notable high school takes

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:33 am

Langseth 8th for EP

Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:48 pm

jg2112 wrote:It's worth mentioning, though not a middle schooler, that there was some chatter about Taylor Henthorne leaving Roseville this summer for a NW Metro school.

Turns out she is on the Hill-Murray varsity for this, her senior year.

Not a surprise...this topic was talked about on the High School forum....Roseville lost 3 varsity players from last year, due to transfer.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:10 am

Hansonbrother wrote:
jg2112 wrote:It's worth mentioning, though not a middle schooler, that there was some chatter about Taylor Henthorne leaving Roseville this summer for a NW Metro school.

Not a surprise...this topic was talked about on the High School forum....Roseville lost 3 varsity players from last year, due to transfer.
And by transfer you mean move?
I don't know much about Roseville but was it so bad that families had to move to play varsity hockey for one year?

titleist

Post by titleist » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:42 am

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:

I don't know much about Roseville but was it so bad that families had to move to play varsity hockey for one year?
two by move, one was 8th grader who enrolled elsewhere. I can't speak for the family that left for their senior year; only they will know what was best for them.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:44 pm

titleist wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:

two by move, one was 8th grader who enrolled elsewhere. I can't speak for the family that left for their senior year; only they will know what was best for them.
Agree.
I was wondering about the program not the particular player.

titleist

Post by titleist » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:57 pm

titleist wrote:
Hansonbrother wrote:

Agree.
I was wondering about the program not the particular player.
A lot has changed for Roseville the last 10 years. Demographics have changed dramatically and the continuous open enrollment taken advantage of by the St Paul school kids has lead to some interesting walks in the hallways.
As far as hockey goes, the long term tradition of hard work and lunch pail hockey on both the girls and boys has seemingly been replaced by low numbers and everyone gets a medal. The association has thrown good money after bad and the result has been low numbers, and lower skills. But on the bright side, they've also managed to chase away some good volunteer coaches along the way too. Until the school itself gets better, you will continue to see the better players leaving this program at high school. Its already happening to their bantam program...

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:19 am

My initial find online has been confirmed: Madelyn Skelton is listed on the MSHSL as a varsity 8th grader for Cambridge.

As for Roseville, its girls program just doesn't have the numbers anymore. Only 20 U12s, only one U10 team, no U8 team. In the middle school ages there is a girl who will get called up to varsity next year as an 8th grader (the PeeWee captain the past two years), but after that there is not much talent comparable to the solid to good to great players that have been in the program the past 20 years.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:41 am

jg2112 wrote:My initial find online has been confirmed: Madelyn Skelton is listed on the MSHSL as a varsity 8th grader for Cambridge.

As for Roseville, its girls program just doesn't have the numbers anymore. Only 20 U12s, only one U10 team, no U8 team. In the middle school ages there is a girl who will get called up to varsity next year as an 8th grader (the PeeWee captain the past two years), but after that there is not much talent comparable to the solid to good to great players that have been in the program the past 20 years.
Will it become a Hill Murray feeder program with the top girls playing Pee Wee and then transfer to play girls at a private school. Sad to see. Either that or kids move to Mounds View, Cretin, Mahtomedi, White Bear, Stillwater, etc

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:48 am

Mavs wrote:
jg2112 wrote:My initial find online has been confirmed: Madelyn Skelton is listed on the MSHSL as a varsity 8th grader for Cambridge.

Will it become a Hill Murray feeder program with the top girls playing Pee Wee and then transfer to play girls at a private school. Sad to see. Either that or kids move to Mounds View, Cretin, Mahtomedi, White Bear, Stillwater, etc
I think you're partially correct - in my opinion (and my daughter has played with or plays with these girls since she started skating 7 years ago so I know them well), the top 4 U12 girls in Roseville currently play PeeWee. One is PeeWee A, the other three are PeeWee B.

