notable high school takes

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Pucksnprayers

Post by Pucksnprayers » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:38 pm

seems people are quick to scrutinize over the success of a program. If we were middle of the road or average with results, no low brow.

A lot of effort and passion is what the Andover program is about. Besides hockey, has anyone ever commented on what a nice school district they have, or what a nice quiet community it is?

Let's put it to rest.

Good luck to all this winter"

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:44 pm

Pucksnprayers wrote:seems people are quick to scrutinize over the success of a program. If we were middle of the road or average with results, no low brow.

A lot of effort and passion is what the Andover program is about. Besides hockey, has anyone ever commented on what a nice school district they have, or what a nice quiet community it is?

Let's put it to rest.

Good luck to all this winter"
"Let's put it to rest."

????

You posted more than anyone on the thread. And reading back, I don't read anything bashing your team. "Scrutinize" does not equal "criticize." This forum, all forums, exist to scrutinize. The best, the worst, and the middle of the road and average.
The guy who started the thread was looking at transfers and move-ups. About 14s to jv or varsity among our youngest talent. Maybe you just want to get back to topic and not shut it down? No "low brow" here. You are reaching, and maybe protesting too much. I believe that generally, where there is smoke there is fire. IN REAL LIFE. But the opposite is so often true on this board. We love the smoke. We could have completely exaggerated or fictionalized the fire. In other words, your last comment was kinda out of nowhere??

"Effort and passion" are what this entire sport is about. Any sport really. Any hobby or interest. Andover doesn't have a monopoly on that. Be proud of your program; there is a lot to be proud of. But please don't feel offended or slighted be people here stating the rules, giving opinions, and not loving the idea of 8 and 10u recruiting.

And could you find out the answer about Andover/Cambridge feeding 8-12 D1 level players to metro schools birth years 97 98 99? That is extremely interesting, and you have the insider knowledge!

yolo

Post by yolo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:12 am

I can't speak for Cambridge, but I am not aware of any Andover girls leaving to go to other metro schools.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:56 am

Not sure you have to be from either of those two towns to know who left the Cambridge hockey program for greener pastures. Not sure if any who left are locks for D1 or even D1 caliber - with the exception of the one. Not sure on all of the spellings.

1 - Cheyann Harris - Blake (I believe is the only D1 commit)
2 - Emily Oden - Edina
3 - Lauren Boettcher - St Paul United
4 - Oliva and Claire Boettcher - Duluth Marshal
5 - Maddie Oelkers - Warroad
6 - Jenn Phillipes - Warroad
7 - Joslynn Olson - Warroad
8 - Katie Carlson - BE

HockeyDad2015

Post by HockeyDad2015 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:14 am

To my knowledge they haven't won anything but their districts. The only player everyone talks about coming from Andover is Skelton, now I see she's actually from Cambridge. So who are the players that nobody knows? They must have more then Skelton. Are all their good players not from from Andover. That would be hilarious.

HuskiesHockey

Post by HuskiesHockey » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:28 am

Some clarification about Andover. Total non school based waive ins to the girls program last year were 3. Two played 12A and one played 10B. At the time we agreed to take these players there was a concern that we didn't have enough girls to field viable (at least ten skaters) teams at both levels. Two girls moved in prior to registration and an eight grader who was age eligible decided to play 12's again so we ended up with 25 skaters total at the u12 level after the waive ins. The 2 players were very good and definitely helped that team have success. Having said that, the same group minus the waive ins and move ins was a top 5/6 team in the state at U10A two years earlier. The St Cloud kid people are referring to moved to Andover this summer. There will be zero waived in kids at u12 or u10 this year. A lot of people have moved to Andover in the last few years, most I would suspect looking for good schools, good community, and good hockey. The hockey draw is pretty simple, good talent but not so many numbers that people think good players might get displaced. Our culture and coaching are pretty good too. It's important to note that without the people who have moved to Andover over the past couple of years Andover, like many other associations, would have been forced to coop in order to field viable teams. People will continue to make accusations but I will assure that if there was any validity to some of the suspicions it would have come out by now. We have no friends on the D10 board and it's a well known fact that there is an anti Andover vibe on that board. I'm sure they would love nothing more than to catch us doing
something improper.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:43 am

Andover has some very high end talent and depth. I would say their top players are/were;

1 - Kennedy Little
2 - Ellie Tami
3 - Peyton Hemp
4 - Jamie Nelson

All excellent hockey players and would have been top players on any 12UA team in the state.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:22 am

