top" tier teams. Thoughts?