As far as moving, I don't know. Truth is you only need to find 13 good female players over a 4-5 year timeframe to be a good varsity team. Roseville has good coaching and support, and most of the young girls in the program want to be there. After all, having a number of Hall of Famers and Olympians in close proximity to the program is a big boon. The problem is there just aren't a lot of skaters, so even if just one moves out, it can torpedo a lot of plans.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:01 am

Didn't she play varsity last year?
Which teams have both jv and varsity north of here?

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:28 am

Skelton? She played U12A for Andover.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:55 pm

jg2112 wrote:

I know that she played at MN Made (Super League 1&2) for at least 2 years prior to last year (not 100% if played there last year or not).

She is a nice kid and a great player. IMO would make 75% or more of the Varsity teams in the state.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:54 am

Spent another 15 minutes checking mshsl rosters this am...some interesting things happening on the east side...

Nine 8th graders on Simley?!?

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/schoolactpag ... school=423

Woodbury has 3 8th graders and 4 9th graders.

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/schoolactpag ... school=494

Two 7th graders on South Saint Paul.

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/schoolactpag ... school=429

massalsa

8th grade O-Royal represent!!!

Post by massalsa » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:32 pm

8th Grade O-royal lights it up in game 1!

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/game/show/10913712

Hat trick and an assist for Mobley...

Nevertoomuchhockey

Re: 8th grade O-Royal represent!!!

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:16 pm

massalsa wrote:8th Grade O-royal lights it up in game 1!

http://www.mngirlshockeyhub.com/game/show/10913712

Hat trick and an assist for Mobley...
Red Wing was struggling, not to take anything away from OM. She was as good as any 8th grader I've ever watched.

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:57 pm

Lakeville South, Robbinsdale, Apple Valley all have 8th graders. Valley has many on the roster. Not sure how many play.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:30 pm

5 8th graders started last night for Forest Lake

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:50 pm

zambonidriver wrote:5 8th graders started last night for Forest Lake
They should wear baggy breezers in a tribute to the Fab Five of 25 years ago....

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:36 pm

jg2112 wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:5 8th graders started last night for Forest Lake
They should wear baggy breezers in a tribute to the Fab Five of 25 years ago....
:lol:

observer

Post by observer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:33 am

Bad idea by parents, players and HS Coach! How's the U15 team doing?

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:36 am

observer wrote:
9-1 victory for FL the other night u-15 team just lost there first game of the year. Very strong team. The 5 8th graders are skating a regular shift and are doing well!

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:47 am

observer wrote:
Too many places, this is the only option. There are fewer U15 teams in the state than varsity hockey teams, I would imagine. In many places the high schools will not have teams without 8th graders (in some instances, 7th graders too).

MN_Bowhunter

Post by MN_Bowhunter » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:56 am

observer wrote:
I don't disagree but having these kids playing at the right level would require a lot of teams to fold and/or co-op. Which actually does need to happen. I can guarantee Hill Murray doesn't want to play Simley (nine 8th graders on roster) anymore than Simley wants to play them. Games like those are a complete waste of everybody's time.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:04 pm

MN_Bowhunter wrote:
observer wrote:
I don't disagree but having these kids playing at the right level would require a lot of teams to fold and/or co-op. Which actually does need to happen. I can guarantee Hill Murray doesn't want to play Simley (nine 8th graders on roster) anymore than Simley wants to play them. Games like those are a complete waste of everybody's time.
Do away with conference play and go to intersection play then you don't have the Simley HM matchup or the HM mahtomedi matchup you are still going to have blowouts based on strength of programs no matter what you do.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:04 pm

massalsa wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

I know that she played at MN Made (Super League 1&2) for at least 2 years prior to last year (not 100% if played there last year or not).

She is a nice kid and a great player. IMO would make 75% or more of the Varsity teams in the state.
Ok a month in, still think that?

This isn't about her specifically, but a general question - approx 7-9 games in, are the 7,8,9th grade association eligible players making a difference? In the right place? Would decisions to stay at 15s or play high school have impacted the individual performance and development of these players and teams? I know it's impossible to generalize, but that's exactly what MN Hockey will attempt to do in analyzing the 15u health and viability going forward.