HuskiesHockey wrote:Some clarification about Andover. Total non school based waive ins to the girls program last year were 3. Two played 12A and one played 10B. At the time we agreed to take these players there was a concern that we didn't have enough girls to field viable (at least ten skaters) teams at both levels. Two girls moved in prior to registration and an eight grader who was age eligible decided to play 12's again so we ended up with 25 skaters total at the u12 level after the waive ins. The 2 players were very good and definitely helped that team have success. Having said that, the same group minus the waive ins and move ins was a top 5/6 team in the state at U10A two years earlier. The St Cloud kid people are referring to moved to Andover this summer. There will be zero waived in kids at u12 or u10 this year. A lot of people have moved to Andover in the last few years, most I would suspect looking for good schools, good community, and good hockey. The hockey draw is pretty simple, good talent but not so many numbers that people think good players might get displaced. Our culture and coaching are pretty good too. It's important to note that without the people who have moved to Andover over the past couple of years Andover, like many other associations, would have been forced to coop in order to field viable teams. People will continue to make accusations but I will assure that if there was any validity to some of the suspicions it would have come out by now. We have no friends on the D10 board and it's a well known fact that there is an anti Andover vibe on that board. I'm sure they would love nothing more than to catch us doing
something improper.
Thanks for the update. Always good to know the real story and end speculation. I assume the Farmington kid also moved to Andover last year. GK People move to Edina, Minnetonka, Stillwater, Mahtomedi, Mounds View, Wayzata, etc all the time due to good areas to live/schools and it probably isn't a coincidence they have good athletics too. Andover is now in that same discussion. The areas that are growing with housing and/or have great school reputations will always be beneficiaries of movement but hopefully not too much recruiting at age 10.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:52 am

Huskieshockey. I was told once that nobody in their right mind would be a district director and D10 has certainly proved that with the past two!

HockeyDad2015

Post by HockeyDad2015 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:05 am

Only heard of Peyton Hemp. I watched them play last year a little bit. Very fast and skilled. I knew they had some other players too. I'm sure Andover appreciates the shout out of other players then just Skelton. They gave Edina all they could handle.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:18 am

Kennedy Little would probably be on here for the reason this conversation was started - if their school district allowed 8th graders to play varsity.

HockeyDude20

Post by HockeyDude20 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:25 pm

Listen, I don't know why everyone is so hell bent on ripping on Anywhereover...I mean, Andover. LOL. Just kidding. In all seriousness, they are doing things the right way there, in my opinion.

The word "recruiting" gets thrown out there all the time in an attempt to insinuate that there are some dealings that may not be above board. Whether it is EP football, Apple Valley wresting, Hopkins basketball, St. Thomas Academy Hockey, or Andover girls youth hockey. The fact of the matter is that all of these aforementioned programs have one thing in common- winning. Some have a longer history of a winning tradition than others but when programs are successful the reality is that people want to be a part of it. So move-ins, waive-ins, and open enrollees are a natural byproduct of winning athletic programs. The foundation and philosophy of the program came first. Not the move-ins or waive-ins. If I were moving and hockey was a consideration (and those that know me know that would absolutely be a factor) or I lived in a crappy association with no viable options for my daughter then Andover is one place, on a very short list, I would consider.

Andover, specifically, has done a phenomenal job at building a strong girls hockey association. It started with a guy who is a tremendous advocate for girls hockey and has a passion for establishing a strong and lasting tradition of girls hockey. His advocacy, enthusiasm, and passion goes well beyond the borders of Andover. I don't live in Andover and I see it plenty.

It just unfortunate that people, rather than heaping praise on a program that deserves it, choose to rip it. In my opinion, the reason is because of two very human elements: envy and jealousy. People want what they can't have (a great youth hockey program) hence the envy or they are worried that someone/something is going to take something from them (like losing their best player to Andover because what they offer is inadequate) hence the jealousy.

Andover Youth Hockey has built a solid foundation that will carry their program to greater heights in the years to come. Perhaps other associations could learn a thing or two from them.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:58 pm

Who "ripped" Andover? Must have missed that on these 2 pages.

And Northwoods how old are those players? Or rather, were they all at a single youth level together? That would be impressive. I've watched Oden and I think she was a national development player.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:38 am

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Who "ripped" Andover? Must have missed that on these 2 pages.

And Northwoods how old are those players? Or rather, were they all at a single youth level together? That would be impressive. I've watched Oden and I think she was a national development player.
just off memory, I could be wrong on one or two, but I think I got it right.

Harris - Senior - D1 commit
Oden - Sophomore - National Camp
L. Boettcher - Junior - OS Prospect
O & C Boettcher - Freshman
Oelkers - Sophomore - National Camp
Phillipes - Junior - National Camp
Olson - Freshman - made it to St. Cloud
Carlson - Sr

In addition, Cambridge's current team had a Freshman make it to St. Cloud and a Sophomore make to the National Camp.

Grass is always greener. However, I would bet all the above are happy with their decisions.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:52 am

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:Who "ripped" Andover? Must have missed that on these 2 pages.

Carlson - Sr

In addition, Cambridge's current team had a Freshman make it to St. Cloud and a Sophomore make to the National Camp.

