Weekend U12A results

Discussion of Minnesota Girls Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

jg2112

Weekend U12A results

Post by jg2112 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:48 pm

Districts have started play, and some results are starting to roll in from official District games as well as "scrimmages." Here's a few I have heard about:

Mahtomedi 1 - Forest Lake 0.
Stillwater 8 - St. Paul 1.
NE Metro 6 - Mounds View 6.
Minnetonka 12 - Lakeville North 1.
Minnetonka 4 - Chaska / Chanhassen 0.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:41 pm

Woodbury 3
Mahtomedi 0

Edina Green 13
Bloomington 1

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:12 pm

Forest Lake tied Roseville 3-3 and play Roseville again today.

Looks like Andover and Edina will be the class.

Rosemount putting up big numbers vs marginal teams but scoring is scoring.

Minnetonka Black, Chisago, Orono-Westonka, Cha-Cha, Shakopee, some others...the Cake Eater usually separates so that will be interesting to see

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:54 am

Mavs wrote:Forest Lake tied Roseville 3-3 and play Roseville again today.

Minnetonka Black, Chisago, Orono-Westonka, Cha-Cha, Shakopee, some others...the Cake Eater usually separates so that will be interesting to see
Scores from yesterday include:

Forest Lake 5 - Roseville 0
St. Paul 3 - Mounds View 1

Saturday: Mahtomedi 1 - Stillwater 1.

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:05 pm

jg2112 wrote:

Interesting score there with Stillwater. Mahtomedi must have a hot goalie -- speaking of, I think this is the year of the goalie as I've seen a lot of great goaltending at 12A so far.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:28 am

Snap Happy wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

Interesting score there with Stillwater. Mahtomedi must have a hot goalie -- speaking of, I think this is the year of the goalie as I've seen a lot of great goaltending at 12A so far.
Mahtomedi's goalie is Kloos. She has bounced between MHT and White Bear the past four years, as 2 years ago WBL had no U10A team, and this year, no U12 teams at all.

Jones (Roseville) and Thompson (Forest Lake) are also two very, very good U12 goalies in D2.

Snap Happy

AAG Tourney

Post by Snap Happy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:17 pm

Anyone there this weekend have results of the tourney? Any surprises?? Looks like Hermantown might be for real this year...

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:07 am

Andover vs Edina in the Cake Eater should be a great game. There will obviously be other big games but that is the headliner

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:55 pm

Mavs wrote:Andover vs Edina in the Cake Eater should be a great game. There will obviously be other big games but that is the headliner
Just as you called it.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:42 pm

Snap Happy wrote:
Mavs wrote:Andover vs Edina in the Cake Eater should be a great game. There will obviously be other big games but that is the headliner
Just as you called it.
Andover won. What was the score?

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:34 pm

Mavs wrote:
Snap Happy wrote:
Just as you called it.
3-1. Green out shot gold 20-14.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:00 am

Snap Happy wrote:
Mavs wrote:
Snap Happy wrote:
Just as you called it.
3-1. Green out shot gold 20-14.
Interesting on both counts. Two very good teams, no doubt.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:17 am

Edina Green and Andover tied each other 4-4

These two are just heads and shoulders above everyone else. They should play each other at least once a month just so they can have competition.

Might be against MN Hockey but the might want to scrimmage some boys teams or U15 teams...probably can't due to rules.

Are these teams better than the Forest Lake, Roseau, Brainerd, Minnetonka and Edina of last year? Was last year a deeper top 10 so more of a drop off this year?

They just seem like they can beat #3+ with ease

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:28 am

Mavs wrote:Edina Green and Andover tied each other 4-4

These two are just heads and shoulders above everyone else. They should play each other at least once a month just so they can have competition.

Might be against MN Hockey but the might want to scrimmage some boys teams or U15 teams...probably can't due to rules.

Are these teams better than the Forest Lake, Roseau, Brainerd, Minnetonka and Edina of last year? Was last year a deeper top 10 so more of a drop off this year?

I have a friend who is a local coach and long-time referee. He has told me that beyond Edina Green, Andover, Tonka (who has been drilled by Andover), and maybe Hermantown, there is a lack of skill and consistency at the U12 level. And for as "inconsistent" as the U12 pool is this year, he says it will be far worse next year. Last year he said the U10 level was the worst he's ever seen it.

I think last year was much deeper than this year. I don't think there's any question Edina Green and Andover will likely play for the U12 title in Cottage Grove in March.

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:12 am

I would agree that the talent and depth of the 12's is not as good as last year. Also see a big drop in the goalie talent from last year to this year.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:29 am

Might be against MN Hockey but the might want to scrimmage some boys teams or U15 teams...probably can't due to rules. Against the rules.

