Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:18 am

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
Gotothenetman wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
Gotothenetman wrote:
HuskiesHockey wrote:Some clarification about Andover. Total non school based waive ins to the girls program last year were 3. Two played 12A and one played 10B. At the time we agreed to take these players there was a concern that we didn't have enough girls to field viable (at least ten skaters) teams at both levels. Two girls moved in prior to registration and an eight grader who was age eligible decided to play 12's again so we ended up with 25 skaters total at the u12 level after the waive ins. The 2 players were very good and definitely helped that team have success. Having said that, the same group minus the waive ins and move ins was a top 5/6 team in the state at U10A two years earlier. The St Cloud kid people are referring to moved to Andover this summer. There will be zero waived in kids at u12 or u10 this year. A lot of people have moved to Andover in the last few years, most I would suspect looking for good schools, good community, and good hockey. The hockey draw is pretty simple, good talent but not so many numbers that people think good players might get displaced. Our culture and coaching are pretty good too. It's important to note that without the people who have moved to Andover over the past couple of years Andover, like many other associations, would have been forced to coop in order to field viable teams. People will continue to make accusations but I will assure that if there was any validity to some of the suspicions it would have come out by now. We have no friends on the D10 board and it's a well known fact that there is an anti Andover vibe on that board. I'm sure they would love nothing more than to catch us doing
something improper.
Please no one question Huskie(Andover)hockey because they do everything on the up and up. It's just everyone else is jealous I guess. I not sure what we are all jealous of since they have not won anything yet. I guess maybe we all should be jealous of the MN03
Stop it.

If other associations were as committed to girls hockey as Andover, girls hockey would be in a much better place in Minnesota.
I would argue the state of the girls game in MN is in very good shape, and would argue that is because many other associations are strongly committed to the girls game. They just don't go out and tell everyone about it. Most of them if not almost all just develop what they have and not bring good them in from other places.
Is your argument/opinion about girls hockey being in good shape, based on the 6 High Schools that had to fold their girl's programs in the last couple years or the 8 that no longer have JV teams? Or is it the 20 new coops at youth over the past 4 years?

Is the phrase "most if not all associations developing their own talent" based on the over 100 individual waivers approved last year in girls youth hockey (which includes school based waivers)?

Just wondering DP - this is the 2nd time you and you alone have brought up the MN 03's in a thread? No one, but apparently you, really cares. And if you quit bringing it up, no one would talk about it.
Thanks Cliff Claven for all the facts. I am basing it on the growth of U15 and U12 teams in our district. I am basing it on the number of MN girls having success at the national team and camp level. I am basing it on the number of MN girls committing to colleges. There will always be some waivers and coops in the girls game based purely on numbers as compared to the boys game. There are a lot of great coaches committed to growing the girls game all over not just in the NW Metro.

Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:18 am

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
Gotothenetman wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
Gotothenetman wrote:
HuskiesHockey wrote:Some clarification about Andover. Total non school based waive ins to the girls program last year were 3. Two played 12A and one played 10B. At the time we agreed to take these players there was a concern that we didn't have enough girls to field viable (at least ten skaters) teams at both levels. Two girls moved in prior to registration and an eight grader who was age eligible decided to play 12's again so we ended up with 25 skaters total at the u12 level after the waive ins. The 2 players were very good and definitely helped that team have success. Having said that, the same group minus the waive ins and move ins was a top 5/6 team in the state at U10A two years earlier. The St Cloud kid people are referring to moved to Andover this summer. There will be zero waived in kids at u12 or u10 this year. A lot of people have moved to Andover in the last few years, most I would suspect looking for good schools, good community, and good hockey. The hockey draw is pretty simple, good talent but not so many numbers that people think good players might get displaced. Our culture and coaching are pretty good too. It's important to note that without the people who have moved to Andover over the past couple of years Andover, like many other associations, would have been forced to coop in order to field viable teams. People will continue to make accusations but I will assure that if there was any validity to some of the suspicions it would have come out by now. We have no friends on the D10 board and it's a well known fact that there is an anti Andover vibe on that board. I'm sure they would love nothing more than to catch us doing
something improper.
Please no one question Huskie(Andover)hockey because they do everything on the up and up. It's just everyone else is jealous I guess. I not sure what we are all jealous of since they have not won anything yet. I guess maybe we all should be jealous of the MN03
Stop it.

If other associations were as committed to girls hockey as Andover, girls hockey would be in a much better place in Minnesota.
I would argue the state of the girls game in MN is in very good shape, and would argue that is because many other associations are strongly committed to the girls game. They just don't go out and tell everyone about it. Most of them if not almost all just develop what they have and not bring good them in from other places.
Is your argument/opinion about girls hockey being in good shape, based on the 6 High Schools that had to fold their girl's programs in the last couple years or the 8 that no longer have JV teams? Or is it the 20 new coops at youth over the past 4 years?

Is the phrase "most if not all associations developing their own talent" based on the over 100 individual waivers approved last year in girls youth hockey (which includes school based waivers)?

