Girls Hockey is Growing!

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:10 am

let them get more games and shifts with the youth program
Should the girls play high school hockey at all? It sounds like they're better off playing 19U.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:40 am

InigoMontoya wrote:
Should the girls play high school hockey at all? It sounds like they're better off playing 19U.
U15 quality is (can be) better than JV, more games, etc. Obviously, varsity is very good hockey. The quality of practices is probably even more important. Some JV programs may be varsity like in practices and others maybe not.

The top players likely play a lot of spring/fall games so lack of games really isn't a problem in the grand scheme. That said, 45 U15 games might be better than 20 JV games but each situation is different so its hard to make broad generalizations.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:22 am

Mavs wrote:
InigoMontoya wrote:
U15 quality is (can be) better than JV, more games, etc. Obviously, varsity is very good hockey. The quality of practices is probably even more important. Some JV programs may be varsity like in practices and others maybe not.

The top players likely play a lot of spring/fall games so lack of games really isn't a problem in the grand scheme. That said, 45 U15 games might be better than 20 JV games but each situation is different so its hard to make broad generalizations.
The argument is all chicken or the egg, isn't it? Many associations take the best 8th and 9th graders for JV / Varsity to fill spots. If you want your daughter, like I do, to play U15, well, her team will be all U13s because the high schools takes all high schoolers. But then who is your daughter left playing with and against? Who knows how good the quality is? Is it better than the JV? If the good 8th and 9th graders my daughter's played and against are gone (A level players in Association), what to do? So in my instance I'm left to wonder which option is better as an 8th grader.

That's when cost does become an issue. Reducing the ice bill by 80% is a massive factor. Consistent ice times is a factor. Getting to eat dinner as a family is a factor. Getting enough sleep during adolescence, because there's no more 8pm practices before the 6am wake-up call, is a factor. And those are all reasons, if competition is moderately equal, that lead kids to playing HS hockey, rather than U15, as 8th graders.

hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:30 am

High school varsity and JV play 25 games schedules not 20. Also they are skating 6 days a week the whole season. If not playing a game they are practicing.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:43 am

hockeywild7 wrote:High school varsity and JV play 25 games schedules not 20. Also they are skating 6 days a week the whole season. If not playing a game they are practicing.
Girls high school varsity teams play every Saturday (game or practice)? That can't be universal?

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:07 pm

hockeywild7 wrote:High school varsity and JV play 25 games schedules not 20. Also they are skating 6 days a week the whole season. If not playing a game they are practicing.
Thanks. Couldn't remember the exact number

hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:55 pm

Most girls HS games are Tuesday and Saturday. If for some reason teams don't have a Saturday game most will practice.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:40 am

Is 60 hours of practice and 50 games better than 120 hours of practice and 25 games?

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:08 am

InigoMontoya wrote:Is 60 hours of practice and 50 games better than 120 hours of practice and 25 games?
Is that what it is? Wow.

Practice is the most important...other then developing confidence with moves, etc in games. Thanks for pointing that out if its true.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:21 am

Mavs wrote:
InigoMontoya wrote:Is 60 hours of practice and 50 games better than 120 hours of practice and 25 games?
Is that what it is? Wow.

Practice is the most important...other then developing confidence with moves, etc in games. Thanks for pointing that out if its true.
So in sum....

-120 hours of practice (combinations of ice time / off-ice training)
-25 games
-1/4 to 1/5 of the cost of association hockey
-Ice time is right after school, so the kids will be home for dinner
-Competition will be either very good (varsity) or comparable to U15 (most JV teams).

If that's the "pro" list, I think my daughter should try out for the high school in 8th grade. Never mind whether she makes it. It seems like it is worth a shot.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:15 am

jg2112 wrote:
Mavs wrote:
Is that what it is? Wow.

So in sum....

-25 games
-Competition will be either very good (varsity) or comparable to U15 (most JV teams).

If that's the "pro" list, I think my daughter should try out for the high school in 8th grade. Never mind whether she makes it. It seems like it is worth a shot.
Of course the right "answer" is unique to each player, but add

*transportation is provided and if I can't get to a game there is no scramble to find my daughter a ride, and that if I am or plan to go I don't have to get there an hour or hours before the game

to the "pro" list, I concur with jg

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:25 am

jg2112 wrote:
Mavs wrote:
Is that what it is? Wow.

So in sum....

-25 games

Some communities, which have only one rink, have to get creative as to when their practices are scheduled. They're not always after school. I know the majority are after school though.