Moderators: Mitch Hawker, karl(east)

Snap Happy

White Bear Lake 12A?

Post by Snap Happy »

Does White Bear have a 12A team?
jg2112

Re: White Bear Lake 12A?

Post by jg2112 »

Snap Happy wrote:Does White Bear have a 12A team?
You've seen the rankings, I presume?

White Bear doesn't have a U12 program at all. Its players have waivered out to Roseville, Park-Cottage Grove, Mahtomedi and one plays JV at Hill.

Imagine being the high school coach and realizing you only have 8 girls spread across two grades in the pipeline (and White Bear isn't the only D2 team with that problem - at least 2 others are in the same boat at the travel ages).

White Bear does have U10A and B teams which aren't doing too well in District, but at least they have teams, unlike Mahtomedi which didn't have enough skaters to field a U10A team this year.
Snap Happy

Re: White Bear Lake 12A?

Post by Snap Happy »

jg2112 wrote:
Snap Happy wrote:Does White Bear have a 12A team?
You've seen the rankings, I presume?

White Bear doesn't have a U12 program at all. Its players have waivered out to Roseville, Park-Cottage Grove, Mahtomedi and one plays JV at Hill.

Imagine being the high school coach and realizing you only have 8 girls spread across two grades in the pipeline (and White Bear isn't the only D2 team with that problem - at least 2 others are in the same boat at the travel ages).

White Bear does have U10A and B teams which aren't doing too well in District, but at least they have teams, unlike Mahtomedi which didn't have enough skaters to field a U10A team this year.
Yes I guess I had "thought" I knew the 12A landscape this deep into the season and was surprised to see an undefeated team pop up. It's a bummer though about the numbers for that program. We have the same thing going on in our HS right now with very few players in the pipeline.
Mavs

Post by Mavs »

There was a discussion on here somewhere about the decline of WBL below their very good now 9th grade group. Some programs are doing great with numbers so is it really the economy of a few years ago or lack of focus/recruiting good athletes at the young ages.

Mahtomedi did a nice try hockey for free deal I saw on Minnesota Hockey or somewhere, where they got tons of kids out to skate. Mahtomedi has always had surprisingly good number for the population.

Mounds View and Irondale came together. Will WBL and Roseville soon join forces?

Tartan and NSP have been together (NE Metro) at girls youth and now together at the high school too.

Minnetonka, Wayzata, Edina, Stillwater all have huge numbers. Andover appears super healthy
zambonidriver

Post by zambonidriver »

Ask clapper why the WBL numbers are down...