Just wondering DP - this is the 2nd time you and you alone have brought up the MN 03's in a thread? No one, but apparently you, really cares. And if you quit bringing it up, no one would talk about it.
Thanks Cliff Claven for all the facts. I am basing it on the growth of U15 and U12 teams in our district. I am basing it on the number of MN girls having success at the national team and camp level. I am basing it on the number of MN girls committing to colleges. There will always be some waivers and coops in the girls game based purely on numbers as compared to the boys game. There are a lot of great coaches committed to growing the girls game all over not just in the NW Metro.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:24 am

Gotothenetman wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
Gotothenetman wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
Gotothenetman wrote:
something improper.
Stop it.

You're welcome. Thanks for clarifying.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:24 am

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
jg2112 wrote:Let's get back on point in this thread.

It looks like Madelyn Skelton is on the Cambridge-Isanti varsity team as an 8th grader. Congrats!
Really? Where is that posted?
I found it here. Not sure of the veracity, but if it's on the Internet : )......

http://www.hudl.com/team/197226

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:40 am

jg2112 wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:

It looks like Madelyn Skelton is on the Cambridge-Isanti varsity team as an 8th grader. Congrats!
I found it here. Not sure of the veracity, but if it's on the Internet : )......

Ahhh, HUDL. Pretty sure that is not the official varsity team. I believe their tryouts go through Saturday.

puckdreams

Post by puckdreams » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:50 am

Notable High School Takes:

No disrespect intended to any individual players.

Cambridge Isanti/Mora/Pine City was 2-22 Last Season.

8th Graders have often been present on this program's Varsity Roster.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:53 am

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:

Ahhh, HUDL. Pretty sure that is not the official varsity team. I believe their tryouts go through Saturday.
Well, dang nabbit. Here I thought I had a scoop.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:20 am

puckdreams wrote:Notable High School Takes:

No disrespect intended to any individual players.

Cambridge Isanti/Mora/Pine City was 2-22 Last Season.

8th Graders have often been present on this program's Varsity Roster.
Very true and a few 7th graders as well.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:43 am

Is Saturday a big scrimmage day? Do most teams pick their teams after the scrimmages?

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:48 pm

Mavs wrote:Is Saturday a big scrimmage day? Do most teams pick their teams after the scrimmages?
I think most teams have a big weekend scrimmage schedule. I know a few teams who will use it to determine bubble jv vs varsity but have already notified girls who didn't make either team, if that makes sense.

I know Centennial and Totino Grace are both playing up north. Maybe Benilde and Chas/Chan if I remember correctly.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:59 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
Mavs wrote:Is Saturday a big scrimmage day? Do most teams pick their teams after the scrimmages?
I think most teams have a big weekend scrimmage schedule. I know a few teams who will use it to determine bubble jv vs varsity but have already notified girls who didn't make either team, if that makes sense.

I know Centennial and Totino Grace are both playing up north. Maybe Benilde and Chas/Chan if I remember correctly.
makes sense

massalsa

A handful of rosters...

Post by massalsa » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:07 pm

The thread got me thinking so I just wasted about 15 minutes..

A handful of rosters are up on MSHSL website...I just sort of hopped around to see who is up...Edina, EP (partial from what I have heard thru the grapevine), Maple Grove, Eastview, Breck, and others...here is a link to get you started:

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/schoolactpag ... school=143

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:30 pm

Alright, here's a few young ones:

Olivia Mobley ( 8 ) and Charlotte Rich (7) on SLP/Hopkins.

Calla Frank ( 8 ) for White Bear Lake.

Fiona Claugherty ( 8 ) for East Ridge.

Two 7th and 8th graders for Luverne.

Eleanor Winges (7, previously from WBL) and Alex Belde ( 8 ) made JV for Hill-Murray.

nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:23 pm

jg2112 wrote:Alright, here's a few young ones:

Eleanor Winges (7, previously from WBL) and Alex Belde ( 8 ) made JV for Hill-Murray.
Frank is a 2000 birth yr 9th grader...

tourneytickssince59

Post by tourneytickssince59 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:41 am

Stillwater took 2 8th graders at defense

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:11 pm

Three 8th graders on Blake's varsity roster.
(I'm not saying salsa was fishing, but just in case...)

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:27 pm

InigoMontoya wrote:

Was just about to post this. Also, 8th grader Martinson on Apple Valley.

And here's a big one.....

Lawry (7) made Chisago Lakes's varsity roster (so did 2 eighth graders). This is big because she's one of the skaters from that small U12A team that has been doing well so far this year. They are now down to 9 skaters.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:47 pm

jg2112 wrote:
InigoMontoya wrote:

Lawry (7) made Chisago Lakes's varsity roster (so did 2 eighth graders). This is big because she's one of the skaters from that small U12A team that has been doing well so far this year. They are now down to 9 skaters.
Nelson eighth, Peterson eighth, Parent eighth, Forest Lake, Dornseif eighth, mahtomedi, Ligday eighth, Stillwater Shuster, eighth Stillwater, Karelitz, eighth St. Paul blades. Bertolas Anoka ninth

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:26 pm

zambonidriver wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
InigoMontoya wrote:

Nelson eighth, Peterson eighth, Parent eighth, Forest Lake, Dornseif eighth, mahtomedi, Ligday eighth, Stillwater Shuster, eighth Stillwater, Karelitz, eighth St. Paul blades. Bertolas Anoka ninth
So look at all the girls we've identified so far. Imagine if they were all playing U14/U15, or in some instances U12.