Grass is always greener. However, I would bet all the above are happy with their decisions.
The above is what grade I believe they are in this year. And for all of you in the south that feel a slight wind from the north this morning, it is the collective sighs from all the Cambridge people reading this.

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:32 am

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:

Carlson - Sr

The above is what grade I believe they are in this year. And for all of you in the south that feel a slight wind from the north this morning, it is the collective sighs from all the Cambridge people reading this.
Wow

Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:07 pm

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:

Carlson - Sr

My buddy from Centenniel told me that a girl from Cambridge was one of their top bantam goalies. Don't know if that is right now or in the recent past. And E. Oden has/had siblings at Shattuck? Gotta imagine they skated in Cambridge as well?

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:36 pm

Nevertoomuchhockey wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:
NORTHWOODS HOCKEY wrote:

Carlson - Sr

My buddy from Centenniel told me that a girl from Cambridge was one of their top bantam goalies. Don't know if that is right now or in the recent past. And E. Oden has/had siblings at Shattuck? Gotta imagine they skated in Cambridge as well?
Last name "Peck" maybe? Left Cambridge about the same time Harris did. Haven't seen or read anything on her in years.

And yes, E. Oden's two older siblings (brother and sister) skated in Cambridge as well.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:52 pm

Any news breaking?

Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:20 pm

HuskiesHockey wrote:Some clarification about Andover. Total non school based waive ins to the girls program last year were 3. Two played 12A and one played 10B. At the time we agreed to take these players there was a concern that we didn't have enough girls to field viable (at least ten skaters) teams at both levels. Two girls moved in prior to registration and an eight grader who was age eligible decided to play 12's again so we ended up with 25 skaters total at the u12 level after the waive ins. The 2 players were very good and definitely helped that team have success. Having said that, the same group minus the waive ins and move ins was a top 5/6 team in the state at U10A two years earlier. The St Cloud kid people are referring to moved to Andover this summer. There will be zero waived in kids at u12 or u10 this year. A lot of people have moved to Andover in the last few years, most I would suspect looking for good schools, good community, and good hockey. The hockey draw is pretty simple, good talent but not so many numbers that people think good players might get displaced. Our culture and coaching are pretty good too. It's important to note that without the people who have moved to Andover over the past couple of years Andover, like many other associations, would have been forced to coop in order to field viable teams. People will continue to make accusations but I will assure that if there was any validity to some of the suspicions it would have come out by now. We have no friends on the D10 board and it's a well known fact that there is an anti Andover vibe on that board. I'm sure they would love nothing more than to catch us doing
something improper.
Please no one question Huskie(Andover)hockey because they do everything on the up and up. It's just everyone else is jealous I guess. I not sure what we are all jealous of since they have not won anything yet. I guess maybe we all should be jealous of the MN03

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:24 pm

Gotothenetman wrote:
something improper.
Please no one question Huskie(Andover)hockey because they do everything on the up and up. It's just everyone else is jealous I guess. I not sure what we are all jealous of since they have not won anything yet. I guess maybe we all should be jealous of the MN03
Stop it.

If other associations were as committed to girls hockey as Andover, girls hockey would be in a much better place in Minnesota.

Gotothenetman

Post by Gotothenetman » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:34 pm

jg2112 wrote:
Gotothenetman wrote:
something improper.
Stop it.

If other associations were as committed to girls hockey as Andover, girls hockey would be in a much better place in Minnesota.
I would argue the state of the girls game in MN is in very good shape, and would argue that is because many other associations are strongly committed to the girls game. They just don't go out and tell everyone about it. Most of them if not almost all just develop what they have and not bring good them in from other places.

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:33 am

Gotothenetman wrote:
jg2112 wrote:
Gotothenetman wrote:
something improper.
Stop it.

I would argue the state of the girls game in MN is in very good shape, and would argue that is because many other associations are strongly committed to the girls game. They just don't go out and tell everyone about it. Most of them if not almost all just develop what they have and not bring good them in from other places.
Is your argument/opinion about girls hockey being in good shape, based on the 6 High Schools that had to fold their girl's programs in the last couple years or the 8 that no longer have JV teams? Or is it the 20 new coops at youth over the past 4 years?

Is the phrase "most if not all associations developing their own talent" based on the over 100 individual waivers approved last year in girls youth hockey (which includes school based waivers)?

Just wondering DP - this is the 2nd time you and you alone have brought up the MN 03's in a thread? No one, but apparently you, really cares. And if you quit bringing it up, no one would talk about it.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:35 am

Let's get back on point in this thread.

It looks like Madelyn Skelton is on the Cambridge-Isanti varsity team as an 8th grader. Congrats!

NORTHWOODS HOCKEY

Post by NORTHWOODS HOCKEY » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:02 am

jg2112 wrote:Let's get back on point in this thread.

It looks like Madelyn Skelton is on the Cambridge-Isanti varsity team as an 8th grader. Congrats!
Really? Where is that posted?