Weekend U12A results

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:23 pm

Snap Happy wrote:
jg2112 wrote: I have a friend who is a local coach and long-time referee. He has told me that beyond Edina Green, Andover, Tonka (who has been drilled by Andover), and maybe Hermantown, there is a lack of skill and consistency at the U12 level. And for as "inconsistent" as the U12 pool is this year, he says it will be far worse next year. Last year he said the U10 level was the worst he's ever seen it.
Did your friend elaborate at all on this? Is it puck skills, skating, teamplay? I wonder if growing participation in AAA hockey has caused any of this. Knowing that it's harder to develop hands than it is skating - could it be that girls are skating year round and their feet are getting better, but their hands aren't able to keep up? This could make for a game that looks less skilled as there is less time and space.
The top end players can't go around the lower end players like orange cones like even 10 years ago because even the lower end can skate...just like you said. There isn't the time and space to roast kids like there used to be.

In other words, the difference between the top and middle isn't as big as it used to be and same for the bottom end.

The skill is there but its not Natalie Darwitz (going way back to exaggerate the point) going around all 5 like they are standing still.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:38 am

I know we are all expecting Edina and Andover to meet at the end but any surprises along the way in playoffs?

D2 has Stillwater vs Mahtomedi in the championship game and NE Metro and Forest Lake have to battle back from the back door

I see Orono-Westonka just beat Minnetonka

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:56 am

U12A American:

Edina
Cottage Grove

Rosemount
Shakopee

Farmington
Cha-Cha

Minnetonka
Eastview

U12A National:

Andover
Stillwater

OMG
Elk River

Mahtomedi
Orono-Westonka

River Lakes
Centennial

U12A Olympic:

Proctor-Hermantown
Thief River Falls

Warroad
Fergus Falls

Roseau
Duluth

Alexandria
East Grand Forks

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:18 am

Mavs wrote:U12A American:

Edina
Cottage Grove

Rosemount
Shakopee

Farmington
Cha-Cha

Minnetonka
Eastview

U12A National:

Andover
Stillwater

OMG
Elk River

Mahtomedi
Orono-Westonka

River Lakes
Centennial

U12A Olympic:

Proctor-Hermantown
Thief River Falls

Warroad
Fergus Falls

Roseau
Duluth

Alexandria
East Grand Forks
I understand why Duluth is in Regions (only 2 teams in D11), but go have a look over at YHH at their results this season.

I believe that team scored 2 goals this season, and lost a majority of games by over 10 goals. I'm going to pick Roseau in that one.

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:03 am

jg2112 wrote:
Mavs wrote:U12A American:

Edina
Cottage Grove

Rosemount
Shakopee

Farmington
Cha-Cha

Minnetonka
Eastview

U12A National:

Andover
Stillwater

OMG
Elk River

Mahtomedi
Orono-Westonka

River Lakes
Centennial

U12A Olympic:

Proctor-Hermantown
Thief River Falls

Warroad
Fergus Falls

Roseau
Duluth

Alexandria
East Grand Forks
I understand why Duluth is in Regions (only 2 teams in D11), but go have a look over at YHH at their results this season.

I believe that team scored 2 goals this season, and lost a majority of games by over 10 goals. I'm going to pick Roseau in that one.
Wow...

Fergus Falls and East Grand Forks look maybe a little better, but not much record-wise.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:01 am

In a shocking turn of events, its Edina vs Andover in the finals. Minnetonka did give Edina a run in the semi-finals with a 3-2 game.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:09 am

Mavs wrote:In a shocking turn of events, its Edina vs Andover in the finals. Minnetonka did give Edina a run in the semi-finals with a 3-2 game.
I'll be at the game today and will file a report later on. I expect a marvelous title game.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:53 pm

Andover edged Edina...