Are these teams better than the Forest Lake, Roseau, Brainerd, Minnetonka and Edina of last year? Was last year a deeper top 10 so more of a drop off this year?These teams are not even close to the teams that were in the state tournament last year.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:54 am

zambonidriver wrote:

Might be against MN Hockey but the might want to scrimmage some boys teams or U15 teams...probably can't due to rules. Against the rules.

Are these teams better than the Forest Lake, Roseau, Brainerd, Minnetonka and Edina of last year? Was last year a deeper top 10 so more of a drop off this year?These teams are not even close to the teams that were in the state tournament last year.

Focusing upon your quote here from above that "these teams are not even close to the teams that were in the state tournament last year."

What do you think is causing this to occur in girls hockey?

At least from what I've seen and heard about this year, there are the top 4-5 teams. Then there is a group of 5-8 teams that are solid but inconsistent. The rest, who knows - those teams might have 1-4 solid to very good players but have structural defects (not enough skaters, a poor goalie, etc.) that causes them to founder.

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:26 am

jg2112 wrote:
zambonidriver wrote:

Focusing upon your quote here from above that "these teams are not even close to the teams that were in the state tournament last year."

What do you think is causing this to occur in girls hockey?

At least from what I've seen and heard about this year, there are the top 4-5 teams. Then there is a group of 5-8 teams that are solid but inconsistent. The rest, who knows - those teams might have 1-4 solid to very good players but have structural defects (not enough skaters, a poor goalie, etc.) that causes them to founder.
Numbers seems like the programs with big numbers are out west. even the more affluent communities on the east side are down numbers wise. In my travels this year I have seen lots of mite aged boys playing but few mite age girls.

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:41 am

Wait, these teams are not even close to the teams that were in the state tourney last year???

Confused

Do you mean Edina and Andover are not as good as last years state tourney teams or are you saying after Andover and Edina the drop off is like a cliff vs last year where it was much deeper and a top 10 team could beat anyone?

Please clarify, thank you

zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:08 pm

Mavs wrote:Wait, these teams are not even close to the teams that were in the state tourney last year???

Confused

Do you mean Edina and Andover are not as good as last years state tourney teams or are you saying after Andover and Edina the drop off is like a cliff vs last year where it was much deeper and a top 10 team could beat anyone?

i am saying the top teams in 12 this year couldn't come close to the 8 teams in the u12 a state tournament last year. Any one of those teams could have won it last year.

InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:19 pm

What happened to all of the 03's we kept hearing about all summer? Are they all in Andover, Edina, or at the Made?

Mavs

Post by Mavs » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:28 pm

zambonidriver wrote:
Mavs wrote:Wait, these teams are not even close to the teams that were in the state tourney last year???

Confused

i am saying the top teams in 12 this year couldn't come close to the 8 teams in the u12 a state tournament last year. Any one of those teams could have won it last year.
So Forest Lake (2015) would smoke Edina/Andover (2016)?
How would Mound (2014) do?

A lot of the teams in the state tourney (last year) were knocked off multiple times prior to state. This years top two look like they will roll into Feb. I can make an argument that it was way deeper and maybe more talent spread out over top 15 teams but does that make the top better too? Not sure.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:11 pm

InigoMontoya wrote:What happened to all of the 03's we kept hearing about all summer? Are they all in Andover, Edina, or at the Made?
At least a plurality (maybe 6 or 7?) play for Andover. Others are spread out all over the state, from Rochester to Grand Rapids, from Minneapolis to Wayzata, and a couple are at MN Made.

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:33 am

jg2112 wrote:At least from what I've seen and heard about this year, there are the top 4-5 teams.Then there is a group of 5-8 teams that are solid but inconsistent.
There are 4 nice teams between #3 and #10 that have 10 skaters, 1 goalie (Farmington, Hermantown, Rosemount, Cottage Grove). For these teams in particular it will be tough to remain consistent all year when you factor in illness, injury, players gone for one reason or another. And they will for sure have down games relating to these. But when they are hot, they are real tough.

Snap Happy

Post by Snap Happy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:47 am

jg2112 wrote: I have a friend who is a local coach and long-time referee. He has told me that beyond Edina Green, Andover, Tonka (who has been drilled by Andover), and maybe Hermantown, there is a lack of skill and consistency at the U12 level. And for as "inconsistent" as the U12 pool is this year, he says it will be far worse next year. Last year he said the U10 level was the worst he's ever seen it.
Did your friend elaborate at all on this? Is it puck skills, skating, teamplay? I wonder if growing participation in AAA hockey has caused any of this. Knowing that it's harder to develop hands than it is skating - could it be that girls are skating year round and their feet are getting better, but their hands aren't able to keep up? This could make for a game that looks less skilled as there is less time and space.