This is a large number of middle school girls playing high school, and I don't think it's going to stop. There are a lot of high end 02/03s going to 8th grade next year who will go right to the varsity in their home associations.

massalsa

Post by massalsa » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:22 pm

InigoMontoya wrote:

Not fishing at all. I saw the original HUDL link to Cambridge/Isanti and thought I could take a look at the MSHSL website which I used last year at games a couple of times if they did not have a program available. It's all going to be there sooner than later for all teams.

Looks like Anoka, Blake, and a few others have updated since last night. Still waiting to see Wayzata, Minnetonka, Benilde, and a few others. Many are waiting until after a scrimmage or two this weekend...

I think that a couple of teams have posted incomplete (too few in some cases and too many skaters in other) rosters...cant believe that EP is only rostering 1 G and 3 D for the season. I have heard thru the grapevine that that there are at least 2 8th/9th graders that made Varsity for EP.

C_R

Post by C_R » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:43 pm

jg2112 wrote:
So look at all the girls we've identified so far. Imagine if they were all playing U14/U15, or in some instances U12.

This is a large number of middle school girls playing high school, and I don't think it's going to stop. There are a lot of high end 02/03s going to 8th grade next year who will go right to the varsity in their home associations.
Interesting observation JG - are there dots to be connected here?

A direct quote from the H.S. Girls Director report to the Mn Hockey Board from September:

"... C. The number of high school teams and players continues to decrease. For this coming season, the MSHSL will have a decrease in three high school girl’s hockey programs. Coon Rapids is forming a co-op with Spring Lake Park, St Louis Park is now a co-op with Hopkins HS, and Lake of the Woods will not field a team this year. The total number of high school programs this season will be 117, down from a high of 127 teams. This is still an upside down pyramid as the number of girl’s U14 teams for the 2014-15 season was approximately 56 teams. This quotient of youth to high school teams is not a healthy scenario for the future. The MSHSL data points out that girls hockey had the second largest declines in numbers of participants over the past few years. ... The topic of how to grow the girl’s game will be a roundtable discussion item at the fall clinic.

Link: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... -09-20.pdf

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:49 pm

C_R wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

A direct quote from the H.S. Girls Director report to the Mn Hockey Board from September:

"... C. The number of high school teams and players continues to decrease. For this coming season, the MSHSL will have a decrease in three high school girl’s hockey programs. Coon Rapids is forming a co-op with Spring Lake Park, St Louis Park is now a co-op with Hopkins HS, and Lake of the Woods will not field a team this year. The total number of high school programs this season will be 117, down from a high of 127 teams. This is still an upside down pyramid as the number of girl’s U14 teams for the 2014-15 season was approximately 56 teams. This quotient of youth to high school teams is not a healthy scenario for the future. The MSHSL data points out that girls hockey had the second largest declines in numbers of participants over the past few years. ... The topic of how to grow the girl’s game will be a roundtable discussion item at the fall clinic.

Apparently this HS Girls Director doesn't understand how to analyze the health of girls hockey. There is no place for legit data and facts when discussing such things. Apparently you can look at a snap shot of one single districts 12U and 14U level, then look at the success that a small group of HP players are having and come to the obvious conclusion that girls hockey is as strong as ever. If anyone asks you how you come to that conclusion, just call them a name and talk yourself up, by over exaggerate your experience.

Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:08 pm

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
C_R wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

Apparently this HS Girls Director doesn't understand how to analyze the health of girls hockey. There is no place for legit data and facts when discussing such things. Apparently you can look at a snap shot of one single districts 12U and 14U level, then look at the success that a small group of HP players are having and come to the obvious conclusion that girls hockey is as strong as ever. If anyone asks you how you come to that conclusion, just call them a name and talk yourself up, by over exaggerate your experience.
Well Northwoods I guess all we can hope for is that you and Huskiehockey save the girls game before it crumbles. I am also so happy my oldest was able to get to the college ranks before there is no more girls game in MN. Please save us.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:18 pm

It's worth mentioning, though not a middle schooler, that there was some chatter about Taylor Henthorne leaving Roseville this summer for a NW Metro school.

Turns out she is on the Hill-Murray varsity for this, her senior year.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:41 pm

jg2112 wrote:It's worth mentioning, though not a middle schooler, that there was some chatter about Taylor Henthorne leaving Roseville this summer for a NW Metro school.

Turns out she is on the Hill-Murray varsity for this, her senior year.
Hmmmm.